or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I made a 100 mile cruise today to a good golf store to try out some putters. My local pro shops do not have a large selection and I have quickly grown dissatisfied with my putter (a toe-weighted, alignment aided John Daly mallet that came with my starter set of clubs). I am most comfortable with a square-square putting stroke and the toe weighted club fights against that. I found, after trying some face weighted clubs, that they were much easier and more consistent to stroke.

I came away with a YES! Tiffany model putter. I was already very interested in the YES! brand and their C-groove technology, so this may have influenced me to look extra-hard at their putters, but I didn't even pick one up until I had already test-driven six or seven other putters, just to be sure I didn't unfairly weight my decision by going right for the one I really wanted to try and immediately convincing myself it was the right one.



For $150 street, the YES! putters are a bargain. They come with a distinctive black, white, and yellow Winn grip with the YES! logo (which has a smooth texture, a little more 'slippery' than tacky, and one of the nicer grips I tried today, though not the best), and a really awesome padded synthetic leather headcover with a nice strong magnetic closure.

I tried out a good selection of putters, including some really weird looking ones from TaylorMade, Ping, Nike, and Odyssey. Many of them, especially the TaylorMade ones, are just too weird looking; Some of them stroked smoothly and had great balance but the look was just too distracting.



The Tiffany, some might argue, is a very weird looking putter at first glance as well; But the weird look is deceiving. Stand over this putter and line it up with a golf ball, and something amazing happens, at least to me. The curves on the alignment aid of the Tiffany putter have the same radius as a golf ball; They work on a similar idea as the ubiquitous 2-ball putters, or any number of other big name putters (some of the new Pings, and some of the Rossas), but for some reason the series of curved ball-shaped lines works so much better for me than any other style I tried.

The series of lines almost creates an illusion of motion even while standing still; When I line up with a golf ball and look down at the putter, it's as if the putter is begging me to draw it straight back and then slide it straight forward, that series of curves almost like an old-time zoetrope - I can imagine the series of curves as motion that's about to take place, and it really, really helps me make a smooth putting stroke.





If this doesn't make any sense or I sound like I'm crazy, so be it - for whatever reason, this alignment aid really works for me, not only to set up the right putting line, but to make a smooth stroke. Any number of putters I tried with a long, straight line would make an awkward wobble in the stroke as I tried to keep the line straight. This one just goes straight by itself.

The shape of the putter is a thin, straight blade, with the alignment aid coming straight back in a nice T shape with no other distractions. The alignment aid is even curved to have the same shape as a golf ball, similar to the Nickent Pipe putters without the obvious attempt to look exactly like a golf ball. The finish is satin grey or bronze, depending on the light, on top and the face, with black C-grooves and white outlining and logos. The bottom of the putter has a finish that another member called 'oil slick', which is what it looks like to me, as well. it's an organic, 'imperfect' looking glossy black, smooth finish that looks different on every individual putter. I think it looks really cool.



So how does it play? Very well. The head weight is very heavy for its size, especially considering how much of it is relieved. This helps make a smooth stroke. The C-grooves really, REALLY work. They are not very noticeable to me on short strokes (inside 10 feet) but when taking a long putt, the ball simply does not hop or skip at all. The ball comes right off the face in a smooth, fast roll. That's all I can really say about the C-grooves that hasn't been mentioned somewhere already - they work, period. I noticed the difference immediately.

This putter feels like it has a decent MOI due to the weight low and back; I realize it does not have any weight in the back corners, but it still feels like it resists twisting very well when hit off-center, and putts go straight off of the toe and heel, although with slightly reduced distance and without the full benefit of the C-grooves.



How's the feel? I think it's perfect. So much of feel for me has to do with the sound of the putter; This putter almost doesn't have a sound of its own. When you hit the ball pure, all you hear is the ball. No bell-like 'ping!' or metallic 'click' or 'thunk' - it's the pure sound of a ball rebounding. Hits off-center are just the tiniest bit more dull, letting you know you didn't get it quite perfect.

All in all I think the value of the product speaks for itself, the milling and finish are excellent, and I love the headcover. I have a feeling I am really going to like getting to know Tiffany - at the putting green this afternoon I was feeling more confident than I have in a while. Many more of my trouble putts (inside 10 feet) were dropping than usual, and I was getting long-range lag putts much closer to the hole than usual. The weighting of club and its alignment aid really helped me get putt after putt tracking along the same line.

