IGNORED

Clubs a little bit upright for a beginner?

Note: This thread is 1738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there!

I have a ping i3 o-size iron set that originally was maroon (5 upright, wow!).

I am fitted for a green dot in ping size chart, but when I place the iron, it doesn't feel THAT upright. Maybe the original loft was bent flatter. Moreover, they are 1 inch longer, so I choke down and the angle seems to flatten a little bit.

The thing is I am learning and this set is what I could get for the moment. Got them very cheap and managed to hit some good straight shots with them!

Should I worry too much about not having the pings perfectly fitted? 

My view is that I shall learn to hit the ball consistently first and then upgrade to a more fitted iron set.

4 hours ago, Rodoalo said:

Hi there!

I have a ping i3 o-size iron set that originally was maroon (5 upright, wow!).

I am fitted for a green dot in ping size chart, but when I place the iron, it doesn't feel THAT upright. Maybe the original loft was bent flatter. Moreover, they are 1 inch longer, so I choke down and the angle seems to flatten a little bit.

The thing is I am learning and this set is what I could get for the moment. Got them very cheap and managed to hit some good straight shots with them!

Should I worry too much about not having the pings perfectly fitted? 

My view is that I shall learn to hit the ball consistently first and then upgrade to a more fitted iron set.

Hello there! Was your ‘green dot’ fitting just a static read? If so, it’s really just guesstimate as to what will fit you best. Ping i3-O can be bent to 2 color codes I believe. But for now I would focus more on developing good mechanics and then dive into a fitting. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Hello there! Was your ‘green dot’ fitting just a static read? If so, it’s really just guesstimate as to what will fit you best. Ping i3-O can be bent to 2 color codes I believe. But for now I would focus more on developing good mechanics and then dive into a fitting. Cheers!

Hello! Thanks for always answering my beginner queries lol!

Yes, green dot was the static fitting done by myself with the chart. I guess in reality this may vary!

EDIT: Plus, a pro I visited the other day to change my grips told me I didn't need to bend the irons because of the lie angle, that the lie angle was ok. He also told me those were sort of crappy, but that's a different story lol

Edited by Rodoalo

I don't think Ping made anything that would be classified as crappy.  They are older clubs but there's nothing wrong with them.  You probably got a good deal and that's what u were looking for.

Just a guess but does your pro sell clubs?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

I don't think Ping made anything that would be classified as crappy.  They are older clubs but there's nothing wrong with them.  You probably got a good deal and that's what u were looking for.

Just a guess but does your pro sell clubs?

Yes, a lot! Lol

You probably got them extremely cheap b/c first, there aren't many people looking for clubs that old and second, with those specs you only have 1/100 of 1% of golfers who would fit into that club. Probably less than that. All that being said, it's pretty simple to figure out if the lie angle is an issue for you with a ball line check.

If you have not done it, get a dry erase marker or sharpie works okay. Draw a straight line on the ball about an inch long. Position the ball with the line on the back of the ball, perpendicular to the ground. Make sure you are on a flat lie (very important!) Hit the ball and see where the line mark on the club face points. If it's up and down on the face, the lie angle is good, if it's at an angle, you might need an adjustment. Ideally you should go through the set and check them all but at the very least I would check the short irons.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!