IGNORED

My Swing (garush34)

garush34
Note: This thread is 3049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd try this, take a practice backswing and feel like you "push" into your left hand with your right palm. I think you'll like the picture that produces. 

Thanks I'll give it a try. 

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

I'd try this, take a practice backswing and feel like you "push" into your left hand with your right palm. I think you'll like the picture that produces. 

Been working on this the last couple days, at what point in the backswing should I start the pressure/push on to the left hand? I have been doing it when the left arm has been parallel to the ground, is this right or too late?

Either way I am certainly feeling that it is a better position and it is starting to feel less weird. Just taking practice swings with no ball at the moment in the house so no idea of ball flight results just yet, should get out at the weekend to see.

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on trying to get a shorter swing the last couple weeks. Practice swings have been seeming like they have been where I wanted them but clearly by the videos below I haven't actually gotten anywhere with it. Need to keep working on that one.

but something I did notice in these videos is that my head is still moving forward on the downswing. Is it too much movement or just right, should I fix it? The driver swings below are terrible swings. Weight too much on the heels causing me to spin out and hit a big slice. 

Lots of work still to do. 

https://youtu.be/prwvrNgdAl4

Edited by garush34

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

Should be able to get 36 in over the weekend. Will try to get a few more videos in if I can. Anybody any thoughts on the above post? Or anything else I should work on?

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased some new irons. Got out for 9 holes on a this afternoon to try them out. Went with some Titleist Ap2's, 3-PW project X 5.5 shafts. Very different from the G15's I had before. Go distances out of them, similar to before the change. Was very cold with some frost on the ground, so would expect there to be an increase in distance. 

Been trying to work on staying centered more the last couple weeks along with shortening the swing. Still work to go, in for the long run over the winter. 

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

• 2 weeks later...

Have been revising some videos of my swing and some pros, and something I've noticed is the depth of my hands at the top of the swing. 

The picture show a blue line where I see most pros hands to be at the top. With mine being so deep, could this be something that leads to my long swing? Any thoughts?

image.png

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

Pretty big time swing...has all the vital parts doing what they are supposed to do.About the only thing I notice is possibly your weight shifting to the outside of your right foot rather than the inside on the takeaway......???.....which could lead to a longer swing....it's tricky to tell even in slo-mo,but the lower body is not shifting left just before you reach the top of your back swing as pros do which means your swing is being initiated from the top....but hard to say....if the case,it may be confirming that outside weight shift.

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

15 minutes ago, collapse said:

Pretty big time swing...has all the vital parts doing what they are supposed to do.About the only thing I notice is possibly your weight shifting to the outside of your right foot rather than the inside on the takeaway......???.....which could lead to a longer swing.

Thanks,

I have to say I've never noticed that before. That could also be the cause of the slight shift to the right that's still there. Ill give it a try and see what happens.

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

• 2 weeks later...

Been continuing work of the shorter swing this week and have found something that I think is doing the trick.

Something I've never noticed before is pressure in my arms. I have always had very relaxed arms in the swing with practically no feeling in them. But this week I have tried to feel a bit more pressure/resistance in the arms. Its not a tense feeling more of an engaged feeling. This seems to be leading to where I want it to be. Tried a few swings in the front garden and they are defiantly shorter. Took a few videos to confirm my feelings but are terribly low light so wont post them.

Will try to get a few videos this weekend if the course is open. Hopefully this is the step in the right direction to a shorter backswing.

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

On 12/2/2015 at 8:31 AM, garush34 said:

Have been revising some videos of my swing and some pros, and something I've noticed is the depth of my hands at the top of the swing. 

The picture show a blue line where I see most pros hands to be at the top. With mine being so deep, could this be something that leads to my long swing? Any thoughts?

It's primarily because you don't open your hips enough in the backswing so you create depth with your hands. If you allow your turn to create depth then you can allow your hands to track more upwards. I would focus on turning more and sooner in the backswing and getting those hands to track more upward. This will help clear up the depth issues. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In your face on video I notice a couple of things.1-when you watch the likes of TW,Jason ,Rory and others,they are in their golf address position with the club slightly off the ground while they adjust their lower hand grip.You don't do that,your lower hand is on the club from the upright position and then you lower yourself into address with that created angle.Also,2-your right hand thumb may not be supporting the club in away that helps a shorter swing.Check these right hand positions.Oh and in one of your DTL vids,after the shot you check your divot,which way did the ball go?Right?

tw.JPG

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

42 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It's primarily because you don't open your hips enough in the backswing so you create depth with your hands. If you allow your turn to create depth then you can allow your hands to track more upwards. I would focus on turning more and sooner in the backswing and getting those hands to track more upward. This will help clear up the depth issues. 

Thanks for the input. Unable to watch the video now, and this may be answered in the video. When you say turn sooner, do you mean turn sooner with the hips, shoulders or both?

15 minutes ago, collapse said:

In your face on video I notice a couple of things.1-when you watch the likes of TW,Jason ,Rory and others,they are in their golf address position with the club slightly off the ground while they adjust their lower hand grip.You don't do that,your lower hand is on the club from the upright position and then you lower yourself into address with that created angle.Also,2-your right hand thumb may not be supporting the club in away that helps a shorter swing.Check these right hand positions.Oh and in one of your DTL vids,after the shot you check your divot,which way did the ball go?Right?

tw.JPG

Yes the shot will have went right. That is my bad shot one that goes right of target. It used to be a lot worse but have managed to control it more over the last year or so.

In regards to the grip I used to have the right thumb going down the shaft but changed it about a year ago.

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

10 hours ago, garush34 said:

Thanks for the input. Unable to watch the video now, and this may be answered in the video. When you say turn sooner, do you mean turn sooner with the hips, shoulders or both?

Allow the hips to turn sooner. Your arms move a lot compared to how litter your hips turn.

11 hours ago, collapse said:

.Oh and in one of your DTL vids,after the shot you check your divot,which way did the ball go?Right

Divots are not really reliable because the ground conditions can change. If the ground gets harder than you might not even get much of a divot at all.

10 hours ago, garush34 said:

Yes the shot will have went right. That is my bad shot one that goes right of target. It used to be a lot worse but have managed to control it more over the last year or so.

In regards to the grip I used to have the right thumb going down the shaft but changed it about a year ago.

Here is a good thread on gripping the club.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Allow the hips to turn sooner. Your arms move a lot compared to how litter your hips turn. 

Divots are not really reliable because the ground conditions can change. If the ground gets harder than you might not even get much of a divot at all. 

http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/75436-how-to-grip-a-golf-club-commonalities-of-a-functional-golf-grip/?do=findComment&comment=760215

Here is a good thread on gripping the club. 

Thanks, Ill check out the link, think I have before but always good to refresh. Hopefully I can get out at the weekend and get to work.

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get out this yesterdayvfor a bit of practice. Tried a few different feels to shorten the swing. Started with try to keep the arms straight, they still went to just before 12 position but were higher than normal so more width at the top. Tried this for a few swings. 

Then tried the feeling of a half swing stopping way short at about 9. This had much better results with arms stopping at 10 with width. Stuck with this feeling the rest of the session with good results. 

The grip change is feeling more comfortable too, feels like the hands work together better now. Also had a few shots with full flight instead of the nets. Was getting a nice wee draw with similar distance off the slower speed. Should be good for when up to full speed and better conditions. 

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

Note: This thread is 3049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!