The only downside to this club is that it doesn't help you pick up balls off the green. I tried the Odyssey Sabertooth at the store and it has a built in ball-picker-upper!

To view big pictures follow this link and select 'All Sizes' above the picture you want to view! http://flickr.com/photos/qwkdtsn/set...7605384525335/

post #2 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

I have the YES Sophia. Excellent putter. Well made. Great price. I changed the grip very quickly to a Wide Winn...
post #3 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Although I know putter grips are very individual I completely agree with putterhead, the stock Yes! grip is just too narrow...I quickly changed out to a Winn Midsize Pistol grip. Although I now have a sophia, my first Yes! putter was the tiffany...and sometimes I definitely miss it. The face-balance and weight of the putter just made that baby nearly swing itself. Although I don't really suffer anymore from bad alignment when putting...I also agree that this alignment aid seemed to work best for me when compared to other brand's offerings. The tiffany also works really good for people like myself that like to visualize and think about stroking the ball straight back and straight through (my putting stroke isn't actually straight back and straight through, just the way I like to think about rolling the ball...seems to helps). ...and ONE more thing I have to second from the OP is the feel and sound of Yes! putters. No ting, pink, ping, tink, whatever...when you hit the sweet spot of a Yes! putter you know. Like the OP said you hear only the ball rebounding off the putter face, along with a buttery-smooth, soft feel that just resonates through the body...you barely feel the ball. When you don't hit the sweet spot...you immediately know. To me the difference is that you discernibly feel the putter striking the ball, along with the sound being closer to the little knock you hear with non-milled/non-insert putters. All in all I have loved both of my Yes! putters...the feel...the audio feedback...the great roll it provides...if anyone is in the market for a new putter they should definitely give some Yes! putters a test run.
post #4 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Good review there mate!
post #5 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

You should have tried the Rife Barbados. more forgiving, better roll, and it looks beautiful.

Those concentric arcs on the Yes putters will really throw the ball at a slightly off angle putt if you hit the ball at the edge of the arc pattern on the putter face. Rife putters have the grid lines all across the face of the putter (trademarked, which is why Yes putters only have it in a concentric arc pattern on the face).
post #6 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by rogerhuang View Post
You should have tried the Rife Barbados. more forgiving, better roll, and it looks beautiful.

Those concentric arcs on the Yes putters will really throw the ball at a slightly off angle putt if you hit the ball at the edge of the arc pattern on the putter face. Rife putters have the grid lines all across the face of the putter (trademarked, which is why Yes putters only have it in a concentric arc pattern on the face).
in all fairness, the putter for you might not be the putter for someone else. I rolled the ball with nearly every putter I could get my hands on and could never get comfortable with any of the Rifes. For some reason it felt and looked like I was swinging a plastic putter head.
post #7 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by atltony View Post
in all fairness, the putter for you might not be the putter for someone else. I rolled the ball with nearly every putter I could get my hands on and could never get comfortable with any of the Rifes. For some reason it felt and looked like I was swinging a plastic putter head.
That's funny. Plastic putter head is exactly what i think of Yes putters.

There's a reason why Rife is the most popular putter on the Champions tour (without paying any of the players to use its putters).
post #8 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by rogerhuang View Post
That's funny. Plastic putter head is exactly what i think of Yes putters.

There's a reason why Rife is the most popular putter on the Champions tour (without paying any of the players to use its putters).
Once again, your cup of tea isn't mine, and it's fine that way. I only feel the need to reply to you since you came in this thread and decided to tell the dude who just posted a huge review of this putter that he screwed up...and should have tried a different putter (which I'm sure you're biased to). Even after him saying how happy he is with the new putter, etc.

And as far as Rife being popular on the Champions tour etc, congrats to them. Selecting a putter is such an individual process that I can't imagine you would actually think a Rife would be the best decision for everyone. And Rife is definitely not the first brand of putters to gain popularity on tour without compensation to the players...in fact nowadays it seems like some new company's putters are popping up every other month on tour.
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

I tried a Rife putter and thought it looked and felt cheap in comparison to the YES! and in comparison to a lot of other putters. That's just my opinion. I also purposely hit the YES! putter slightly off center and noticed absolutely no side-spin imparted by the grooves.

