IGNORED

Help with grip

Note: This thread is 5968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just recently picked up golf. I played for about 3 months and separated 2 ribs. I had to take around 4 months off. When I started playing again I had a terrible slice. I went to get a lesson about a week ago. He changed my grip and now everything is going straight. My problem is I have 3 blisters from the new grip. One on my left thumb. I have replaced my glove and this one is going away. My other two are my left for finger and my right ring finger. They seem to be rubbing too much and wearing blisters on each other from when they are interlocked. Is there something I am doing wrong? Or does it just take some time to get used to it? Thanks in advance for the help.
Driver - FT-9
3W - FT-i Squarewood
Irons - 3-9
Wedges - CG12 48°, CG14 52°, 56° & 60°
Putter - Newport 1.5

Your doing nothing wrong. your fingers will develop calluses and this wont be a problem anymore. for now try tape. medical tape or hockey tape works great! good luck

You may also want to look at getting different grips. If your grip is not secure and your hand is slipping or if you have cords, you may want to look at a newer, softer grip.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

The most common reason for blisters is NOT how tight you hold onto the club but rather a lack of moving together with the club.

You have to move your body WITH the club so that your hands are not resisting the motion the club wants to make.

This is especially a problem for people who try to LEVERAGE the club to the ball instead of swinging it.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

The most common reason for blisters is NOT how tight you hold onto the club but rather a lack of moving together with the club.

Says who and what proof do you have? I have say to I don't agree with this.

You have to move your body WITH the club so that your hands are not resisting the motion the club wants to make.

This is especially a problem for people who try to LEVERAGE the club to the ball instead of swinging it.

Only bit of that post that made sense was the first sentance, and even that is flawed

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Says who and what proof do you have? I have say to I don't agree with this.

What causes blisters when you shovel dirt? It's a hard rubbing of the skin back and forth. If you move WITH the club, then there's no back and forth in your hands to cause the blisters.

My proof is the lack of blisters in the last 15 years while never playing with a glove and the countless numbers of people I've helped.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Still don't get what you mean, surely in a golf swing you have to move with the club, otherwise you wouldn't move, the only players who get blisters are either young or new to the game and their skin hasn't hardened in the areas where golf grips can cause blisters, are you telling me that Joe Builder has to move with the brick, and that's the reason he hasn't got blisters?

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Perhaps you are gripping the club too tight . Try having a relax three finger grip with your left hand . Gripping too tight creats tension on all your body parts needed for that perfect swing . Relax and just let your arms carry the club face to the ball .

Still don't get what you mean, surely in a golf swing you have to move with the club, otherwise you wouldn't move, the only players who get blisters are either young or new to the game and their skin hasn't hardened in the areas where golf grips can cause blisters, are you telling me that Joe Builder has to move with the brick, and that's the reason he hasn't got blisters?

There are places where a golfer tends to resist the motion and it's different for every golfer. You can move the club but resist the motion. For example, if you have a very slow transition at the top then the club slows to a stop before you start the forward swing. If you have a very quick transition then it is likely the club is still going back when you make your move forward. That abrupt change in direction will cause the club to tug on your hands... voila blisters.

There are places where a golfer tends to resist the motion and it's different for every golfer. You can move the club but resist the motion. For example, if you have a very slow transition at the top then the club slows to a stop before you start the forward swing. If you have a very quick transition then it is likely the club is still going back when you make your move forward. That abrupt change in direction will cause the club to tug on your hands... voila blisters.

Yeeah- If you are hitting alot of shots from certain kinds of turf, and you have some steepness at the bottom of your arc, blisters are inevitable. All good players at some time or other develop blisters and subsequently callouses. Really I have yet to see a blister develop because of an "abrupt" change of motion at the transition into the downswing but I guess it is possible

:cleveland: 460 Launcher
3 wood
20*, 24*hybrids
s59 4-pw
:cleveland: 64,60,54 degree wedges TPM cash-in FTW!we need cleveland and spalding graphics ASAP!

So then when you're swinging an axe, you think it's the hit at the end of the motion that causes the blisters and not the heavy object moving in your hands that causes the blisters? How very peculiar.

hitting shots with a golf club and swinging an axe are different actions... i find it peculiar that you'd compare the two.

3 wood
20*, 24*hybrids
s59 4-pw
:cleveland: 64,60,54 degree wedges TPM cash-in FTW!we need cleveland and spalding graphics ASAP!

It's obvious you just want to be combative and aren't interested in learning anything new so I will cease participating in this conversation with you.

Blisters will be affected by loads of factors, Length of time practising, the weather, how dry/moist your hands are, the state of your grips etc etc, how ever your talking about the blisters being caused by the friction created when the club changes transition phases and causes movement between the grip and the hand, if this is the case with your pupils i suggest you teach them a proper grip, as a technically sound grip would not allow significant movement for blisters to occur.

I can see why you compare a golf swing to swinging an axe, how ever you have over looked key elements effecting the creation of blisters; the handle of an axe will be near twice the size of a golf grip, gloves generally are not worn with an axe, axe's do not have 'golf grips' they're simply wood, which is a rough surface.

no similarities to the swinging of an axe. the axe swings on a single plane without any rotation of the clubhead. The axe swing is almost entirely done by the arms. Body rotation is absent.
I'm not combative, I just don't always enjoy hearing BS without responding. If that is combative, so be it.

3 wood
20*, 24*hybrids
s59 4-pw

I know when I'm swinging poorly and I toe the ball i.e. multiple shots at the range, I tend to get blisters. When I do swing proper and hit the ball in the correct place on the club face, I don't feel a thing.

Thats just my experience in getting blisters, I could be wrong.

In my BX56:

Driver: 200 Steel 8.5
3 Wood: 200 Steel
Irons: SS Oversized 3-PWWedges: 588rtg 60* Putter: TPi-26Ball: <-----Pro V1x----->

Note: This thread is 5968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!