IGNORED

Iron shaft flex question? Please help!

Note: This thread is 4063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should I use my grandfather's clubs regardless of knowing the flexibility?

• Yes, Use your grandfather's clubs
    • No, Use the R7s

Hello,

Long story somewhat shorter, a year and a half ago I bought a nice used set of Taylormade R7s (irons, 4-AW) Regular flex, and being a young boy, my body is slowly changing and I am able to swing much faster now. To the point I believe I need stiff flex shafts now. Money is hard on my family right now, so I do not want to buy a new set of irons or reshaft (would cost a fortune.)

So, before this set, I played with my grandfather's custom set from a while ago (10 years, plus or minus 5). They have very small heads, no offset, practically perfect for my style of play. I don't like playing with "shovels." Here's the thing- how do I tell if they have stiff shafts or not? What would you do in my situation? I plan on leaving Regular flex in my woods because I am on the fence of the two flexes (every "recommendation" I have seen, I am right in the middle) plus then I will tell my self not too swing so fast, therefore having a nice rhythm and tempo without rushing my swing!

Thanks so much and may god bless you all! ^_^

In My Bag..

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 9.5* Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade Burner 2009 15* Stiff GraphiteShaft
5 Wood: Powerbilt Oversized 21* Stiff Steel Shaft
3-PW Irons: Cleveland 588 Forged MB Irons with Stiff Shaft
SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 56* wedge with 14* of bounce, Stiff Steel Shaft

LW: N/A yet
Putter: Taylormade Monte Carlo 7 -34" with Superstroke 3.0 Slim grip
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Just hit your grandfather's clubs, take them to the range, play a round with them. If you like them better and you play better with them than your r7's, then keep using your grandfather's. It doesn't matter what classification the shaft falls into if you play better or like them better.

Just hit your grandfather's clubs, take them to the range, play a round with them. If you like them better and you play better with them than your r7's, then keep using your grandfather's. It doesn't matter what classification the shaft falls into if you play better or like them better.

Like Casey stated play whatever works best. I have a 98-102 Driver SS and Stiff flex through all my woods, but play TT TC R3 hardstepped (R+) in my irons. I feel the softer flex really helps me get the ball up in my long irons, short irons don't balloon but could come down a touch. But its really up to you to make the call.

Alright, but is there any like "homemade" test I could do, just a simple "try to bend a club slightly and see what is the firmest" or something to that effect?

In My Bag..

SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 56* wedge with 14* of bounce, Stiff Steel Shaft

How is it you know you need the firmest? One every shaft manufacturer has different stiffness. But you also can't just go off SS when determining flex. Really the best way is play with both sets and see what set plays the best. Also why do you think the Regs aren't the right shaft?

I agree with everyone else on this, if you play your grandfathers clubs better then play those regardless of the shaft that's on them.  If you have a good ********* around you (Golfsmith will do) ask them what they would recommend.  They can set you up on a simulator and tell you for sure if you should be playing regular or stiff.

I personally play all different flexes.  I have a Extra Stiff driver, the extra stiffness keeps the ball flight low which is what I prefer.  My two woods are both Firm (regular) flex and then my irons are all stiff.  It's all personal preference in my opinion.

Haha well thank you guys for making me realize that really it doesn't depend of the shaft flex as much as what club I hit better! I plan to go to the range soon, and hit the same club from each set, and see which one is best for me one by one! (For example, test out a 4 iron from my set and the 4 iron from my grandfathers.) Thank you for helping me resolve my absentmindedness and small thinking!

In My Bag..

General rule of thumb on steel shafts: The longer the final step section leading into the hosel, the more flexible the shaft.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

General rule of thumb on steel shafts: The longer the final step section leading into the hosel, the more flexible the shaft.

Wow thank you, this is perfect. I found a sticker and it turns out they are Regular as well as my newer set, but they are still a tad stiffer (based on this test, and I tried bending them a tad, not too much)

In My Bag..

Note: This thread is 4063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!