IGNORED

Need a new driver

Note: This thread is 5922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good evening,
I have a problem that hopefully some of you can school me on. I recently broke my driver, now I currently play with a cheap set of clubs I got when I was younger. I am playing a lot more then I used to and am looking to upgrade my clubs a bit, obviously starting with my driver. I am a moderate player, that has a slight slice with the driver. I was looking at one of these drivers:

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/callaw...cc-driver.html
http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/14clvhibormrh.html

I really don't know that much about drivers and how good they are, I am looking at these two solely on brand name and they are in the right price range. Any thoughts, or maybe ideas on a different brand. Thanks for the advice,
Ski

In the bag:
DRIVER:R7 DRAW 10.5 DEG
IRONS: 3100 i/h
PUTTER: OLD SCHOOL GOLDEN BEAR
BALL:JUICE "GINORMOUS"

I dont know what your top of the price range is for you but, I would recommend a driver with either removable weights like the r7 or r5's depending on price.
Or many drivers now come with a draw option on them to counteract the effects of slicing because it is such a common problem.

I recommend TGW.com or golfsmith.com

Both have new and used clubs, and come with reviews by players. Also, Golfsmith has a 30 day playing period on there clubs so if you dont like it you can send it back for credit I believe, not sure about that though with pre-owned clubs.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

I had the same problem you had at this time last year...I had a slight slice and was looking to upgrade my clubs. I would definitely suggest a draw weighted driver. It will not eliminate your slice (in most cases), but will certainly help straighten it out. I would also recommend the TaylorMade R5 Dual Driver and you can get it in type D (which is draw weighted). I bought one new the beginning of last year and absolutely loved it. I purchased mine from Rockbottomgolf.com last year for $120 brand new, so if you look around I'm sure you can find one in the same price range as the other two drivers you are looking at. I have since upgraded to a TaylorMade Burner since they recently came out with a Draw model in it. Haven't hit it yet, but can't wait to try it out...You could also look into the drivers with moveable weights as you can change the configurations to help out with trajectory as well as spin (draw/fade).
In the bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

I dont know what your top of the price range is for you but, I would recommend a driver with either removable weights like the r7 or r5's depending on price.

I didn't want to spend more then $100. But I guess that all depends on what exactly I find. Thanks for the reply,

Ski

In the bag:

I have a r7 425 now, trade-in on it is only 47 dollars. I am sure you can find something to your liking.

Good Luck, picking clubs is always fun.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

I have a r7 425 now, trade-in on it is only 47 dollars. I am sure you can find something to your liking.

Trade-in on a R5 dual is $30 the last I checked...so you can definitely find something that will serve you well for under/around $100...just won't be as advertised or "cutting edge" (not that a ton has changed over the past couple of years).

In the bag:

Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

I checked out a couple of sites, and found an r7 draw weighted driver for close to my price range and am thinking about trying it. My only question is they list a lot of different degrees for the driver. What would be the best one? What is the difference? They list a 9, 13.5, and a 10.5 senior. Thanks again,
Ski

In the bag:

I checked out a couple of sites, and found an r7 draw weighted driver for close to my price range and am thinking about trying it. My only question is they list a lot of different degrees for the driver. What would be the best one? What is the difference? They list a 9, 13.5, and a 10.5 senior. Thanks again,

Well a lot of that depends on your swing speed and shaft flex. I usually buy drivers in 10.5...but it is more or less up to you. The three most common flexes are senior, regular, firm/stiff, and x-stiff or x-flex. Regular is more or less for the average golfer, firm/stiff for the above average speed, x-flex for those with a very quick swing, and senior for those with slow swing speeds. Senior is the "whippiest" and Extra stiff has very little flex.

In the bag:

if you have a tight bugget dont comprinise on quality by preowned here is one of my favorite preowned websites

I would definitely check out the pre-owned. In fact I just purchased a pre-owned burner 3 wood from globalgolf last week. They are a great seller of used clubs, and their clubs are always underrated as far as condition goes.
In the bag:

Describe your ball flight and swing speed with your old driver. That will help us in help you. I've always wanted to legitimately say that

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

i only play 3-4 times at most per year. i normally shoot in the mid-90's. my clubs are pretty old. my irons are Tommy Armour 845 FS Silverscot and my woods are a mismatch of hand me downs.. i've seen 5 woods bigger than my current driver. my father in law has a TM R7 and when i hit it right, i can probably hit it 250... with my driver i can barely hit 200.. since i don't play much and don't want to spend a lot of money $100-150, can anyone help me out too.. just thought i'd add on to this thread instead of adding another... don't mean to take over.. any feedback will be greatly appreciated..
thanks again.

i only play 3-4 times at most per year. i normally shoot in the mid-90's. my clubs are pretty old. my irons are Tommy Armour 845 FS Silverscot and my woods are a mismatch of hand me downs.. i've seen 5 woods bigger than my current driver. my father in law has a TM R7 and when i hit it right, i can probably hit it 250... with my driver i can barely hit 200.. since i don't play much and don't want to spend a lot of money $100-150, can anyone help me out too.. just thought i'd add on to this thread instead of adding another... don't mean to take over.. any feedback will be greatly appreciated..

are you looking for a driver and/or woods?

In the bag:

sorry looking for new driver as well.. guess i should just follow the same advice?

any feedback on the Maxfli Powermax 460cc Driver. i saw it on sale for 79.99 but when i tried searching for it on the net, i couldn't find any reviews/info

I would highly recommend going to globalgolf.com and checking out their pre-owned clubs...I've purchased from them several times and have been very satisfied. As far as drivers, I've played all the new TaylorMade drivers and for the money, I would go with an R5 dual. You can get them now for under $100 used/like new. The r7 isn't to much higher now either, so I would recommend those two because I have played them both and they are both great clubs.
In the bag:

Note: This thread is 5922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!