IGNORED

Z Factor - Best Training Aid Ever

Note: This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How come you prefer the Z Factor over the Accelerator?

I live in an apartment and don't have a course near me. For my situation, the Accelerator is fantastic. Provides the putting surface as well as the lines.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
How come you prefer the Z Factor over the Accelerator?

I've never used the Accelerator, but from looking at it, it's clear that it's not even in the same class or category. Comparing apples and oranges.

And again from just looking at it, it's just a putting mat with some arrows. Whoopty doo?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess if you use an arced putting stroke, the Z Factor has an advantage. But if you are straight back and through, then I don't see the difference (both have the effect of training you to get the clubface square through impact).

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• Administrator
I guess if you use an arced putting stroke, the Z Factor has an advantage. But if you are straight back and through, then I don't see the difference (both have the effect of training you to get the clubface square through impact).

The Z Factor does square-to-square, too, and given the fact that virtually nobody putts square-to-square, it still doesn't help your case. Furthermore, there's a big difference between little lines painted on something and a thing that literally guides the putter head.

Apples and oranges. I'm glad you have a mat, but it's off-topic as far as this thread's concerned, that's how little it has to do with the Z Factor.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

An argument can be made that the aide that actually guides your putter is not as effective, as it makes you reliant on the aide without allowing you to develop the muscle memory of actually controlling your putter head. The one with the lines, or just a simple chalk line, allows you to create a repeatable path while do a better job developing your muscle memory.

Regarding nobody using straight back, once I align the face of the putter square to the target line, the most important thing is to return the clubface to that position at impact. The best way to do that is to swing the putter straight back and straight through along the same path. This straight-back path is especially important on putts of 5 feet or less, where I'm not hitting the ball very hard. On longer putts, where I'm forced to turn my shoulders more in order to take the putter back farther, the putterhead tends to move to the inside a little. That's fine; I'd have to separate my arms from my body too much to keep the putter moving along the straight-back path.

Lots of people use straight back, or focus on straight back, only arching their stroke without conscious regard to the path on longer putts.

What's in the bag

I've never used the Accelerator, but from looking at it, it's clear that it's not even in the same class or category. Comparing apples and oranges.

Well that was helpful. The negativity in this post is great. I was wondering why a 2 handicap needs a 300 dollar training device in the first place. And what are you getting out of promoting it on this forum?

My advice is to use whatever works for you. Remember that golf is played between the ears.

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

• Administrator
An argument can be made that the aide that actually guides your putter is not as effective, as it makes you reliant on the aide without allowing you to develop the muscle memory of actually controlling your putter head.

I think it'd be a pretty weak argument at that. You've got to be able to know what the proper stroke feels like before you can repeat it. Dean Thompson himself will tell you that a lot of people THINK they have a particular stroke, but don't. He puts them on the Z Factor and they're quite surprised.

The one with the lines, or just a simple chalk line, allows you to create a repeatable path while do a better job developing your muscle memory.

You have to repeat the path before you can build "muscle memory."

Additionally, you're wrong about the "straight back, straight through" stuff the latter part of your post covers, but if you want to discuss it further, please take it to one of the many threads devoted to that topic.
Lots of people use straight back, or focus on straight back, only arching their stroke without conscious regard to the path on longer putts.

And lots of people are poor, poor putters. You're likely doing yourself a dis-service if you try to putt straight back, straight through. If you're even doing it to begin with.

I was wondering why a 2 handicap needs a 300 dollar training device in the first place.

That's a pretty silly way to look at things. I suppose the training aids Tiger or Vijay use are even more pointless, eh? How do you think I got to be a 2.7 index to begin with?

And what are you getting out of promoting it on this forum?

Asked and answered - nothing but satisfaction from pointing others at a useful device. We're here to help. That's why we write reviews.

Have either of you bothered to read the review itself? As stated above, let's get back on topic. The topic isn't "which putting stroke should you use" or "I like putting mats" or "do good golfers need training aids?"

I am considering purchasing the Z Factor but I'll wait and see if the price drops a bit first. (At present shipping costs to the Uk + Sales Tax + import tax would make a very large bill!)

My vote for 'best putting training aid' I've tried so far would go to the Boomerang. Such a simple idea, so addictive and so hard!! Would work well with the Z Factor I would imagine.

I am considering purchasing the Z Factor but I'll wait and see if the price drops a bit first. (At present shipping costs to the Uk + Sales Tax + import tax would make a very large bill!)

