Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captkevin

Help with my bag

8 posts in this topic

Over the last 2 months I've started to upgrade my equipment that I've played for last few years. Right now I have R1 driver which I love and seeing parts of the course I've never seen before. RBZ 3 wood probably my favorite club right now as I can confindently go at par 5's in 2 now. Mizuno JPX 825 4-G wedge, JPX 56 SW and my putter. That leaves me with 2 clubs I can add. I really don't care for a lob wedge because I love my JPX 56 and feel very good with it from 80 yards and in from any situation. I've hit new a lot of 3 hybrids lately and the new Ping G25 has been my favorite and will most likely add that. So that leaves me with 1 club I can add. Besides a lob wedge what should I be looking at?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Well, you could always looks at a 5 wood depending on how close the loft is to the hybrid, but you don't need to have the maximum amount of clubs in your bag, if you have all of the lofts covered then that's just less weight that you have to carry around. (If you carry the bag)

Theoretically your lob wedge could be an add around the greens if you find yourself in Phil'esque situations.  I miss having a lob and find the bounce on my 56 too high for situations where I need to flop on tight grass.  What's the bounce on your 56?  If it is high, perhaps a low bounce 60 would be a good add...

I'd look at adding a 60* wedge.  You may be surprised at how they can help you around the green.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've thought about a 5wood, but with 15 degree 3wood and a 20 degree hybrid not sure it fits, but I guess there is about a 25 yard gap there. My game around the greens might be my best thing going right now so don't want to mess that up with adding a 60. I like the fact that I have one go to club inside 80yards and don't have a decision to make

Keep in mind, you can always just have 13 clubs in the bag and not necessarily have a 14th, especially if you're comfortable with the set now. But if you REALLY want that last club, I would also get a 60* or see if there's a distance gap between your 3 wood, 3 hybrid, and your 4 iron and put in a new club to fill it.

Without knowing the distance you hit each club, it's impossible to suggest where your yardage gaps are, if any.  Be honest with yourself, write down the AVERAGE (not your all-time best) distance for each club.  Then think about the course(s) you play most often, and what shots you may need to hit that you currently don't have the club to hit it.

For example, my home course has two par 3's, that are 205-215 yards.  I only had a 4-hybrid that I could hit 190, which always left me with a chip for a 2nd shot, and which led to too many bogeys.  I purchased a 3 hybrid that goes about 210 and now use it on those two holes with pretty good success. Maybe you have a couple of holes like that at your course.

Since you like your 56° wedge, there is no requirement for a 60° if you don't want it.

Depends on the loft of you 4 iron. If your 3 wood and 4i are 15* and 24* you could add 18* and 21* Hybrids or similar. However, if you're like me and have a 21* 4iron you're going to find it difficult to fit in 2 clubs without swapping clubs out.

Personally I'm going for an 18/19* Hybrid and a 60* lob wedge. I find it serves a specific purpose when I'm close to the green and have a bunker I want to get up and stop quickly in less than 35 yards

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

• My Swing (PumaAttack)
      Dude, he like, literally, answered some of the questions you're asking in this post in the post you quoted. You are right about one thing, though.  If you're already working with an instructor, you shouldn't be muddying the waters with advice from other sources.  In fact, Erik and Mike make points to not offer advice when they know that, so you should have just mentioned that from the start.
    • My Swing (PumaAttack)
      @mvmac @iacas I have a friend who is also on Evolvr and got feedback today from his coach that his swing is looking great and has no changes at this time. I looked at his swing.  He goes from really shallow at A3 and then slightly steeper at a5.  Why is that ok for him and not for me?  Seems a little hypocritical, eh?
    • 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational
      Still a shot for the top 3 players in the world to all have won the last tournament they played at the same moment in time, which I don't believe has ever happened in the history of the game.  #pgatourhasneverbeenbetter    Ok, that hash tag was a little douchy, but c'mon, this shit is good.
    • Lowest score you've seen?
      Lowest ive ever witnessed is 71 twice by me.Thats saying something considering I play in tournys with very good players.My 71s were not in tourny conditions though.
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      But because they play on courses that are considered quite difficult compared to the average home course, wouldn't their up & down % be expected to increase due to having closer misses on average - particularly with slower greens to hold approaches? The comment above is not to discount this, but only emphasize how the two go together. If you apply a fantastic long game on a shorter course on average they will have an easier time being more consistent and hitting the ball closer to the pin on average and therefore making more putts. Or do you think they would have the same expected proximity on one of our home courses as they would on the tougher tour courses and setups? I get you on the tournament prep being very different to hitting a course blind, but to some extent the OP is comparing how we play on our home courses day-in, day-out vs. the tour pros moving from place to place. How would we score visiting a course blind relative to our home course where most of the scores are posted and we are very familiar with the layout and greens. Granted pros make it a point to know this stuff with yardage books and memory. Still switching between venues and conditions rather suddenly vs. gradual changes we would tend to experience on a home course must add some difficulty. I came across a good study that analyzed all PGA tournament scores for 2007 including field average adjustments. He had the unadjusted scoring average that year as 70.704. If you figure the average course setup is ~ CR 75 and add one stroke for 'tournament conditions' (and added difficulty of Major setups) then that was about 5.3 strokes below average rating. So relative to a Course Rating (slope should not matter to a pro), and assuming a standard normal distribution, 95% of the scores should range between -6.7 and -3.9 below the rating. However, his analysis detected two interesting features, the curve (with a ton of samples) is approximately symmetric with a ~ .4 skewness. This right skew means the most frequently expected result (the mode) is actually slightly lower than the mean. So that implies that even on tour setups the lower than average scores are expected just a bit more frequently (the left tail and shoulder are slightly thicker and probability for scores lower than the mode slightly higher.). Here's an approximation of what the distribution would look like relative to strokes below the CR. In comparing courses with higher average scores (like the U.S. Open) the study found that the standard deviation of scores increased. The 'tougher test' created more of a separation between the players. Also the players whose scores tended to skew left were poorer players on average in terms of results. They averaged a relatively high score, but they could go really low sometimes. The relevance this has to the thread is that on the easier home courses that most of us tend to play, the tour players would be more bunched in their expected scores with higher probabilities around the mean of -5.3 relative to the CR and possibly more toward the low side with the left-skewing, less-consistent scorers reducing the size of the right tail and extending the left while holding the 'field average' the same. It could skew the distribution toward lower expected score (though the most frequently expected value would still be around the mode). But what would you expect as a total spread for the average scratch population? You agree that with the average population of golfers by handicap there's a decrease in score variability with increasing skill versus the average population at each handicap level having the same average scoring distribution, yes? IMO, the answer to the OP greatly depends on the CR. On my course from the tips, they'd be expected to shoot under 65 over 50% of the time. On a CR of 72, I'd expect  below 67 over 50% of the time. At Oakmont (in non-Open setup), under 73 over 50% of the time. And that would be without accounting for a possible 'going low' effect from the typically easier home course setups we face (not including Oakmont there. They would face some hazards you don't find on tour either - lost balls could be an issue for some. I'm not sure I agree that they'd expect to putt worse. At the least because I would expect their proximity to the hole to increase on all shots due to the typically shorter length (shorter irons on average into each hole) along with relatively slower, softer greens.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. bigtosh90
      bigtosh90
      (26 years old)
    2. dopplegvnger
      dopplegvnger
      (24 years old)
    3. Frank62
      Frank62
      (54 years old)