IGNORED

Same shaft in driver and fairway wood?

Note: This thread is 6328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i've never tried using the same shafts in my driver and fairway wood but i'm wondering if that if a shaft works for your driver, it should work equally well in your fairway wood? i'm thinking about experimenting but does anyone have any experiences with this?

: Callaway FT-3 w/ UST V2 67S
: Callaway X 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 70S
: Callaway Big Bertha Fusions 3-AW w/ Nippon NSPro 990GH Uniflex
: Callaway 56* & 60* w/ DGS300
: Odyssey White Hot XG #3: Titleist Pro V1

I have the same shaft in my driver as in my 3 wood.. Both are Rombax shafts they look different from color but they react almost the same.. I almost always use the same shaft in both..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

it makes sense for consistency. i just didn't know if since 460cc heads require a different shaft spec than a smaller headed fairway wood.

: Callaway FT-3 w/ UST V2 67S
: Callaway X 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 70S
: Callaway Big Bertha Fusions 3-AW w/ Nippon NSPro 990GH Uniflex
: Callaway 56* & 60* w/ DGS300
: Odyssey White Hot XG #3: Titleist Pro V1

it makes sense for consistency. i just didn't know if since 460cc heads require a different shaft spec than a smaller headed fairway wood.

Johnnyallthetime,

Your logic is impeccable. However, logic and golf don't always go hand in hand. Although players often don't stray very far in their bend profile from driver to three wood, it's important to let your fitter know your game and exactly how your clubs fit into it. Also different swing styles and launch conditions can often lead to different bend profiles of shafts to properly fit a player. Contrary to popular belief, I've found that my best players typically put a very slight descending blow on their fairway woods while putting a slightly ascending blow with their drivers. A player who uses their three wood primarily off the deck likely will need something with a softer tip which spins the ball a bit more to help stop the ball on greens. Players who primarily hit their three wood off the tee can often benefit from something that's slightly stiffer in the tip to help increase distance and control. Also, it's important to know how a shaft's characteristics change as the weight increases. On occasion, the thicker walls in a heavier shaft can lead to a very different bend profile of shaft. The UST ProForce V2 comes to mind as an example. The 65g version plays significantly softer overall compared to the 85g version. All the more reason to find a good clubfitter to help your game.

I use the same shaft in my driver and 3 wood (fujikura prototype 70 x). I used to have a fujikura speeder 757 x on my driver but I did not like the feel, so I changed it to the one that I have on my 3 wood.
I really believe that having the same shaft makes you feel more comfortable and you can hit your best shots out of that confidence.
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Note: This thread is 6328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!