IGNORED

New Clubs

Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been having problems hitting my Ping G15 irons ever since I bought them. Last year I took them in and had a Pro fit them to me. He took 1” off all my clubs from the driver down through my Vokey wedges. I hit these clubs a lot on the practice course over the years, plus played many rounds with them.

Well, I have decided to go in right after Christmas and buy new clubs. I am thinking about the Titleist T300 irons, adding the 1” back to my 915 driver and 7 wood,  buying a 915 or 917 4 wood and adding 1” back to my SM6 Vokey’s.

Interested in opinions on my plan? FYI....I am a high handicap player +20.

I just played a round on an indoor simulator and my swing speed with my driver was 65 mph.

Edited by CharlieB

17 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

I have been having problems hitting my Ping G15 irons ever since I bought them. Last year I took them in and had a Pro fit them to me. He took 1” off all my clubs from the driver down through my Vokey wedges. I hit these clubs a lot on the practice course over the years, plus played many rounds with them.

Well, I have decided to go in right after Christmas and buy new clubs. I am thinking about the Titleist T300 irons, adding the 1” back to my 915 driver and 7 wood,  buying a 915 or 917 4 wood and adding 1” back to my SM6 Vokey’s.

Interested in opinions on my plan? FYI....I am a high handicap player +20.

I just played a round on an indoor simulator and my swing speed with my driver was 65 mph.

Go try clubs on a launch monitor and if you decide to buy some, then go for it.  At your speed, you probably want to find some clubs to help you get the ball airborne and have good gaps between your clubs.  Don't be afraid to get high lofted fairway woods and hybrids.  I know some older folks that have woods all the way down to a 13 wood.  Last thing you want to do is have clubs that you cannot hit or that go the same distance.  Waste of clubs.  Therefore, be sure to get fitted for them and do a good gap test.  Further, don't be afraid to brand jump--just play what you like and what works for you.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did the pro who fitted you last year explain why he took 1” off your clubs? I’d get fitted again before adding back that inch to your new purchase. 

My irons are 1” short, 3 degrees flat and my driver is 1/2” short from my fitting 2 years ago. I just had another fitting a few weeks ago and I kept missing the sweet spots when I add that 1”(or 1/2”) back. So it may not seem to be much in length but it made a huge difference in contact for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was shanking my irons, plus he told me the yellow dot ping was wrong for me.   
He told me I should have a blue dot. By shortening my 7 iron by 1” it brought me very close to the center of the face. He also told me to stand a little further from the ball. They seem to be so short I’m having a hard time getting used to them, especially my wedges.

24 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

I was shanking my irons, plus he told me the yellow dot ping was wrong for me.   
He told me I should have a blue dot. By shortening my 7 iron by 1” it brought me very close to the center of the face. He also told me to stand a little further from the ball. They seem to be so short I’m having a hard time getting used to them, especially my wedges.

Charlie:

If you are hitting hosel rockets, I think lessons would be better served vs. new irons.

New irons aren't going to miraculously fix your ball striking as a 20+ cap.

The G15 irons are pretty forgiving clubs....though if you don't like...you don't like them...so go spend some money on some shiny new stuff.😂

I like shiny new stuff.😀

I was a 14 HC, but now that I’m older I just don’t hit the ball far enough. I feel real uncomfortable with the shorter clubs. I’ve had these a long time and never played well with them. I did get rid of the HR’s.

I’m going to hit my G15’s tomorrow on the monitor. I have to figure out what to do. I did have my swing looked at and was told it looks good.

I was reading today that your lie angle goes 2* flatter for every inch you cut off your shaft. That would take my clubs from 1.5* upright to .25* flat.

Does that mean that even my fairway woods, hybrids, and Vokey wedges are now wrong for my swing?

This year my goal was to get back to playing bogey golf. I worked very hard on my short game and I came very close to reaching my goal. I want to add my iron game to that goal next season, so that is what is driving this.

Feedback please!

• 2 weeks later...

I use to play G15s years ago, I liked them but have since gone on to the G25s, then to Cobras, now I play Cleveland irons, (I was a club hound for a while until I retired).

I too am a high HCer. Yes I've taken lessons, four times to be exact, but I have had three back surgeries and I'm 68 years old so I needed the most forgiving irons I could find. I like hybrids and could always hit them well so I found the Cleveland Launcher HB irons. They are all based on a hybrid design and they work for me, I bought the 4 through the GW.

Of course if you are hitting off the hosel new clubs wont help as said above.

Taking 1" off your clubs sounds weird to me but what do I know.  Anyway, with everything on your mind I would go to a good Pro Shop and find a good fitter, use a launch monitor to test brands and gaps. Mix brands if it suits you, I use a Cobra driver and 3W / 5W, and Fourteen wedges.

I know the Clevelands I use are not for everyone but they work for me so I don't care.

As a former club hound who was always searching for the next best thing, have fun with your search and take your time,

Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!