IGNORED

difference between irons and drivers shot technique

pawulinho17
Note: This thread is 4634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hay all,

I was looking over golf forums, and have noticed, that many people says, that drivers and iron shots are different. I knew that, but don't know what is the exact difference between them ( i'm just an amateur ). Can anyone explain it - more or less ?

Thanks

Well, there are quite a few differences. The biggest difference is the motion of the swing in general. With irons, you're swinging with the bottom of the arc landing in front of the ball.

(AoA = Angle of Attack)

Irons - The ball is hit first, followed by the ground. A perfect contact point will leave a divot directly in front of where the ball is(was). - AOA

Driver - You are hitting the ball on the upswing (ie: the bottom of the arc is already behind the ball and the driver is on it's way up when making contact with the ball). + AOA

I definitely recommend YouTube and you can search for words such as "Golf Driving Technique" "Golf Driving Stance", etc.

Sorry for the offtop, but i see you're playing on callaways X24 and callaways X22. Are you satisfied with them? because i'm looking for clubs and many times i've heard that callaways would be perfect for the beginning, so i will be really grateful if you'll say about them some word :)

Well, let me just start off by saying although it looks like I may be "brand loyal", I'm not. I just found a great deal on the irons and balls and could not pass up on the deal. Now, do I love the irons? Absolutely. They are very forgiving, perfectly weighted for my swing and I was fitted so they're just perfect. The thing to remember is that virtually any set of good irons (Whether they be Titleist, Ping, Callaway, Adams, Cobra, Taylormade, etc.) will fit you at the end of the day if you take time to get fitted and it's done properly.

Rather than going for what irons look good, or have a big name behind them, just visit a professional and spend some time analyzing your swing through a monitor. The professional will be able to recommend what type of clubs, shafts and grips would work best for you.

If you're set on Callaway, I would definitely recommend something from the X series. I personally love mine at the end of the day!

Hah in poland we DO NOT have that kind of shops :/ Of course we have a pro shop but never with the simulator, thats why i have such a problem :/

Originally Posted by Spyder

Rather than going for what irons look good, or have a big name behind them, just visit a professional and spend some time analyzing your swing through a monitor. The professional will be able to recommend what type of clubs, shafts and grips would work best for you.

With the technology available, there should be at least one shop near you that has some type of monitoring system available to your region. You could also search for any local Demo Day that may be scheduled, or even a fitting van. I know that Demo Days and Fittings are very frequent here in the United States, but unfortunately I'm not very familiar with any other country in terms of fittings/demos.

Hopefully you are able to at least try different clubs out before you purchase a set. It really is not a good feeling when you spend any amount of money, let alone $300-600 USD on a set of clubs that do not fit you - or that you are not happy with.

Yeah, that's why i don't want to get clubs from US - i just can't "try" them. Maybe when i will find those club in my country ( hahha it will be like looking for a miracle ) i will decide for shipping. But thanks for help i think i will take a deeper look into those X series :)

Note: This thread is 4634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!