No offense but your posts come off as trolling. Brand new member with only two posts, both of them pushing your brand of putter - it seems like you have a hidden agenda. Work for Rife?
post #10 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by atltony View Post
Once again, your cup of tea isn't mine, and it's fine that way. I only feel the need to reply to you since you came in this thread and decided to tell the dude who just posted a huge review of this putter that he screwed up...and should have tried a different putter (which I'm sure you're biased to). Even after him saying how happy he is with the new putter, etc.

And as far as Rife being popular on the Champions tour etc, congrats to them. Selecting a putter is such an individual process that I can't imagine you would actually think a Rife would be the best decision for everyone. And Rife is definitely not the first brand of putters to gain popularity on tour without compensation to the players...in fact nowadays it seems like some new company's putters are popping up every other month on tour.
1. I agree: You are definitely entitled to your opinion, as am I.
2. You are reading to much into my first response to the original poster's review. I wasn't saying that he screwed up at all. You chose to intrepret it that way. I only told him that he should have tried a Rife putter, if he hadn't already done so. Just my opinion.
3. I agree: Rife wasn't the first non-paid product to enjoy success on any of the tours. Not that I ever claimed that it was. Again, I agree with you.
4. I agree: everyone has a preference as to which putter is best for them. I never forced my choice on the original poster. I just offered another alternative, assuming that he had never tried one. Again, you chose to read to much into my response (as a foreced choice), when I was merely offering an alternative (as my opinion).
5. Rife has been the most popular putter on the Champions Tour for almost 3 years now. It's safe to assume that the players using it have gone past their honeymoon period with the putter and still have it as their gamer.

It wasn't my intention to get into a debate with you over my opinion. i believe you just read too much into my first post, which again, was just my opinion in expressing another alternative choice to the original poster.
post #11 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
I tried a Rife putter and thought it looked and felt cheap in comparison to the YES! and in comparison to a lot of other putters. That's just my opinion. I also purposely hit the YES! putter slightly off center and noticed absolutely no side-spin imparted by the grooves.

No offense but your posts come off as trolling. Brand new member with only two posts, both of them pushing your brand of putter - it seems like you have a hidden agenda. Work for Rife?
Ok, glad to see that you had a chance to try a Rife putter. If it's not your cup of tea, that's ok.

You're entitled to your opinion about my posts. However, like the other poster, I think you're reading way to much into my posts. Again, I was just offering an alternative that you may or may not have thought of.

No offense, but you're still in the honeymoon period with your new putter. A better indicator will be if the putter is still in your bag 1 year from now. Will it be your gamer when you have $10 a hole skins match riding on the line?

As for a hidden agenda, I'm not the one who posted a lengthy review with numerous pics of a putter. I just posted a simple post with an alternative for you to try, if you hadn't already done so. I also included a fact of the success the putter has had on a tour as well (almost 3 years). I don't see how my post constitues a hidden agenda, but your entitled to your opinion, as am I. With all due respect, if there is someone who looks as if they were shilling for a product, it would be you (not that I necessarily believe that you are)....
post #12 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by rogerhuang View Post
Ok, glad to see that you had a chance to try a Rife putter. If it's not your cup of tea, that's ok.

You're entitled to your opinion about my posts. However, like the other poster, I think you're reading way to much into my posts. Again, I was just offering an alternative that you may or may not have thought of.

No offense, but you're still in the honeymoon period with your new putter. A better indicator will be if the putter is still in your bag 1 year from now. Will it be your gamer when you have $10 a hole skins match riding on the line?

As for a hidden agenda, I'm not the one who posted a lengthy review with numerous pics of a putter. I just posted a simple post with an alternative for you to try, if you hadn't already done so. I also included a fact of the success the putter has had on a tour as well (almost 3 years). I don't see how my post constitues a hidden agenda, but your entitled to your opinion, as am I. With all due respect, if there is someone who looks as if they were shilling for a product, it would be you (not that I necessarily believe that you are)....
Eh...whatever. I guess I apologize for reading too much into your posts. However there's no way the OP comes off as trying to sell people on Yes! putters more than you with Rife. He simply posted a review...with his own personal analysis of the putter. This is generally beneficial for anyone interested, as smart consumers will read whatever they can find about a product...even if it is just an opinion. He stated what he liked etc, specific things about the putter he noticed. You just kind said "Rife is great because other people like them"...