I am waiting for a time when I can afford it too. I think the ones protesting on this thread would like to try it too..just cant ante up. Good thread Erik.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

The Z Factor does square-to-square, too, and given the fact that

I putt square-to-square, or as closely to it as I can, so I feel like this statement is incorrect.

I would love to one day get the Z factor, however $300 is a bit steep for a college student. I am hoping that soon I can find one on EBAY for a decent price. My main question for you, Iacas, is what would the Z factor do to help improve a square-to-square putting style that laying two clubs on the ground and putting between them wouldn't do. For instance, when I feel my stroke starting to get too "rounded", I like to lay down my 2 and 3 irons and putt between them. I allow a very small bit of room on either side of the putter head to compensate for the natural movement on of the club head. After looking at the Z factor, it seems like it is ultimately doing the exact same thing, except with magnets and lasers all combined in a cooler package. I did read the review on it, and I am intrested in purchasing one, I would just like to hear your opinion on how it can help me .
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

What convinced me to go ahead and order one was not the track to groove the swing but rather the magnet system that readily displays errors I impart to the clubface.

Two parallel clubs won't show the wrist action twisting the clubface as easily as the Z Factor is supposed to.

My Z factor is supposed to arrive in a couple of weeks and I'll post a newbie's opinion of it then.

• Administrator
I putt square-to-square, or as closely to it as I can, so I feel like this statement is incorrect.

Quite honestly, and based on what Dean's told me, I doubt that you do. Virtually every golfer he puts on his system with the square-to-square path immediately rejects it as feeling odd. You may putt square to square - Dean's found two pro players ever who do for putts under 20 feet - but it's unlikely.

My main question for you, Iacas, is what would the Z factor do to help improve a square-to-square putting style that laying two clubs on the ground and putting between them wouldn't do.

Since it's my belief that the square-to-square stroke, for most people, require wrist manipulation to maintain a square clubface, it'd help you feel that, as the other person noted.

It'd also help you to learn the proper height (back and through) for your stroke. A lot of the people who try to putt square-to-square seem to have problems with this in particular. If I'm right about what I said earlier (based on Dean's observations), it'd also show you that you don't actually putt square to square. I don't believe S2S is a good way to putt, frankly, so I don't know that I can say much more with any authority about how the Z Factor may or may not help you. It should help you the same way it helps those with an arc stroke: by teaching you the proper stroke, which is more than just taking the putter along a certain path. It's height, it's face angle, and it's doing all of that smoothly.

It'd also help you to learn the proper height (back and through) for your stroke. A lot of the people who try to putt square-to-square seem to have problems with this in particular..

This is very true. Sometimes on longer putts I will ground my vlub when coming through my stroke. It would be a good tool for this reason alone. I believe that I have a good grasp on the wrist manipultation concept, but I still have problems controlling the height.

It should help you the same way it helps those with an arc stroke: by teaching you the proper stroke, which is more than just taking the putter along a certain path. It's height, it's face angle, and it's doing all of that smoothly

Putting has always been the weakest part of my game. I average over 30 putts around and I am still managing to post score of 78-86. I really think that if I could develop a consistent putting stroke that I will be able to move down into a single digit handicap and improve my game.

I may have to get one of these things soon. I have heard nothing but good about them and I honestly have nothing to lose and everything to gain in putting stroke. Thanks for the input.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Good review. Think I might have to bite the bullet. Putting is the main thing slowing me down. Shot a 73 yesterday with three 3 putts. Nearly drove myself crazy...lol.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I don't know why but I found Erik's "Whoopty doo" extremely funny, and put into words what I thought when I looked at that device.

I really like the concept but 3 bones is a lot (I know it isn't when compared to a driver). Maybe have to save up for this one till the winter. Keep us posted on your progress with it. Matt

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

• Administrator
Good review. Think I might have to bite the bullet. Putting is the main thing slowing me down. Shot a 73 yesterday with three 3 putts. Nearly drove myself crazy...lol.

To be honest, though, if you three-putted because of speed, the Z Factor won't help you much. If you three-putted because you pushed or pulled the three-foot second putts you left yourself, it can.

• 3 weeks later...
My Z Factor arrived at my house this week and all I can say is, why the heck did I wait so long to order it. Once I got it set up to what felt "right" for my putting stroke, it was easy to find out what flaws I had in my putting stroke and to correct them quickly and to make a repeatable stroke every time. Very much worth the money.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

it's very tempting...

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Note: This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!