IGNORED

First round walking this year...Why am I so sore??

Finn07
Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I walked 18 holes today and man, by the 13th hole I was having trouble staying down on the ball to hit my shots, my back was basically shot, so stiff.
Im hoping that this was because it was the first walk of the year....I like to walk when I play but finishing the round today was a challenge, this really never happens to me. Any of you guys that regularly walk experience this in the beginning of the year? If so, let me know.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

not really... I play hockey and racquetball all offseason. But, when I carried back before I got a push cart, my shoulders would get tired and my shots would suffer after about 14 holes... especially early in the season. I have never been bothered by the walking, only the carrying... unless of course it's 95 degrees outside or something.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Do you do any sort of stretching before or after your round. If you've been inactive through the winter the muscles are probably tight and need to be loosened up before and after the round, especially if it is a little cold out. There is a book called Golf RX about strength and stretching for golf. One of the chapters is called 18 stretches for 18 holes; a different one to do on each tee. These may help you out.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

So I walked 18 holes today and man, by the 13th hole I was having trouble staying down on the ball to hit my shots, my back was basically shot, so stiff.

What did you do in the off-season to maintain cardio, back strength, and leg strength?

Before I had any real strength in these areas, I used to shoot horribly the last six holes of an 18-hole round, then the last five, and so on. Now I can walk a course that is reasonably hilly (I haven't tried an overly hilly course) and still hit good shots on the last hole. But I do plenty of cardio and I live in a semi-hilly part of L.A. and do lots of walking. I also can play golf nearly year-round, and that helps.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have never been bothered by the walking, only the carrying... unless of course it's 95 degrees outside or something.

It's probably the carrying like posted above, guess the smaller muscles need to be retrained and get used to stabilizing the bag bouncing up and down and side to side.

I took about 1 month off from walking in November, 1st round back walking 18, the "bear" jumped on my back around 14. Swing fell off pretty good.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I work out all winter long. Cardio (walking) 20 minutes a day on a treadmill with a slight incline. I do that about 3 days a week along with weight training. Im just hoping that this is because I havent walked about 5 miles carrying clubs on my back in quite some time. My game really suffered on the back nine..
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

probably just because it was the first round of the year. maybe try putting some weights in a backpack (well supported of course) and walkfor exercise to simulate the weight of a golf bag. I know i am always sore the first time after the winter break. maybe a sports back massage will help..

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

probably just because it was the first round of the year. maybe try putting some weights in a backpack (well supported of course) and walkfor exercise to simulate the weight of a golf bag. I know i am always sore the first time after the winter break. maybe a sports back massage will help..

My wife would love that excuse!! The weights in a backpack is a very good idea. Im going to try that tomorrow morning at the gym, just wondering what the trainers are going to think of me when I start taking 10 lb weights and shoving them in my backpack!!

Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!