IGNORED

Tracking for Glaring Weakness

darthweasel
Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really like the 65/20/15 practice ratio and am a strong believer in getting the ball as far down the hole as possible as quick as possible to get into 1-putt range. With that said, on one day my Driver will be completely wild, either slicing 80 yards right or a dead pull 50 yards left. Other days it is a deadly weapon launching the ball 250-270 hole after hole. Same with irons. One day they are advancing the ball with tight dispersion and consistent distances, another day suddenly they are short/long/left/right.

On any given day it is obvious as to where my lost strokes are coming from. If I lose 4 balls OB with the Driver, that is where I need to put in the work. That day. Generally a quick tip to the range fixes it and next time out I am  on or near every fairway but maybe I am shanking irons or gouging turf on wedges. Clearly, a session focusing on fixing my iron swing will have immediate results.

But those run the risk of being anecdotal and having recency bias as opposed to being what is really my weakness. My scores currently tend to be fairly consistently 85-90 with the occasional outlier 81 or 95. I need to definitely look at where I need to focus long term as opposed to just what a specific day points out as the problem. What I am looking for is how to track to see if over the course of a month I should be focusing on driver, long irons, mid irons, short irons, wedges, chipping...where should the 65% be spent to maximize long term gains?

I am looking for a way to track that lets me know where, long term, I am losing the strokes. I have all the shots to improve, I don't have the consistency. I want to improve but I don't want to spend time say...working on putting if I am stronger there than with a 7i or something like that.

How do you track?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

How do you track?

It sounds like you need some sort of app/tagging system that will keep track of your strokes gained statistics so you can identify your weaknesses over a larger sample size than one round.

I use MyRoundPro, a free app from Taylormade that works with my Samsung smartwatch, but there are plenty of other options including GameGolf, (limited support, not sure how much longer they will be around) Arccos, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Does MyRound work without a watch? something about my body chemistry smurfs them up...I finally gave up wearing a watch after trying to get my Citizen repaired something like 6 times and every time we sent it to factory it worked perfectly. I would wear it for an hour and the date would be messed up, time off by 9 hours...had same issue with fitbit so watches are pretty much out. I do use Golfpad and going back recreating the round is great but I am I think looking for something that would be easy to see strokes gained/lost type. Actually, come to think of it...their pro version may have that. Good call I may have to upgrade

18 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

Does MyRound work without a watch? 

Yup they have a phone app, you would just have to tag each shot in the app before you hit it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

upgraded the Golfpad last night. Putting -.01. Short game and Tess shots both -.044. Approach -.038. I am interpreting that as nothing glaring so 65% on long clubs, 20% wedges/chipping and 15% putting seems about right.

Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!