or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Seeking guidance with my swing!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Seeking guidance with my swing!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

I'm a newbie golfer. Just started practicing just about 2 months ago. I've been hitting the irons for the most part, going to an indoor driving range and taking lessons--2 so far.

 

The thing I realized today when I went to the outdoor driving range was that the ball trajectory seemed way to high. 

Upon further research, it looked like I was gripping the iron too hard and/or I didn't have the proper weight shift. Now, I'm having trouble doing both and still have the ball fly straight. Either, I have to grip the iron quite hard, or not grip it as much and shift my weight onto my front leg.

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that after the backswing, the weight of my body should be shifted to the front leg, and have the hip turned, WHILE not having the arms flying forward to prevent slicing. This is nearly impossible for me to do. I think once I will be able to do it, the ball could fly better. Could you be so kind to getting this trick?

 

I'm in my mid 20's, and I was only able to hit 120-130 yards with a 7 iron today.

 

Thanks much in advance.

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnims View Post

Upon further research, it looked like I was gripping the iron too hard and/or I didn't have the proper weight shift. Now, I'm having trouble doing both and still have the ball fly straight. Either, I have to grip the iron quite hard, or not grip it as much and shift my weight onto my front leg.

 

How did you come to the conclusion that you "are gripping the iron too hard and/or don't have the proper weight shift"?

post #3 of 7
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordan View Post

 

How did you come to the conclusion that you "are gripping the iron too hard and/or don't have the proper weight shift"?

When I Google/Youtube for high ball trajectory, a lot of them talked about the strength of gripping. And after I've started playing golf, my right hand is always a little numb/stiff, which led me to believe my grip is too hard. 

And weight shift is just my thought; it just felt like I'm uppercutting the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Suggest you start here:

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

O wow, thank you so much!

post #5 of 7
If you hit your 7 iron 120-130 yards, I would look to see if I'm casting/flipping, which would cause a high ball flight as well. You said you are new to golf and that is a very common swing flaw for most new people. My 2 cents.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post

If you hit your 7 iron 120-130 yards, I would look to see if I'm casting/flipping, which would cause a high ball flight as well. You said you are new to golf and that is a very common swing flaw for most new people. My 2 cents.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

I was watching Youtube videos, and it indeed seems that by not being able to shift my weight properly, I am casting the iron.

 

Now I should try to eliminate that.

 

Thanks again!

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnims View Post

When I Google/Youtube for high ball trajectory, a lot of them talked about the strength of gripping. And after I've started playing golf, my right hand is always a little numb/stiff, which led me to believe my grip is too hard. 

And weight shift is just my thought; it just felt like I'm uppercutting the ball.

 

It can be pretty hard to diagnose problems in your own swing, especially when you're just starting out. There's a lot of information out there on the internet, some good, some bad and it can get pretty confusing trying to identify your own flaws and priorities.

 

The 5 Simple Keys system mentioned above is a great starting point for helping you to diagnose and prioritise issues in your swing. You'll need a video camera of some sort though, don't just go on what you feel like you're doing because it's probably quite different from what you're really doing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Seeking guidance with my swing!