IGNORED

Keeping your head in the game.

ChiChiIsMe
Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Routine routine routine. My home course went from 27 to 18 holes this season (so they could build a 'golf course community'), and play has slowed significantly as a result. What I've found that helps me the most has been to develop a consistent pre shot routine for every shot I hit and then stick to it no matter how mentally unglued the 6+ hour round is getting me. I find that it's keeping me more consistent with my striking on full swings, and that my chipping and putting are improving immensely despite the wait times. All those years I ignored the pre-shot....could have had my scores down where they are now a long time ago!

-C

ITB:
905R Proforce V2
SS03 Fujikura Tour Platform
MD 21 Irod
MD 25 Fujikura Tour PlatformKZG Forged Blades 5-PW Rifle 5.5 Vokey SM 54/08, 60/04 Rifle Spinner Kombi 35"

Even though I know that nearly every instructor and pro will say you have to have one, I find the 'pre-shot routine' a big area of confusion. I think the inclination is to have some pre-defined series of actions that signal you to go into "game mode," or something. However, I find that if I blindly follow some set of actions, it's a panacea. The "pre-shot routine" has to be consistent but dynamic, not mechanical. Example:

BAD ROUTINE:
* Stand behind ball
* Put on/tighten your glove
* Grip club
* Address ball
* Look up, waggle, look up, waggle, go

GOOD ROUTINE:
* Stand behind ball
* Choose shot type and target
* Picture swing executing shot type, possible rehearse length/tempo
* Address ball
* Go

The good routine centers around the individual shot, and while it has predefined steps, each step necessarily has freedom to be different. Some little sleeve tug or whatnot, to me, is like a false show of confidence and can mask whether or not you're truly prepared. I think if you have a routine like this for each shot, it can reduce how much waiting bothers you.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!