IGNORED

RIP Dave Loggins - Master's Theme Songwriter

Dave Loggins, the singer-songwriter behind the 1974 hit "Please Come to Boston," passed away on Wednesday at Alive Hospice in Nashville at 76.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • Day 209 - Filmed some swings while working on my priority piece. Not seeing much progress on film.
    • Day 9: Worked on priority pieces with 6-iron. When the backswing piece and downswing piece are both executed well, I'm pleased with the result. I feel like backswing piece is in a good spot, but when when I shift thought/focus to downswing, I start to lose the backswing part. So for now just doing mostly rehearsals 3-4 and then address the ball and try a slow speed swing. Coming along, but needs a bunch more work.
    • Day 19: just a little bit of putting work. Worked on set up in a mirror, then worked on not moving my head forward in the downswing with the use of a door jamb. 
    • I don't read MGS's ball lab stuff, so I kind of skimmed through some other articles to get an idea of how they do things. I kind of find it odd that the results for the Prime 3.0 are reported slightly differently than they typically do with other balls. For example, this is the summary graphic for a ball they don't recommend from last year: And this is the relevant information on the graphic for the Prime 3.0: I don't know why it's different, I don't know what those letter grades mean, and I don't know how they arrived at the 13/100 score versus the 53/100 score for the Spalding ball. If you go through the article, you can determine that 6 Prime 3.0s were found to be not round. Out of 36, I believe, based on their testing methodology? So a significant difference from the Spalding. The Spalding article makes absolutely zero mention of compression variability as a parameter for evaluation, but it does on the Titleist AVX article, which is more recent. This is their concluding infographic for that: It's still different. They go on to mention how many balls in each category are considered bad in the Prime 3.0 article but don't mention the percentage of bad balls overall. Presumably, some of the six balls that failed the compression variability test are the same as the ones that failed the weight and roundness tests. 20 balls failed the weight test, though. Unless someone calibrated the scale incorrectly, that's a significant portion of the sample. Also, apparently they found that one ball wasn't even a Prime 3.0 but was stamped as such? That's pretty bad. I'm with @iacas on this one. I can't dismiss their findings entirely. It seems (if their testing is to be believed) that there were some significant QC problems with the production of these golf balls. But then I have to wonder, is the inconsistency really going to make that much of a difference in real world conditions with my golf game? I bet my swing produces more significant differences to the ball's performance than the manufacturing does. One final note, there are so many ads and pop ups on their website. I hate it.
    • The MGS stuff does give me some pause, though: I highly doubt a Snell has the tolerances of a Titleist or a TaylorMade (or a modern Callaway). Is it worth the cost? That's for you to decide. But if they're noticeably off-center, over-weight, not quite round… that's concerning. I can't dismiss it entirely. I do take it with a big grain of salt.

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...