IGNORED

DIY Swing Weight Question

Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi - I'm shafting some heads and need some advice on adding weight to the grip end of shaft to bring swing weight down. Hoping someone with experience has a good method to add weight to butt end of steel shaft. thanks, J

Don't do it, that's my advise. The idea is counterproductive for most golfers. You are adding to the static weight of the club to "trick" a swing weight scale into showing lower numbers. If you really want/need to lower SW, you need to reduce head weight, change shafts to lighter or counterbalanced, or shorten club. I know these options are more complicated but it is the better way.

• iacas changed the title to DIY Swing Weight Question
  • Administrator

I agree generally with "don't do it."

I was going to write up that I'm seeing people consistently swing the 310g counter-weighted SuperSpeed stick MUCH faster than the "medium" 298g SuperSpeed stick, but then I looked at the head weight and it's probably only as heavy (or lighter even?) than the "Super-Light" SuperSpeed stick, so… yeah.

I will only add that static weight isn't also the only thing that matters. The further the weight is toward the head, the slower the swing speed will be, and the higher the swing weight.

I'll also add this: a student of mine went for a driver fitting. His driver was 96-98 MPH at D2.5. The best fit driver they could find for him was D6.5 (because of the added weight of the universal shaft adapter), and he swung it 94-96 MPH.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks guys - that's good advice for sure but my swing weights range from C9 to D7 throughout the set and I thought that might be a bit too much difference. I'm not so dialed in that I want them all exactly the same but I thought it would be nice if they were closer. 

• Administrator

If your driver is the C9 and your wedges are the D7, that can still be okay.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, here's what I have - 

3 - C9

4 - D5

5 - D3

6 - D3

7 - D3

8 - D3

9 - D3

P - D2

A - C8

S - D7

Do you think these weights are OK or do you think I should maybe change the 3, attack and sand wedge? 

36 minutes ago, Jayclay said:

Thanks, here's what I have - 

3 - C9

4 - D5

5 - D3

6 - D3

7 - D3

8 - D3

9 - D3

P - D2

A - C8

S - D7

Do you think these weights are OK or do you think I should maybe change the 3, attack and sand wedge? 

Only you can answer that question. If you hit certain clubs poorly, then you may need to adjust swing weight if it's one of the outliers. The only one that really stands out to me is the AW. I might add some lead tape to that one and get it up a little. The rest I am less concerned with assuming you hit them okay, comparatively.

Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!