IGNORED

Changing over to Forged

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone have any experience or good advice on switching over from Cast iron (former r7 Draw irons with graphite shafts) to Forged irons (TM RAC MB)? I keep on reading conflicting where one report says its more difficult and another says it's not. Im switching over because I want more control. I have a fast swing speed and consistency isnt an issue, but I dont have the control with cast iron clubs. I used them for the fourth time on Saturday at an indoor range and really started to feel comfortable with them (included the dreaded 3-iron). My swing is changing with the forged clubs but im looking to take it to the next level. If anyone has some wisdom, please let me know...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

I used to have some cavity back irons and switched to the forged and i hit them better, i love forged and will never get another cavity back iron agian
In my Hoofer Extreme

DriverBurner Stock Shaft 9.5

1 Iron Hybrid Idea Pro3 Iron HybridIdea ProIronsX-Forged 4-PWWedgesSpin Milled Vokey PutterStudio Select Newport 2BallPro V1

Nothing beats hitting one pure with a forged club...of course it you hit it bad you will feel that as well.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Yes thats true
In my Hoofer Extreme

DriverBurner Stock Shaft 9.5

1 Iron Hybrid Idea Pro3 Iron HybridIdea ProIronsX-Forged 4-PWWedgesSpin Milled Vokey PutterStudio Select Newport 2BallPro V1

have used both and currently using TM R7 TP irons; your inconsistencies are more likely from the graphite shafts than the difference b/w cast and forged; forged irons feel much better esp the mizuno; but they also seem easier to damage; I thought I would only use forged after playing mizuno mp32 and titleist 735cm but honestly I think the R7 TPs are so much easier to use when your game is a little "off"; no difference in ability to work the ball;

In My Bag

Taylormade Burner 09 TP 9.5 Fujikura REAX 65 S
Cleveland Launcher 2009 15 UST V2 75 S
Cleveland Launcher Steel 19 UST V2 75 STitleist 585 H 21 Aldila VS Proto STaylormade R7 TP 4-PW DG S300 StiffTaylormade TP Satin 54 and 58Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2Taylormade TP...

The only thing I would say about forged irons is that if you don't play ALOT, it's hard to maintain consistency especially under the pressure of tourney play. That being said, there is nothing like puring a shiny new blade and feeling the "hot knife thru butter sensation roll throughout your body".
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I played with the R7 Draw and switched to the MP32s. The difference is night and day. The R7s, compared to the 32s, look like the blade of a hockey stick.

Personally, I'm not a believer in "game improvement." If your swing stinks, it does not matter what club you use. I don't regret switching one bit. My focused has improved and my swing is better. This is a result of using clubs where the margin of error is smaller. Best move I've ever made.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I'm switching to Mizuno MP-57s soon. I'm pretty sure those are forged. After a month with 'em, I'll post some thoughts if I remember to do so

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I switched to the 735 cms and feel that it was a great move for me. The clubs are a lot more forgiving than I thought they would be and are very consistent and predictable. I can work the ball better than before and have better control on trajectory. The trajectory piece is a new element in my game that is paying off in the wind and with distance control.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I took a set of 735 chromes out two days ago and loved the feel but I seemed to be about one club short of my normal irons. When you first bought these, did you see a little dropoff from your normal irons in distance and did it get back to normal once you got used to them? It's hard to tell on my course because there is so much hardpan right now.
In my Vantage bag:
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Yeah, the first couple of time I hit with them i only hit a couple that went as far as my old clubs (granted, it was 40 degree outside). I went to an inside dome last week with a temperature of 72 degree and I could tell there was a huge difference in distance and felt like if we were outside, these clubs would be the same or even a bit father with a pure hit. I practice my swing in front a mirror at home so it's helped. Give them some time. Im just starting to get use to them, so we'll see. You will too. Everyones been giving me that advice as well. Just work through the growing pains because your swing, like mine, will have to become more pure.

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

Many here have indicated that forged irons are less forgiving than cast clubs. My thoughts are that there is an apple and orange comparison happening. What really matters is the design of the club.

If you have a cavity back iron...it will be more forgiving than a straight blade. It isn't because it is or not being forged.

For instance....Ben Hogan creates the Apex (non-cavity back solid blades) and Edge (cavity back). The Edge is designed to be forgiving and can be compared to other cavity backed iron.

Here is another experience I have. I play forged Callaway wedges. I can pick up another non-forged wedge that doesn't have a cavity back. If I compare the forged/non-f....the Callaway wedge will have a different 'response and feel'...not that it is harder to hit.

Maybe the real question is.... Cavity backed or No Cavity irons.

Maybe the real question is.... Cavity backed or No Cavity irons.

Seeing as how a great many pros use cavity backs, I'd say have some cavity backs. However, integrated sets are more and more common these days. CH3, for example, has blades for his 8 iron on down (I think - I'll look it up at home if you care for specifics) but cavity backs above that. Take forgiveness when you'd need it and workability when you can make the most use of it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took a set of 735 chromes out two days ago and loved the feel but I seemed to be about one club short of my normal irons. When you first bought these, did you see a little dropoff from your normal irons in distance and did it get back to normal once you got used to them? It's hard to tell on my course because there is so much hardpan right now.

When I switched to the 735 from my 845s I did see a lowering of trajectory but not of distance. I even had my 735s weakened to start at a 48* wedge and worked down (so both sets have identical lofts). I hit my 8 iron within 2 yards of of old one but on the plus side.

Thanks for the info for those who have the 735's. I think I will take the demo out again in a couple of months when I am playing more to get a more accurate comparison. Too hard to tell right now coming out of winter and only playing about once per week. Hopefully the new Titleist blades will drive the price down on the 735's before summer starts. They are definitely one of prettier sets I have seen in a while for sure.
In my Vantage bag:

Thanks for the info for those who have the 735's. I think I will take the demo out again in a couple of months when I am playing more to get a more accurate comparison. Too hard to tell right now coming out of winter and only playing about once per week. Hopefully the new Titleist blades will drive the price down on the 735's before summer starts. They are definitely one of prettier sets I have seen in a while for sure.

That would be a good move. I have been playing all winter in ideal conditions and usually in weather of 70 degrees or more and I am hitting them pure and as long as any other club. I think that your current set is comparable with the loft and not bumped. I think your pw is 48 and the 735 is 47.

First time poster, and the topic is relevant for me.

Been playing about four years, usually shoot mid to occasionally low 90s.

Bought Callaway X-20 Tours last year and was well pleased. Just for grins, and because I find it hard to resist experimentation with clubs, I just bought 8iron through pitching wedge in Callaway X Forged. Same shaft and lie angle as my X-20s.

Been experimenting with the X Forged for about ten days, and played my first round with them today. I agree with a previous post who referenced a better focus with the forged. With no offset, they just seem to line up so much cleaner for me. I seemed to have less left to right differential with the forged than the cavity backs. Biggest difference I noted today was if I didn't catch it clean I would lose more distance than I would with the X-20s.

I've now ordered a seven iron, and will continue to experiment. As of now, I'm seriously contemplating switching to the forged.

I also agree with another poster who said it seemed the switch had helped his swing. It may all be in my mind, but it is fun nonetheless.

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!