Again, whatever...i apologize if i made something out of your post that it wasn't. It just seemed that way.
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

All right, points made. I was just trying to post a beneficial review for anyone who might be interested. Your first posts were disrespectful to the time and effort I put in to take the pictures and describe my experience. I've ruffled some feathers on this board too, so I'm trying to make up for it by contributing something meaningful.
post #14 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by atltony View Post
Eh...whatever. I guess I apologize for reading too much into your posts. However there's no way the OP comes off as trying to sell people on Yes! putters more than you with Rife. He simply posted a review...with his own personal analysis of the putter. This is generally beneficial for anyone interested, as smart consumers will read whatever they can find about a product...even if it is just an opinion. He stated what he liked etc, specific things about the putter he noticed. You just kind said "Rife is great because other people like them"...

Again, whatever...i apologize if i made something out of your post that it wasn't. It just seemed that way.
Apology accepted. Thank you.

I don't believe the original poster was shilling for yes. However, I don't believe my post was trying to shill for Rife any more than the original poster for Yes.

Like you said, I just posted my opinion as generally beneficial for anyone interested. It's up to consumers to try products for themselves and decide what's best for them.

For what it's worth, at least you didn't accuse me (like the original poster) as being a plant for Rife putters. I found his accusation incredibly naive and childish. Based on his logic, everyone who is new to this board must be a plant for a company hawking its wares...


Anyway, thanks for the apology. Good golfing to you.
post #15 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
All right, points made. I was just trying to post a beneficial review for anyone who might be interested. Your first posts were disrespectful to the time and effort I put in to take the pictures and describe my experience. I've ruffled some feathers on this board too, so I'm trying to make up for it by contributing something meaningful.
Respectfully, I don't believe my post was disrespectful to your original post. I just offered an alternative for you to try. I don't see how that is being disrespectful.

You posted a lot of information and pics of a new product. That's great. I found it very beneficial to read as well. Just becuase I offered an alternative doesn't diminsh all your work and judgement in any way. Like I've said, I only offered an opinion and an alternative. I don't think doing so was any reason for you to accuse me of being a plant and shilling for Yes putters....
post #16 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Woah, this is crazy that a new person accidentally speaking mare harshly then he meant to started this long argument. I think that we all know that picking a putter is a very personal thing, and that just because one person likes a putter it doesn't mean everybody will. The reason that everybody got upset was that in his post it sounded like he was saying that everyone should use rife instead of yes! since rife is better. I'm sure he didn't mean that, and was just trying to add to the conversation. So now let's steer this thread back in the direction that it is supposed to be going.

I bought a Tiffany on ebay the other day and am so excited to get it. This review made me want it to come even faster. I demoed everything in the store and liked Tiffany the best, and can't wait to see how she does on an actual course. I'll post my review on here when I use her a couple rounds.
post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

Originally Posted by rogerhuang View Post
Respectfully, I don't believe my post was disrespectful to your original post. I just offered an alternative for you to try. I don't see how that is being disrespectful.

You posted a lot of information and pics of a new product. That's great. I found it very beneficial to read as well. Just becuase I offered an alternative doesn't diminsh all your work and judgement in any way. Like I've said, I only offered an opinion and an alternative. I don't think doing so was any reason for you to accuse me of being a plant and shilling for Yes putters....
Respectfully, I disagree. A person came into my thread and posted, in essence, "You should have bought a Rife putter. Yes putters will not roll the ball as nice. There is a reason Champion tour winners use Rife."

This person made these statements in two seperate posts, the second of which seemed even more argumentative than the first. These two posts were this member's FIRST and ONLY posts on this board. Now I'm not saying I'm a long-standing and outstanding member of this board, but the attitude with which these posts was delivered was less than classy IMO, and they were your only posts.

Like I said, I wasn't calling you out as being a troll. Merely pointing out that that is the sort of thing that trolls do. Actually, 'troll' means 'trolling for an argument', which you've successfully hooked.

Now aren't we having fun?

Mods, feel free to lock this thread as you feel appropriate. I just wanted to post a nice helpful review for anyone who may be interested - I know I absolutely love reading the gear reviews that the owners of this forum routinely post on the main page. I am sure many members do as well. I thought it'd be nice to give the other members some more 'unofficial' reviews to read.

This sort of thing is a big turn-off. Next time I won't even bother.
post #18 of 23

Re: YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)

there are many threads on the forum to discuss putters and argue which one is better. Why discuss it on this one?

This is simply a review about the Yes! TIFFANY. There should be simple posts with thank you's and comments specifically and only on that putter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › YES! Tiffany C-groove putter review (LONG! with pics)