IGNORED

Question about breaking a club durring play.

SteelDriver
Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Talking to a guy here at work about Tiger Woods, he mentioned a 4 iron shot near a tree that shattered his shaft and we began to discuss.

My question: Do you get a new club (4 iron in this case), or are you stuck with what's left in your bag??

I know I should know this but I never seen it directly during a tourney, just during regular casual play.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

You get to replace a damaged club with a replacement club, so long as replacing it doesn't cause "undue delay". What is undue delay isn't specificed, but I think that the idea is that you can send someone to get a club from your trunk, or if you are back at the clubhouse at the turn, you can purchase a new one, but you can't call "time out" drive to Golf Galaxy or Edwin Watts and buy a replacement and come back and resume play.

The incident with Tiger Woods happened on a Sunday, and usually the Tour Vans and equipment is all packed up Sunday morning before the round starts, otherwise, I think Tiger probably would have sent someone to get a replacement 4 iron. Also, I don't think that you have to replace the club with an "equivalent" club -- if Tiger wanted to put a 9 wood into play instead of a different 4 iron, that would be ok (so long as the new club is conforming, of course).

Talking to a guy here at work about Tiger Woods, he mentioned a 4 iron shot near a tree that shattered his shaft and we began to discuss.

If it breaks during normal use - that is, it wasn't wrapped around a tree due to anger - you may replace it, as long as you don't cause a delay by doing so. I think you can replace it with any club you want. If a Nike rep had been around, Tiger could've asked him to go get him a replacement 4-iron. He might have been able to request a second driver, a new putter, or whatever.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

and remember he had a shot later where the 4 iron would have come in handy
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

and remember he had a shot later where the 4 iron would have come in handy

Yup, this is true. He had to hit a 5 Iron, which he stuck and made eagle.

I wished I had these dilemnas.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

From the rules folks:

4-3. Damaged Clubs: Repair and Replacement

a. Damage in Normal Course of Play

If, during a stipulated round, a player's club is damaged in the normal course of play, he may:

(i) use the club in its damaged state for the remainder of the stipulated round; or

(ii) without unduly delaying play, repair it or have it repaired; or

(iii) as an additional option available only if the club is unfit for play, replace the damaged club with any club. The replacement of a club must not unduly delay play and must not be made by borrowing any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 4-3a:
See Penalty Statements for Rule 4-4a or b and Rule 4-4c.

Note: A club is unfit for play if it is substantially damaged, e.g., the shaft is dented, significantly bent or broken into pieces; the clubhead becomes loose, detached or significantly deformed; or the grip becomes loose. A club is not unfit for play solely because the club's lie or loft has been altered, or the clubhead is scratched.

b. Damage Other Than in Normal Course of Play

If, during a stipulated round, a player's club is damaged other than in the normal course of play rendering it non-conforming or changing its playing characteristics, the club must not subsequently be used or replaced during the round.

c. Damage Prior to Round

A player may use a club damaged prior to a round, provided the club, in its damaged state, conforms with the Rules.

Damage to a club that occurred prior to a round may be repaired during the round, provided the playing characteristics are not changed and play is not unduly delayed.

As for Tiger, he doesn't bring a spare set of clubs so there was not a replacement available (page 166, Golf Digest - April 2008).

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So any club you want can fill that void huh? I did not know that....Thanks guys!

In my Bag:

Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

From the rules folks:

Thats where my buddy read it! it has Fred Couples on the cover. I didnt read the article he read, he just showed me the pics of that poor 4 iron.

Damage other than course play being a good slamming, i'd assume. Seems like a lot of the time requirements are basically open to interpritation.

In my Bag:

Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!