IGNORED

Low Spinners (Viktor Hovland, AoA)

iacas

• iacas changed the title to Low Spinners (Viktor Hovland, AoA)
  • iacas changed the title to Low Spinners (Viktor Hovland, Aoa)

Great post Erik, super informative. I've been following Joe on Instagram for a few months now and had been meaning to ask you your thoughts/opinions on what he teaches. 

I'll have to give this a shot, I've hit low spinners before but not necessarily when I was trying to.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 hours ago, klineka said:

I'll have to give this a shot, I've hit low spinners before but not necessarily when I was trying to.

Ha ha, yeah, that’s how a lot of people hit them: accidentally.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Have been messing with the low spinner on my gc3 the past week or so. I found the angle of attack part quite easy but still wasn’t getting high spin numbers. The gc3 doesn’t have the lie or the dynamic loft numbers which made it quite confusing to sort out at first. But after a few sessions I’m consistently launching the ball sub 30 with 4000 - 5000 spin. I personally needed a squarer face, a steeper backswing that goes more outside the hands, a closed stance and more shaft lean at address/impact.  Clean contact feels almost guaranteed now. 

Not sure I’d ever have figured this shot out on my own. So thanks to Erik / Joe Mayo for leading me down this road. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, cedrictheo said:

So thanks to Erik

Feels like a lotta credit there for just messing around in Pinehurst. 😉 

I found this video this morning:

I particularly love the part where he says he's going to be really shallow… and then…

shallow.jpg

</sarcasm>

(The video is otherwise pretty good.) That part just made me chuckle. Measure, people.lowspinners.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hadn’t thought about firmer wrists for these shots before. It makes sense. Tried messing with this shot yesterday and it was working pretty well. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I like the low spinner out of the fairway. I actually find it easier than using the bounce but it’s probably due to my tendency to drag the handle so it’s just a more natural shot for me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 11/28/2023 at 11:52 PM, klineka said:

On 11/29/2023 at 7:37 AM, iacas said:

Ha ha, yeah, that’s how a lot of people hit them: accidentally.

I picked one clean on 18th from a tight lie two weeks ago for third from 40-ish yards (I was just trying to get it on the green, like anywhere on the green). I am still signing autographs.  

• Funny 1

Vishal S.

Your post is much more informative than the one I initially followed here from Clay Ballard for full shots. I had always favored descent angle instead of spin for wedges. I am much better around the greens and from 100 yards this year with much less practice and playing time than I can recall.

:

If this

• Administrator

@Clemsonfan, you ended the post with "If this" and it included what appears to be a full swing video. Was there more to what you wanted to say? This post is mostly about the short game, chipping, 7- to 30-yard "checkers."

13 hours ago, iacas said:

@Clemsonfan, you ended the post with "If this" and it included what appears to be a full swing video. Was there more to what you wanted to say? This post is mostly about the short game, chipping, 7- to 30-yard "checkers."

@iacas, I was sharing that I do something similar for full wedge shots. Thought I wrote, “if this detracts from the short game discussion, please remove it.”

@iacas Thanks for your thorough explanation of this shot (which I have also hit by accident, LOL)! Your discussion ties several things together for me, including how to execute the low spinner.

I joined Mayo's Patreon site and found his comments and videos fascinating. Although I cancelled at the end of November, it was not because of the quality of his videos but rather that at my level I need to develop a reliable basic pitch first. 

Edited by Bob M
fix clumsy wording
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Do you hold it through impact?

Hold what? Shaft lean? Kinda depends on the size of the shot. It doesn't really matter — the ball is gone — and depends mostly on how the club interacts with the ground and the size of the shot.

I find that a small float load can help deliver the right amount of shaft lean at impact and thus thus the right amount of spin loft.

I’ve been having a lot of success with this idea. Lots of spin and low shots with control. Having fun with it. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

96 likes, 16 comments - athletic_motion_golf on January 23, 2024: "It’s always fun hanging out and talking short game with @stevenbowdo83. Here are a few screen ..."

Not so steep shots here… 😉 

• Like 1