IGNORED

Used M2s Plus More or Dept Store Set?

Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

First post.  Im sure you see questions like this all the time and I have a good idea of what the responses will be, but here goes.

Im 45, havent played in over 20.  Was a high teen handicapper.  Still have my old clubs which are Dunlop Tour Select.

Wanted to get back at it "casually".  Weekends, church outings, etc.  At most, 25-30 times a year.  Just being honest, thats all Ill have time to do.

I very much doubt ill get lessons or fitted.

My budget is around 500.

I admit Im somewhat of a gear junkie and Id like to see how the GI irons, hybrids, and new tech overall could improve my game, if at all.

Ive been searching online auction sites and going to Dicks/Golf Galaxy to check it all out.  On some levels, Im impressed with the advancements.  On others, not so much.  

Anyways, trying to find good quality GI irons locally has proven harder than expected.  Woods and hybrids even tougher.

But I did find a complete set which is slightly higher than my budget.  It includes TM 2017 M2 5-SW (7 clubs), 2016 M2 4Hybrid, R15 driver,  Titleist 917 f2 3 wood, SC red X putter, a couple unknown wedges (52 and 58 deg) and TM lightweight bag.  Condition 7/10.  Can get for 550.

I know this is quality stuff that is less than 5 yrs old.  But its also over my budget and might be "overkill" for my level or needs.

Part of me is tempted to just go get the Strata or TF complete sets for 200 and be done with it.  But I honestly dont think they would be much of an upgrade to what I already have.  Except a nicer bag and a hybrids.

Please steer me in the right direction guys.  Im on information overload...haha.

Thanks!

• iacas changed the title to Used M2s Plus More or Dept Store Set?
6 hours ago, Kllrbee said:

Hey guys,

First post.  Im sure you see questions like this all the time and I have a good idea of what the responses will be, but here goes.

Im 45, havent played in over 20.  Was a high teen handicapper.  Still have my old clubs which are Dunlop Tour Select.

Wanted to get back at it "casually".  Weekends, church outings, etc.  At most, 25-30 times a year.  Just being honest, thats all Ill have time to do.

I very much doubt ill get lessons or fitted.

My budget is around 500.

I admit Im somewhat of a gear junkie and Id like to see how the GI irons, hybrids, and new tech overall could improve my game, if at all.

Ive been searching online auction sites and going to Dicks/Golf Galaxy to check it all out.  On some levels, Im impressed with the advancements.  On others, not so much.  

Anyways, trying to find good quality GI irons locally has proven harder than expected.  Woods and hybrids even tougher.

But I did find a complete set which is slightly higher than my budget.  It includes TM 2017 M2 5-SW (7 clubs), 2016 M2 4Hybrid, R15 driver,  Titleist 917 f2 3 wood, SC red X putter, a couple unknown wedges (52 and 58 deg) and TM lightweight bag.  Condition 7/10.  Can get for 550.

I know this is quality stuff that is less than 5 yrs old.  But its also over my budget and might be "overkill" for my level or needs.

Part of me is tempted to just go get the Strata or TF complete sets for 200 and be done with it.  But I honestly dont think they would be much of an upgrade to what I already have.  Except a nicer bag and a hybrids.

Please steer me in the right direction guys.  Im on information overload...haha.

Thanks!

I would go with the used better set. They have resale value and are built better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Kllrbee said:

This is the option that I like. Keep these, play em for a bit, and if you want to keep playing, make a change.

This is the option that I like the least. You won't have more fun with these, and the 200 dollars would be wasted (no resale value as others have said)

This option is good, but since it's out of budget, I'd hold off. These clubs aren't going to get more expensive. You could buy it a year down the road for the same amount. If you aren't sure that you are going to stick with the game, this option is obviously not good. If you know that you are going to stick with it, this option isn't bad, because even if they don't work (or don't fit) you will be able to get a decent amount of the money back.

My 2c: No reason to buy something newer if you already have a full bag and aren't sure that you will play long term. 550 bag is good if you know you are going to keep playing, but playing with the old clubs won't be noticeably worse, and if you groove your swing in (or start getting lessons), a fitting may be in order in a year anyhow.

Hope this helps. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the replies.  Ive decided against dept store box set and the $550 bag.  

Im going to keep what I have, but add a 22/23 hybrid and lose the 3 and 4 irons.  The rest is fine until I decide whether or not to stick with it.

Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!