IGNORED

The right hand at impact (righty)

Maverick
Note: This thread is 6775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you guys try to "push" your right hand into shot at impact for more power? I noticed that sometimes it's good and sometimes it's BAADD. It seems like if your timing is great you're gonna get some more yardage but if you mis-time it it's a bad fat shot for me or bad hook.

That is basically my death move. I'm not near the golfer as you are Maverick, but my ball striking is improving dramatically as I avoid the push method.

Generally a right hand push produces a slice and more often than the dreaded shank. My accuracy is improving as I think "back of left hand toward target."

Just a hacker's 2 cents.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
That is basically my death move. I'm not near the golfer as you are Maverick, but my ball striking is improving dramatically as I avoid the push method.

The "push vs. pull" debate has raged for a long time in golf, and rarely has "push" ever made much sense to me. I think of pulling the clubhead into the back of the ball more than I would ever think of "pushing" anything. Pushing seems to imply to me that the clubhead is leading, and that does not seem right to me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The "push vs. pull" debate has raged for a long time in golf, and rarely has "push" ever made much sense to me. I think of pulling the clubhead into the back of the ball more than I would ever think of "pushing" anything. Pushing seems to imply to me that the clubhead is leading, and that does not seem right to me.

Okay, but in your world, which hand is exerting the most force? Is the left hand pulling more than the right or vice versa? Are both hands pulling equally? Or are the hands essentially doing nothing and it's one big shoulder turn through and the hands and arms are just along for the ride?

This discussion may help me with my grip pressure problem.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

• Administrator
Okay, but in your world, which hand is exerting the most force? Is the left hand pulling more than the right or vice versa? Are both hands pulling equally? Or are the hands essentially doing nothing and it's one big shoulder turn through and the hands and arms are just along for the ride?

Neither hand is exerting any real force, beside (lightly) holding on to the grip. That's it.

The right hand can't "pull" because it's behind the shaft. The left hand can because it's first, but in all honesty, my hands are the things being pulled along. It's a whiplash, "crack the whip," and the inside of the rope are my feet, knees, and hips. Then the shoulders, and the arms and by extension (no pun intended), the shaft and clubhead, just kind of "crack the whip" through impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!