IGNORED

What's more important?

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm in need of two clubs to get my bag right where I want it, but do not want to spend the money on both quite yet. I still have about 3 weeks before the snow is finally gone but I want to get one of these out of the way. I need a 3 wood and a 56* wedge. I have a GW that came with my set but it doesn't give me the spin and control that I would like and I've always been more of a SW player anyways.

As for the 3 wood, I broke mine late last year and never got around to replacing it. I hit a driver pretty well and can usually stay in the fairway but it's always nice to have a 3 wood for a really tight fairway or must-make shot. I have a 5 that's consistent but that won't give me the kind of distance off the tee that I'm looking for.

So, that leaves 2 questions: Which club should I replace first? What should I replace it with?

Any feedback is appreciated.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

Well I can tell you what I did when I was in the same situation......You can buy a Mizuno MP-T series wedge on ebay..new for 45-50 bucks...they come in 56-10, and 56-14..

Adams insight bul 3 wood for around 75 bucks on ebay..new.....I play both and can say they are outstanding for the price

Both have recieved great reviews.....I tend to listen to the better players I play with...and make equipment decisions based on what I hear and what I feel my skill level is.

Well I can give my opinion......You can buy a Mizuno MP-t series wedge on ebay..new for 45-50 bucks...they come in 56-10, and 56-14..

That reminds me that I wouldn't mind buying a 3 wood used, but I would prefer the wedge brand new. You never know how much the grooves have been worn down on a used wedge so I really want to stay away from that route.

What are some of the "mid-major conference" brands that were talked about in the other thread that make good woods and wedges? I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of these companies so my knowledge is limited.

In My Bag:

3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

That reminds me that I wouldn't mind buying a 3 wood used, but I would prefer the wedge brand new. You never know how much the grooves have been worn down on a used wedge so I really want to stay away from that route.

I bought both of mine NEW......I feel the same way about wedge grooves.

IMO, whatever dollar total you were going to spend on both clubs I would use towards a good 56* (trade in your 54* to help lower the cost). You will end up using it a lot more than a 3W.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Id trade the gapper in for a sand wedge...I dont carry a gapper..but i feel it is an unneccesary club IMO.....if you want a good 3 wood--check the Callaway X out--the club is really hot off the face.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Check out Golfsmith.com because they have sick deals and cheap custom-made clubs. Hope you can find a clubmaker because you can save some $$$$$$.

www.globalgolf.com

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

WOW! I guess I just solved one of my problems. 3balls.com had an Ebay auction for a Cobra LD-F Speed 3 wood with a stiff Aldila NV shaft in Like-New condition and I picked it up for $33. What a deal! I guess there are perks to being a lefty.

In My Bag:

Lefty stuff is always super cheap on ebay, especially is you're willing to take a chance and buy from Joe Schmo. I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't go with another TM R7 like your driver and 5w. The different size, shape, crown, sound, and feel of the cobra might be distracting.

driver: G10 draw 9 degrees
hybrids DWS 16 and 20 degrees
irons: x-16 3-pw
wedges: 588 RTG 51, 56 & 60
putter: Heavy Putter B3-Mball: hx tour (I'll switch after I lose these)

Lefty stuff is always super cheap on ebay, especially is you're willing to take a chance and buy from Joe Schmo. I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't go with another TM R7 like your driver and 5w. The different size, shape, crown, sound, and feel of the cobra might be distracting.

I thought about this before I bought the Cobra and here's my explanation:

I don't think I'll be confused between an R7 driver and a Cobra Speed 3 wood. A wood and a driver are very different clubs that react in different ways so there's going to be a difference either way. The 5 wood has always been a fairway club for me as I never use my 3 wood off the deck. It's strictly a driving club. Which leads me to why I didn't buy the R7 3w. The face is extremely small. It doesn't have much height to it and I wouldn't like that in a club I mainly use to drive. The Cobra has more of a larger face to it, giving you a little more of a driver feel as opposed to a wood feel. The 5 wood rarely comes out as most of the courses around here are less than 6,800 yards and I usually lay up on Par 5s anyways. I just needed a club I could hit off the tee into a tight fairway or to keep out of trouble and the Cobra will provide that for me better than the R7. It will be a bit of an adjustment but every new club is an adjustment.

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!