IGNORED

Full Swing Yipper Part 2: Signs Of Progress?

Note: This thread is 1519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone

firstly, thank you for contributing to my original thread which is this one:

For the last 5 or so years, ive really been battling full swing yips, most specifically at takeaway where ive been struggling to take the club away, freezing, changing my posture, ultimately feeling very uncomfortable and losing speed, and then hitting poor shots.

I had a few days off playing and id just sat watching my dad playing on the range. Hes a more than adequate golfer, hes 70 but a nice 14 handicap and still fit from playing other sports in his youth.

We had a chat and one thing that became apparent is, my golf game started going down hill when i started taking more of an interest in equipment and "numbers". I would get interested in things like swing speeds, ball speeds, maximising ball speed, playing clubs with lighter shafts and lighter swing weights.

When i was playing nicely a few years ago, i had a set of AP2s, and in them some x100 shafts. Im at best an "average" hitter, and perhaps shouldnt be technically using those clubs and shafts. But they feel really nice.

Since then, ive tried shafts from all the different manufacturers and never really liked them. ive played around with lie angles too, mostly going more upright in a bit to tame an out of control cut shot.

Anyway i had a range session tonight, and i dug out my old AP2s. The thing that struck me about them was, compared to the ping I's with Nippon 105s that i broke, how HEAVY my clubs felt. Like at first, almost unusable they were so heavy.

But, as i started to swing, my takeaway became a little more one piece. i wasnt just picking the club up with my hands and arms, i was actually turning my body into the backswing.

And then as i would transition, i could feel the club was flattening out a little more and coming into impact a little more shallow. From that position, it felt like rather than my arms disappearing around my body left, like my arms would extend out down the target line just a little more. The strike seemed to feel crisper, and the wipey cut started to go away.

Now, one thing i had been doing occasionally was hitting balls off the toe. Disaster. Lost a lot of distance and launch if i did. But i started to gain some confidence shot by shot and i noticed, my tempo felt nice and smooth, and almost slow through the ball.

I think the heavier irons are starting to make my takeaway and transition much more "familiar" to what it was 5 or so years ago, i feel like my tempo is much more even and smooth, and im coming a little more from the inside.

Now, i freely admiit i probably shouldnt use DG x100 shafts. But ive tried all the others, and i cant get on board with the feel. Project X are really, really bad in any flex. I like the KBS Tours a little more.

But im thinking, embrace the FEEL of the equipment and dont worry about the numbers. Forget ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, swing speed. The clubs FEEL good. thats all that i need, at an amateur level, to play the game. And theyre slowly starting to make ME groove a better swing, ball by ball.

Im going to play 2 rounds this weekend, and rather than use my 50g Kuro Kage in a PXG 0811x Head, im going to take out my old Ping G driver, with a nice Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 gram shaft in it, and see if the same thing happens with my driving with the extra weight of the shaft.

Am i on to something, or was this all coincidence do you think?

Thanks Everyone

1 hour ago, DuckhookDenny said:

Hello everyone

firstly, thank you for contributing to my original thread which is this one:

For the last 5 or so years, ive really been battling full swing yips, most specifically at takeaway where ive been struggling to take the club away, freezing, changing my posture, ultimately feeling very uncomfortable and losing speed, and then hitting poor shots.

I had a few days off playing and id just sat watching my dad playing on the range. Hes a more than adequate golfer, hes 70 but a nice 14 handicap and still fit from playing other sports in his youth.

We had a chat and one thing that became apparent is, my golf game started going down hill when i started taking more of an interest in equipment and "numbers". I would get interested in things like swing speeds, ball speeds, maximising ball speed, playing clubs with lighter shafts and lighter swing weights.

When i was playing nicely a few years ago, i had a set of AP2s, and in them some x100 shafts. Im at best an "average" hitter, and perhaps shouldnt be technically using those clubs and shafts. But they feel really nice.

Since then, ive tried shafts from all the different manufacturers and never really liked them. ive played around with lie angles too, mostly going more upright in a bit to tame an out of control cut shot.

Anyway i had a range session tonight, and i dug out my old AP2s. The thing that struck me about them was, compared to the ping I's with Nippon 105s that i broke, how HEAVY my clubs felt. Like at first, almost unusable they were so heavy.

But, as i started to swing, my takeaway became a little more one piece. i wasnt just picking the club up with my hands and arms, i was actually turning my body into the backswing.

And then as i would transition, i could feel the club was flattening out a little more and coming into impact a little more shallow. From that position, it felt like rather than my arms disappearing around my body left, like my arms would extend out down the target line just a little more. The strike seemed to feel crisper, and the wipey cut started to go away.

Now, one thing i had been doing occasionally was hitting balls off the toe. Disaster. Lost a lot of distance and launch if i did. But i started to gain some confidence shot by shot and i noticed, my tempo felt nice and smooth, and almost slow through the ball.

I think the heavier irons are starting to make my takeaway and transition much more "familiar" to what it was 5 or so years ago, i feel like my tempo is much more even and smooth, and im coming a little more from the inside.

Now, i freely admiit i probably shouldnt use DG x100 shafts. But ive tried all the others, and i cant get on board with the feel. Project X are really, really bad in any flex. I like the KBS Tours a little more.

But im thinking, embrace the FEEL of the equipment and dont worry about the numbers. Forget ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, swing speed. The clubs FEEL good. thats all that i need, at an amateur level, to play the game. And theyre slowly starting to make ME groove a better swing, ball by ball.

Im going to play 2 rounds this weekend, and rather than use my 50g Kuro Kage in a PXG 0811x Head, im going to take out my old Ping G driver, with a nice Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 gram shaft in it, and see if the same thing happens with my driving with the extra weight of the shaft.

Am i on to something, or was this all coincidence do you think?

Thanks Everyone

A lot of stuff going on up there. And it’s a lot to be taking on alone.

1. Start a swing thread and find your piece to work on. One thing at a time.

2. Stop looking for golden nuggets. There just aren’t any in golf.

3. Get an instructor to help you. If not possible, see # 1.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!