IGNORED

2023 Portland Classic

Tontj5

My field rating for this event is a very solid 69.5 %, way way up from 32% last year.
My breakdown is 78% from the LPGA Priority List and 61% from the Rolex Rankings.
Eight of the top ten players in the world will be teeing it up, and fifteen of the top twenty.
The field will be led by top ten players:
Lilia Vu
Nelly Korda
Ruoning Yin
Lydia Ko
Hyo Joo Kim
Allisen Corpuz
Charley Hull
Brooke Henderson
Top ten players skipping the event:
Jin Young Ko 
Celine Boutier
Other players skipping the event include:
Minjee Lee
Leona Maguire
A Lim Kim
Eun He Ji
Cheyenne Knight
Amy Yang
Anna Nordqvist

The Local qualifiers were:
Riley Reynolds -4
Chanattee Wannasaen -4

Other stuff:
Megan Khang was the 9th first time winner this year. Last year there were a record breaking 11 first time winners.
Megan Khang's victory this past weekend was the third straight for an American player, and 8th of the season. No other country has more than three.
The eight victories for the USA matches last years win total. No other country had more than four in 2022.
Megan Khang's victory was the 8th this year that was decided in a playoff. 

In the important Race to the CME Globe, where finishing in the top 100 will get players into most tournaments in 2024, there were some notable changes:
Lucy Li jumps into the top 100, moving from 110-99. Soo Bin Joo falls out 99-101.
Lauren Coughlin wrapped up her spot for next year jumping from 80-65.
Other players that still have some work to do, but have measurably improved their chances are:
Mi Hyang Lee 94-77
Apichaya Yubol 95-83
Jeongeun Lee5 is still on the outside lookin in, but moved up from 123 to 104.

There wasn't much movement in the Rolex Rankings this week as most players went up or down just a few spots. The only ones worth reporting are:
Megan Khang leaps up from 28-13
Sei Young Kim moves from 50-44
There were some bigger moves outside the top 100:
Lauren Coughlin 136-108
Lucy Li 142-126
Alexa Pano 169-146
Mi Hyang Lee 236-193

The Solheim Cup rosters were announced this week with Team Europe sporting three Solheim rookies and Team USA five.
Team Europe rookies: Gemma Dryburgh, Maja Stark, and Linn Grant.
Team USA rookies: Lilia Vu, Allisen Corpuz, Megan Khang, Andrea Lee, and Cheyenne Knight.
Team Europe (playing at home) would seem to have a huge advantage in experience.
Solheim records for Team Europe 61-43-14
Solheim records for Team USA 24-26-13.
I will have much more on this subject in weeks to come.

• Administrator

We’ve asked you to not copy/paste because it messes with the formatting many times.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades