IGNORED

Returning After 20 Years

Note: This thread is 1079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Firstly, complete newbie to the site here, so hello!

I used to play regularly(ish) as a teenager and was "ok" - average around 30-35 strokes over (never quite eradicated the double digit score on one hole that ruined the round!).

I'm now returning to the sport after about 20 years and could really do with some general advice on getting back to, and beyond, the level I was before.

Realistically I won't be able to play more than once a week - is it too hopeful to expect I can get back to a sub 36 HC over the course of the Spring/Summer?

Is it recommended to spend more time on the range or on courses?  And perhaps focusing on par-3 courses at the beginning to focus on the basics?

I intend to get lessons, but will 2-3 be enough to set me on the right track, or will I need to invest more time/money to get the most out of this?

Any advice appreciated!

17 minutes ago, RobP said:

Firstly, complete newbie to the site here, so hello!

I used to play regularly(ish) as a teenager and was "ok" - average around 30-35 strokes over (never quite eradicated the double digit score on one hole that ruined the round!).

I'm now returning to the sport after about 20 years and could really do with some general advice on getting back to, and beyond, the level I was before.

Realistically I won't be able to play more than once a week - is it too hopeful to expect I can get back to a sub 36 HC over the course of the Spring/Summer?

Is it recommended to spend more time on the range or on courses?  And perhaps focusing on par-3 courses at the beginning to focus on the basics?

I intend to get lessons, but will 2-3 be enough to set me on the right track, or will I need to invest more time/money to get the most out of this?

Any advice appreciated!

Welcome back to Golf and Welcome to TST.  As for Range vs Course I say "Balance" is key.  You need to be on the course to experience the "Real Game" but you also need to practice on the range and the Range can get a little tiresome if that is all you do.  Par-3 courses are great if working on your Irons & Approach shots but will not help you with the driver.

I'm a lover of lessons but too many too soon may give you too much to work on in a short period of time.  2-3 lessons sounds like a good place to start, just do not jam them into a short period of time, you will want to practice in between.  There are more members on TST with more/better insight that I and I am confident they will chime in.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as practice/play distribution, I think it depends what you're looking to get out of it.  If you're looking to have a good time that includes little concern about what you score, then playing more would be how I'd approach it.  If you're looking to improve, then at the very least I'd suggest hitting the range 1-2 times a week if you're playing once a week.  As for lessons, as was suggested by @StuM I wouldn't jam too many of them into a short period of time.  Realistically, to improve you'll probably have to spend a decent amount of time on different aspects.  The other recommendation I'd make is to start a swing video so that people with far greater knowledge of the golf swing than I can suggest things to work on to start.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!