IGNORED

Backswing issues

Note: This thread is 5859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am an average weekend golfer who wishes to become consistent and better with my golf game. I recently noticed something very curious about my backswing and was wondering if I am just over-analyzing my swing or am on to something here.

I have a really quick backswing and downswing. I have to pay special attention to make sure that I do not do that to my backswing because almost everytime I do that I end up slicing the ball .. bad. Is there any explanation to this? Is this a 'plane' thing?

If I focus and slow my backswing down while keeping my downswing at my same quick and normal level almost all my shots are straight. Other than the obvious of trying to focus on slowing my backswing everytime are there any drills or tips you guys may have to help me out.

Thanks.

Driver: r7
3 Wood: Insight BUL
5 Wood: T40
3 I-Wood: 3dx
4-SW: NVG2LW: Putter: Rossa MonzaBall: Noodle - Long and Soft

I have a really quick backswing and downswing. I have to pay special attention to make sure that I do not do that to my backswing because almost everytime I do that I end up slicing the ball .. bad. Is there any explanation to this? Is this a 'plane' thing?

Hard to say if it's a 'plane' issue without seeing your swing, but it seems to me you get so quick that your hands aren't getting through the ball -- open at impact. If it is an issue with your plane then likely you are coming over the top. You could ingrain tempo into your swing by a counting method that is common (1,2, pause 3) where the 1 and 2 are the backswing and pause at the top with 3 being the downswing. There are variations to this, but I have used it in the past when I feel myself getting fast. Another thing is your arm quickness may completely nullify the lower body action by outracing it. Try to keep the hips active toward the target (talking inches here - more of a rotation) before the upper body move -- that's what I try to do. Hope it helps.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

You should also pay attention to your hands. It seems that you are really fast and because of this, the back of your lead hand is not pointing at the target at impact.

One thing you may want to try as it has helped me when I find myself going too fast:

When making your backswing, ensure that your head and shoulder turn is behind the ball. You also want to make sure that your head is still behind the ball upon impact. This will prevent you from lifting, going too fast and having your hands rush through the hitting zone.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I would suspect that you are moving things in the wrong order, and getting body parts out of sync when you feel like your swing is fast. From a feel perspective I'd say you want to feel like no body part is out racing another in the backswing. To help you get a constant speed from one swing to another you may want to try either counting or saying a word or name during your backswing. If you're too quick you will not be able to say your phrase or complete your count. Here are some examples:

Ernie Els counts: 1 - as he takes the club back, 2 as he reaches the top of the swing, and 3 as he makes contact with the ball. Annika Sorenstam counts: 1, 2, 3 as she takes the club back, and 1, 2, 3, as she brings the club down. Vijay Singh says: seventeen (or was it nineteen ) as he makes his back swing. Arnold Palmer was rumored to says his name while he swung.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

It could be lack of balance causing you to speed up the swing. The more you turn while not balanced, the faster your body is going to try to change your direction which may also be causing your coming through the ball open causing your slice. I like to think of my swing like this when that happens to me. When i start my swing I point my left knee at the ball (right hand golfer)while pulling my right hip straight back which makes sure i rotate my body instead of slide, and keeps my upper body from having too much tension alowing me to control my plane with my hands easily. I also think stop at the top and slowly start the downswing from there. This seems to get me back when i'm swinging bad, hope it helps you a little.

Thanks guys. I'll try to focus on the tips you have given and hopefully be able to establish a good enough swing tempo to become more consistent and better with my shots.

Remember the most important thing guys

You dont hit the ball on your backswing!

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Remember the most important thing guys

Amen to that. I was flipping channels yesterday when I happened to watch Lorena Ochoa swing her driver yesterday. Her backswing was so slow that I changed channels when she started it and when I came back to it a few minutes later she had just reached the top of her swing.

Ok .. so maybe I am exaggerating. But I was definitely a surprised/shocked to see (or finally take notice) that a slow backswing does not really seem to make any difference on how straight or far the ball goes. Now I just need to fall into the habit of slowing down my backswing every time.

Note: This thread is 5859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!