IGNORED

Advantages to paying high green fees..

kekoa
Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the past weekend I had the pleasue of playing the La Costa (South Course) and Tustin Ranch golf course. Each weekend green fee is in the $170 range.

I noticed a few things that i really liked:
1. Courses are in much better shape.
2. Less crowded
3. Players have better etiquette
4. You don't hear fore!!! as much.
5. Staff is friendlier and more helpful
6. Marshals actually do their job
7. Most golf carts have GPS.

That said, I actually prefer paying more to get the abover perks. I hope this doesn't sound snobbish, but it makes the game so much more enjoyable.

It definatly is more enjoyable, but you got lucky. Some courses you pay that much and you still don't even get the perks that you mentioned.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Over the past weekend I had the pleasue of playing the La Costa (South Course) and Tustin Ranch golf course. Each weekend green fee is in the $170 range.

You're getting what you paid for. Of all the courses I've played in Westchester, only one has GPS carts: Hudson Hills. It's also the most expensive and is in the best condition. It's nice to land in the fairway and not see your ball sitting on rocks or duck crap. Worse yet is finding missing pieces of the fairway as irrigation projects have led to poor course maintenance.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

1. Courses are in much better shape.

Yep, that's what you get when you pay more money. The layouts are toughter but you can play better becasue the greens are usually the same speed, the fairways are fair and the sand is consistent. The fringe around the greens is usually trimmed to spec and the holes are not crowned.

I still find it hard to pay over $30-$50. I played 54 holes this weekend for less than $100. I could not afford to play that much if I payed higher prices SubPar

as for not hearing fore as much, money has nothing to do with skill

I've seen some rich people actually suck major balls

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

as for not hearing fore as much, money has nothing to do with skill

thats true, but I'm mainly referring to people who hit into you from behind. Players that can afford higher prices just seem more civilized and patient. IMO.

Save some cash and play Talega. It's nice. "Free" (included) tees and fresh fruit at the first tee. And if you book online at C4TT or similar, you can usually get on for $60 or so. Only downside is they charge for range balls.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you just got lucky..From my expereince public courses with expensive greens fees are just that - expensive. I dont know if this happens anywhere else, but some new jersey courses charge big green fees just to price certiain types of people out, it doesnt nessicarily mean you will get a great conditioned course and great service. There is a place in south jersey called golden pheasant like that. A couple of my friends went down there to visit a friend, paid like 70 bucks a peice with no cart to play this place, and it was an absolute cow patch. I wanted to punch sombody in the face after I was done.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I don't know anything about Tustin Ranch but I spent a week at La Costa. I didn't have to pay for it or it probably would never have happened. That resort is so well managed that I would expect nothing but first rate service. Unfortunately, out here in the 'heartland', the more expensive fee doesn't guarantee you anything. Oh, you generally can't get a massage either.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I don't know anything about Tustin Ranch but I spent a week at La Costa. I didn't have to pay for it or it probably would never have happened. That resort is so well managed that I would expect nothing but first rate service. Unfortunately, out here in the 'heartland', the more expensive fee doesn't guarantee you anything. Oh, you generally can't get a massage either.

honestly, I think the la costa resort wasn't the best example beacause i was not overly impressed with the south course which is the one pga players play. Tustin Ranch was plain awsome although most of their greens were 2 or 3 tiered. I've actually had much better experiences in palm springs at the various resorts out there.

honestly, I think the la costa resort wasn't the best example beacause i was not overly impressed with the south course which is the one pga players play. Tustin Ranch was plain awsome although most of their greens were 2 or 3 tiered. I've actually had much better experiences in palm springs at the various resorts out there.

Glad to hear about Tustin Ranch. Hope I get a chance.

As I recall, the South Course is the original course. It can be pretty hairy looking. The pros play a mixture of holes from both courses as far as I know. Everybody know that par 3 with the lake they play as the 17th. It's actually the 10th on the North Course so you probably didn't play it.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Sometimes you pay reasonable and get awesome golf. Anything over 100 is really getting crazy. But, I guess you can't put a price on your own happiness. If you don't mind paying and it was a great time, so what. Enjoy!

The Palm Springs courses are great. I've played Cimarron, Trilogy LQ, and both PGA SoCal courses (technically it's Beaumont for that) -- all in the summer. Empty course, play at your own pace, don't run into anyone, and cheap. You just have to remember to pack a ton of water and ice.

I paid $60 at PGA SoCal last August for 36 holes, cart, lunch, range balls, and bottled water. I hope to go out there regularly this summer!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guess I would say that I'm fairly lucky then... there are 3 courses off the top of my head in my area that you can pay less than $50 (one could be played for about $25, other $34, and the last around $45) and get all those. Most other courses would be in the $65 range and qualify under those credentials. Anything over $50, at least at this point, I have to really want to play in order to pay it.....

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

If I were a single digit HC, I wouldn't mind paying $100 or more. However I just can't justify paying more than $40 right now....I hit to many bad shots

It is a goal of mine..I can't wait until the day I play Barton Creek. If I could hit more fairways and have a little better iron play, the wife better increase my golf allowance...

I can pay about 40-80 to get those perks in my area
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

plain and simple I hate playing golf with rich people

I'd rather deal with morons then feel that typical I'm better than you crap that so many people associate with golf, doesnt help the game

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!