IGNORED

Putting practice strokes

Note: This thread is 5896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In this month's Golf Digest , Hank Haney suggests (p.56, April 2008) approaching the ball from behind after a pre-shot routine, to avoid the problem of just reaching forward from the practice swing. I made this change about a year and a half ago on the range (back before I took practice swings on the course) to fix just this problem and have always done this in my practice swings on the course.

The thought occurred to me this morning during putting practice: why not do this with putts?

I typically do my putting practice strokes parallel to the line I intend to hit the ball. And when I miss based on length, it's more often short than long. So, if I end up going for the speed from a foot back, maybe I'm more likely to hit it the right speed?

So, I've seen some players take practice strokes behind the ball - some not even in the same direction as the putt. What do you guys think about this as a routine? Do you think it's worth a try? Or would I mess myself up?

I'm not a great putter by any stretch of the imagination (yet). I do practice the 3-5-7 footers more than putts of any real length beyond those, although before a round I will set up some 20 footers and try to get them within a 17" half-circle behind the hole (and then putt them out, of course). I take about 30-35 putts per round: yet to be less than 30, but that is one of my 2008 goals.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First, let me say that I'm not a great putter either. Average about 30-35 putts/round, so something similar to yourself. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

I usually take practice swings from behind the ball, usually perpindicular to the line of the putt. I call them practice swings, rather than practice strokes because they are more for the feel of the size swing I want. My actual practice strokes are from beside the ball, parallel to the target line.

So to answer your question. I think its worth a try, as long as you can get a good routine going on the greens. But whatever is comfortable to you is most important.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I am an okay putter for someone at my handicap (30 putts or just over on average). I take practice strokes behind the ball, aiming perpendicular left of the hole. THis faces my body at the hole so that I can see the hole as I am taking strokes. It does also prevent you from just moving the putter instead of moving your feet.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

actually dave pelz suggested taking a practice stroke behind the ball to get better feel for distance.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

First, let me say that I'm not a great putter either. Average about 30-35 putts/round, so something similar to yourself. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

No one wants to admit to being a good putter.

I usually take practice swings from behind the ball, usually perpindicular to the line of the putt. I call them practice swings, rather than practice strokes because they are more for the feel of the size swing I want. My actual practice

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give this a try.

I am an okay putter for someone at my handicap (30 putts or just over on average). I take practice strokes behind the ball, aiming perpendicular left of the hole. THis faces my body at the hole so that I can see the hole as I am taking strokes. It does also prevent you from just moving the putter instead of moving your feet.

This is exactly the goal for my change, so I'm glad to know it works.

actually dave pelz suggested taking a practice stroke behind the ball to get better feel for distance.

On the line, farther from the hole?

It occurs to me now - I once saw Jon Mills (at the Empire Lakes tournament last year) take practice swings with his putter somewhere between the ball and the hole. I wondered what it was for, and now I think it was where he expected it to break. But I won't have a putt that important for a while now.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I may...I am an average putter for a 13 handicapper...last year my stats where around 32 putts per round but this year it has shot up to 34 and I had a couple of rounds where I had 37 putts and even had a 4 putt ...where I have been struggling is with lag putting (anything outside 30 feet)...so I got a putting lesson from my coach and what she did (Megan Younkman at http://www.myprogolfschools.com/home.html ) was give me the following drill and the next time I played I had 31 putts and only 3 putted once and it was not due to poor distance control:

Find an area on the putting green where you can put 50-60 footers...Put 2 balls next to each other (6-12 inches apart) and start at about 20 feet...then place two balls every five feet up to how far out you want to practice...Now address the first ball then step slightly back from the ball and while starring at the hole (do not look at the ground always look at the hole) take two practice strokes to feel the distance then re-address the ball and again while starring at the hole hit your putt…now address the second ball (at the same distance) and take your two practice strokes while starring at the hole…the difference here will be when you re-address the ball take your normal stroke while looking at the ball…you should find that your distance control will get better. I actually make more putts while looking at the hole and have put the practice strokes while looking at the hole into my pre-shot routine…try it and hope this helps...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

On the line, farther from the hole?

yes!

on your target line, not ball hole line.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Note: This thread is 5896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!