IGNORED

Keeping your head in the game.

ChiChiIsMe
Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do you keep your head in the game? I've been working the last 6 months on the mechanics, and have been doing well, but I feel for me to take the next step I need to work on my mental game.

For example, Sunday was a beautiful day. We were off @ 8:20 and did not wait on a single shot on the front. I was 2 over for 38 with one missed fairway.

Then we get to 10 tee and there are 3 groups on the hole. One on the tee, one in the fairway and one on the green. We waited on every shot on the back. I was 10 over 45 only hit one fairway.

I KNOW a big part of my collapse was the waiting. Nothing sucks the life out of me faster than waiting on every shot. Add to it as I started with the bad play I was working out in my head what I needed to do to break 80.......that didn't help, but I think the wait is really what killed my game.

So what does everybody do when it's slow on the course?
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

For me it's typically chatting with my playing partners (hopefully the conversation doesn't go in the direction of dealing with slow play...). Trying to keep it light and not get worked up. Do some stretching or some practice swings.

Keeping your head in the game is the hardest thing for me to do. I think alot of golfers start getting impatient due to slow play. The only thing I have been able to do that seems to help a little is to slow myself down before I even step foot on the course. I make sure that I arrive at least 30 minutes before my tee time. I even force myself to drive the speed limit and listen to some mellow music. I mentally try and prepare myself for anything that could happen and accept it before it happens. I find that if I set a slow tempo for myself before I get to the course it is much easier to keep a mellow demeanor when I am on the course.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Whenever it looks like I'm about to be waiting for a while, I look for a nice shade tree to sit under. Then I kind of just "meditate" in a loose sense of the word. I just soak in the golf course, knowing that when I'm at work the next week I will be wishing that I was here again.

Anyways, this helps me to not think about my score or the group in front.
In my bag:

Driver: R540xd
3wood: F-50
3-PW: MP-60Wedges: misc. + RAC Chrome 56°Putter: Oz Blue ChipBall: One Platinum

In my short time playing golf (2nd year), I've noticed a DRAMATIC difference in my scoring from when playing at public versus private courses.
Mainly, the public courses are all packed with tee times every 8 - 12 minutes, while the private courses have tee times every 20 - 30 minutes apart.
When the course get backed up and you're playing that hit and wait golf, it really messes up my groove.
I can honestly say whenever I play waiting golf, I shoot about 10 strokes higher than when I can walk to the ball, hit and go.

So for those that feel like answering this, HOW DO YOU DEAL?
Do you melt down like I do and just let your scores suffer?
Do you play the same as you do, and if so, how do you keep it together?
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

It doesn't bother me really, mostly because I'm very deliberate with my prep for each shot. I don't mean to make that sound like a good thing, its mostly because i'm such a headcase i have to slow everything down and be sure i'm comfortable. I usually end up taking 5-6 practice swings (3-4 very loose ones while standing behind the ball getting my line, then step up find the feeling, address ball, pause for a couple seconds, and go.)

anyways, i would try using the time to have a conversation with a playing partner, that way I am not "waiting", i'm doing something else and the round is on pause.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I realize this sounds stupid, but I decide to not let it bother me.

I stretch, I chat, I eat, I sit down if there's some shade, I clean my clubs, I pretend I'm talking to my caddy or to adoring fans outside the ropes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I crack open a cold one and try to laugh it off. I hate waiting too. But if you play on the weekends on public courses, it is hard to avoid.

In my bag

Driver 905R 9.5 with Aldila
3-wood G10 15 degree
Hybrid G10 18 degreeIrons MP 32Wedges 52 & 56 & 60 degreePutter SC SS Newport 1.5Ball

I always try to do something rather than sit around and watch. I either BS with my friends about something interesting or I juggle the golf ball with my club (think Tiger woods commercial).

Also...never ever think about your score. It will mess you up everytime.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I play public courses where the play is slow regularly so I can feel your pain. I have come up with a few ways to pass the time to keep your head in the game.

One thing not to do is to stand over the ball waiting to hit off the tee or fairway while people are in the way. This just adds to the frustration. I won't pull out the club and start the pre-shot routine until the area ahead is clear. I figure out the yardage and club selection in my head but will settle in for the wait after that.

On the tee box we have a game of putting with our drivers at the tee markers. It can be fun and it helps pass the time while still being able to stay loose.

You can pull out a wedge and see how many times you can hit the ball up and down (think Tiger commercial).

If you are near a lost ball area, venture over and see if you can find any.

Check your clubs and see if any need cleaning.

Check the scores (MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA, PGA) on your cell phone.

I have a rule book in my bag and will look through that and try and find something I didn't know.

For the dreaded, overbooked, charity 4-person scramble tournaments, I will bring a magazine to pass the time since I know I will wait on every shot.

Sometimes I will just sit and chat with my buddies.

The biggest thing for me is to not be thinking about how long the wait is, because I just get frustrated. This adds to having bad thoughts and then bad shots because I am so upset about how slow it is playing.

Once the area is clear, grab the club, put on the glove, go through the whole routine as if you had the course all to yourself.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Also...never ever think about your score. It will mess you up everytime.

YEa, I knew better.....somedays ya just can't help it!

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Pre shot routine. I do exactly the same thing each and every time I am playing a shot, so the difference of whether or not I have to wait between shots causes no problem to me.

Focus on your game one shot at a time, whether you have to wait or you can just walk up and hit, you still play golf one shot at a time.

I do not mind waiting at all. During summer I have all the time in the world and waiting does not bug me. As much as I wait it still feels like i got the course done in 4 hrs. I get to chat with my friends. Think over my shot numerous times, and it actually results in a better game for me.

If the people infront are fast, but still have to be waited for, I dont mind at all.

its the people that do stupid things and totally suck infront of me that makes me angry.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Another thing that may be worth trying: rest at the range. Not while the course is slow, just when you're hitting balls at the practice tee, stop and sit down for ten minutes. Don't do this if the range is crowded and others are waiting for stalls, and don't do it between every shot, but do this every few shots. Get used to getting back into the swing of things.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always try to do something rather than sit around and watch. I either BS with my friends about something interesting or I juggle the golf ball with my club (think Tiger woods commercial).

same here. i try to get my mind out of the game until its time to hit the ball.

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

How do you keep your head in the game?...

Last time I played, I was at a local course as a single and got hitched up with some ultra-amateurs. If they were even keeping score, they would have been in the high 90s if not 100s. I shot one under. It's not about keeping focus for the whole round, its about keeping focus on when you are sizing up, and about to hit your shot. When you are in wait mode, try enjoying your surroundings. CHeck out the views, the nice homes on the course, or get your game ready for when the drink cart girl comes around the next time. You are out on a golf course on a nice day. Just think there are some shlubs working, extremely jealous they are not out there.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!