IGNORED

Playing on Par 3 courses?

elementz
Note: This thread is 5913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering if this is good or bad for my golf game. Again, I have played less than 5 times but there is a course near my area that is all par 3 holes. It has 18 holes but the holes range from 90 yrds to 140yds. I think I would be comfortable playing a few rounds here and then hitting the big (normal) courses. Anyone play in par 3 golf courses? I think it would be great to work on your short game but it's obviously not going to help your long game. Or should I just head right out to a regular golf course?

par 3 courses are only bad when there is lightning

dead men sink no putts

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I was wondering if this is good or bad for my golf game. Again, I have played less than 5 times but there is a course near my area that is all par 3 holes. It has 18 holes but the holes range from 90 yrds to 140yds. I think I would be comfortable playing a few rounds here and then hitting the big (normal) courses. Anyone play in par 3 golf courses? I think it would be great to work on your short game but it's obviously not going to help your long game. Or should I just head right out to a regular golf course?

Par-3 courses are great. The fact of the matter is, you're going to spend most of your shots near the green on any course (except maybe that ten-thousand yard John Daly design). They're great at practicing taking aim at the pin and getting up and down when you don't make it. It's much easier, for me at least, to care about getting up and down when it goes on a scorecard than when I'm just as the short game area.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Par 3s will get you comfortable with the approach shots which are really the most important (unless you drive every time a mile off the course :) )

Also it might help your nevers a little bit since most people there wont be that great either. True you wont get any help with your driver or probably 6 Iron+ But everything else is there and that makes up the majority of the game.

Adams Golf Idea a2 OS Hybrids
(all but the 3iron, I broke it )

90-140 yds. - that wouldnt work out for me, the highest club I would take out would be a 9 or a soft 8.

I like to work on all fascits (spelling?) of my game. I guess it would be fun for a day or two but I couldnt see myself being a repeat customer to a par 3 course.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

90-140 yds. - that wouldnt work out for me, the highest club I would take out would be a 9 or a soft 8.

Facets. And if it's mostly wedges for you, you'd get some great practice on the birdie putts that your wedges set up.

If they had good greens and you hadn't enough time for 9 holes of a regulation course, it's probably more fun and better practice than the driving range. Incidentally, my plan this summer is to play an executive or par-3 course at least 2-3 times a week after work, since no good regulation courses are nearby to where I'll be working. We'll see how much, if at all, it helps my game.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

yeah bu tthis guy is brand new

Assuming this is in response to my second post, you're right: the second post isn't aimed at the original poster. My first response here was. I believe par-3 courses are good for players of all ability levels, as it provides a focus for practicing the shots that matter. Chipping after missing a green on a par-3 course, when you have one chance to pull it off to save par, is far better than what I see at the chipping green all too often: a bad chip followed by just raking another ball over and chipping that one.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Par-3's are great for everyone, new and experienced golfers alike. New golfers will feel less intimidated byt he courses, due to their shorter length (and often times less intimidating golf games of other golfers on the courses). Experienced golfers will enjoy the challenges and practice for their short games.

Another plus is that they are great for a quick 9 after work or if you have kids to take them to learn the game.

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

yeah, when i have to play at the public course, i warm up by playing the par three. and actually, these are really busy on weekends with older people and people 10 and under. so i pay my $2 and skip to open holes and wait till my tee time comes up.
great for short game, the longest club i hit is a soft 7

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Par 3's are as good as it gets for new golfers. Especially if it is a good par three with at least one 170+ hole and a hole over water. Also, it is irrational for anyone to get upset for you not being a great golfer at a par 3 which many new golfers are worried about. I have a few friends new to golf and I always take them to par 3's. It is by far the best way to get into golf and the only way I can stand playing with my plus 30 handicap friends.

i agree. being a sucky golfer myself, i see worse players out there, but it is FUN. golf is a game. if somebody complains that you suck, well they are dumb, cause you are playing a PAR 3 course. plus, if they are cheap, its a great way for high school teams (or better players) to practice their short game. you dont get real life shots on a range

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Note: This thread is 5913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!