IGNORED

Dealing with Dupuytren's Contracture

Bballref
Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had surgery on my right hand two days ago. Doctors told me I have a hereditary disease called Dupuytren's Contracture. A cord of fibrous tissue develops under the skin your palm eventually pulling downward one or all of your digits, even the thumb. Starts with a fleshy pad forming at base of finger(s) that resembles a callus and it's painless. Can happen with toes also and is more prevalent in men. In my case it's my little finger. Resulted in my finger bent down on my palm with very little chance of moving it consciously. The cord was very tight, hard and a ridge formed on my palm from first knuckle to almost base of hand, made it difficult to grip a club, let alone swing consistently well. Last 3 years I tried doing things to compensate but as condition got worse, surgery was inevitable.

I just recently read an article on PGA tour player Tim Herron and was surprised to learn he had developed the disease conditions also. Until he got it fixed he could no longer compete. Him, his sister & dad have videos out on the subject. He seems eager to join Champions Tour, and is getting into more PGA events as he readies himself.

Anyway I start therapy Monday and hope I can get in more golf this year with the thought of hitting the ball like I used to. Anybody else ever had to deal with this or something similar, and were you able to return to some sort of normalcy concerning your golf game.

5 hours ago, Bballref said:

Had surgery on my right hand two days ago. Doctors told me I have a hereditary disease called Dupuytren's Contracture. A cord of fibrous tissue develops under the skin your palm eventually pulling downward one or all of your digits, even the thumb. Starts with a fleshy pad forming at base of finger(s) that resembles a callus and it's painless. Can happen with toes also and is more prevalent in men. In my case it's my little finger. Resulted in my finger bent down on my palm with very little chance of moving it consciously. The cord was very tight, hard and a ridge formed on my palm from first knuckle to almost base of hand, made it difficult to grip a club, let alone swing consistently well. Last 3 years I tried doing things to compensate but as condition got worse, surgery was inevitable.

I just recently read an article on PGA tour player Tim Herron and was surprised to learn he had developed the disease conditions also. Until he got it fixed he could no longer compete. Him, his sister & dad have videos out on the subject. He seems eager to join Champions Tour, and is getting into more PGA events as he readies himself.

Anyway I start therapy Monday and hope I can get in more golf this year with the thought of hitting the ball like I used to. Anybody else ever had to deal with this or something similar, and were you able to return to some sort of normalcy concerning your golf game.

I have it in both hands on my ring finger tendon in the middle of each palm. I expect to eventually have surgery. Right now it is only annoying, but I’m afraid to press up from the ground with an opened hand. So is use my knuckles. I can’t press my palms flat. I have been putting heat on them and gently massaging.

I showed my orthopedic Dr it last year when he was treating me for a wrist injury. He said, “You’re Northern European!” 

How was the surgery and what is the timetable for therapy and recovery?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Bballref said:

Anybody else ever had to deal with this or something similar, and were you able to return to some sort of normalcy concerning your golf game.

The Viking's disease. Treatment can be injections, clipping the fibrous tissue (which I had done below pinky on right hand that I could no longer straighten) or more serious surgery involving longer recovery. Graphic photos on the Web. Yech! My ortho and I went with the easier alternative. There is a possibility it will be return.  I never had any golf normalcy, but I still try to play golf. My problem is more about rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. Good luck to all with that "trigger finger". Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Thanks for responses.....They anaesthetized me & by the time I came to it had taken less than an hour. More time in pre-op & recovery, about 3 hrs in total. Haven't seen the incision yet, my hand still wrapped and in half cast. In 3 days it gets unwrapped at therapy and the cast discarded. Dressing will be changed then and I begin wearing a molded plastic splint pre-made for my hand but only at night when sleeping. Stitches out in 2 weeks, therapist once a week and a take home set of exercises to follow. So far so good, pain tolerable but annoying. My surgeon had suggested the snip but an orthopaedic surgeon acquaintance of mine said best get it all removed. So I'll see what happens in few days and keep you updated. 

• iacas changed the title to Dealing with Dupuytren's Contracture
9 hours ago, Bballref said:

Thanks for responses.....They anaesthetized me & by the time I came to it had taken less than an hour. More time in pre-op & recovery, about 3 hrs in total. Haven't seen the incision yet, my hand still wrapped and in half cast. In 3 days it gets unwrapped at therapy and the cast discarded. Dressing will be changed then and I begin wearing a molded plastic splint pre-made for my hand but only at night when sleeping. Stitches out in 2 weeks, therapist once a week and a take home set of exercises to follow. So far so good, pain tolerable but annoying. My surgeon had suggested the snip but an orthopaedic surgeon acquaintance of mine said best get it all removed. So I'll see what happens in few days and keep you updated. 

Thanks.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Had half cast, binding and dressing removed this morning. Felt good to move my fingers and to see my pinkie straight for the first time in about 3 years.  Stitches run from mid knuckle to base of hand, about 3-4 “. Very neat looking incision. Therapist cleaned up my hand and rewrapped it but only in gauze. Only a little dried blood and couple of tiny bruises were evident. Fingers remained free to move after rewrap and she set me up with some home exercises until next week Thursday. See surgeon in 8 days and most likely stitches come out. Meanwhile I wear the premade splint at night only. All in all things appear excellent and pain is quite tolerable, very modest.

Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!