IGNORED

How do you know when its time to upgrade

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive got a set of Cleveland TA-5 irons ive had them for about 4 years. This year is the year ive decided to take golf more serious and really clean up my game. How do i know when its time I should upgrade to better irons?

Unless you hit another set of irons that you really like... I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.
âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

I know a guy at my local club who has been using his set for 10 years... Still likes it and plays in the mid to high 70's. Except for an occassional lie angle adjustments, I think he will keep playing them till they are really worn out...
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I just dumped my TA-5's for the Adams Idea Pro Forged in my signature. Those TA's served me well for 9 years, and I only changed because I wanted something that was a little more of a players iron. The reason I wanted such was because I have learned to work the ball and do so at least a few times on each outing now. The TA's were great, but they definately favor a high straight shot. I also wanted the ability to control my trajectory a bit more. I would only upgrade if you truly feel you have outgrown the clubs ability wise (unless of course you just want new clubs). Otherwise, they should serve you well for at least a few more years.

One thing I've learned in the 10 rounds and driving range trips since I bought the new clubs is this... I used to consistently hit the ball just slightly out towards the toe of the club, and sometimes more than slightly. The TA's were so forgivig that I really didn't know (most of the time), the Adams are NOT as forgiving. They tell me that the shot was improperly struck by throwing me in the front bunker and through the feel. Since discovering this I think I have made steps towards becoming a better ball striker, so that is a good thing. I can also feel a slightly thin shot more than I could with the TA's. Also, they are more workable and I am able to move the ball better with these clubs. I have also played a few very windy days, and the new clubs are much easier to control trajectory with.

So I guess the bottom line is this... if your game is at a point where you want to start moving the ball, and you are willing to sacrafice forgiveness for playability, then a switch might do you well. But, if you aren't going to practice/play enough to take advantage of such, or can already move the ball fine with the TA's, or just don't feel the need to do so... then stick with the TA's. Just remember... if you do switch to a players cavity or a muscle back, you will need to keep your ball striking at a certain level or your shots will suffer.

Just a question out of curiosity... I looked at your signature and unless I'm mistaken it says you carry 13 clubs... why not 14? The TA-5 PW is 45* and your next wedge is 56*.... did you ever think of adding a gap wedge at 50*.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Just a question out of curiosity... I looked at your signature and unless I'm mistaken it says you carry 13 clubs... why not 14? The TA-5 PW is 45* and your next wedge is 56*.... did you ever think of adding a gap wedge at 50*.

I just realized that too and i looked through it like 5 times. I just realized i do have 14, ive got 22* wood that i play with. Its awesome for fairway shots. In short grass i can hit it much better than my hybrid.

Do you think i should dump it for a 50?

I just realized that too and i looked through it like 5 times. I just realized i do have 14, ive got 22* wood that i play with. Its awesome for fairway shots. In short grass i can hit it much better than my hybrid.

If you hit it about the same distance as you hit another club... you might want to at least think about dropping it for the additional wedge. You just have to ask yourself which is more advantagous to have in the bag... for me an 11* gap between my PW and next wedge would be problematic. I only carry two wedges, but as you can see the spacing is 6*... as my PW is 46* and I have a 52* then a 58*. I personally hit my 18* hybrid the same distance as a 5-wood (which are usually 18-21*), so one of your hybrids might carry the same distance as the wood... if so, you may want to switch the bag around a bit.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

If you hit it about the same distance as you hit another club... you might want to at least think about dropping it for the additional wedge. You just have to ask yourself which is more advantagous to have in the bag... for me an 11* gap between my PW and next wedge would be problematic. I only carry two wedges, but as you can see the spacing is 6*... as my PW is 46* and I have a 52* then a 58*. I personally hit my 18* hybrid the same distance as a 5-wood (which are usually 18-21*), so one of your hybrids might carry the same distance as the wood... if so, you may want to switch the bag around a bit.

Yeah i hit my 22* hybrid just as far as my 22* fairway wood but for some reason im more accurate with the wood if im in the short grass. That does make sense on the wedge though... Thanks for the advice.

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!