IGNORED

My Swing (Ajw426)

ajw426

I've been Playing Golf for: 30 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 9
My typical ball flight is: Draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Thin hits where I have to hurt my lower back to barely reach the ball (contact near heel - occasionally bad enough to shank).  Secondary to that is a low hook.  Lower back pain is an issue when my swing is off as I have to use my (waning) flexibility to try to recover and make contact.  

Videos: 

• Administrator

I'd engage the legs more at setup, bend over more at the waist and let your torso be a bit more relaxed (you can round your back slightly), and have your arms hang almost vertically.

Then you'll likely want to work on a shift right almost immediately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'd engage the legs more at setup, bend over more at the waist and let your torso be a bit more relaxed (you can round your back slightly), and have your arms hang almost vertically.

Then you'll likely want to work on a shift right almost immediately.

That's incredibly helpful, thank you!  I've been working on my posture quite a bit based upon your lengthy posture post from years back.  Here is a picture of my old posture - hopefully it's better now compared to then.  I've been trying not to stick my butt out and trying to get rid of the arch in my lower back.  It does feel a bit too upright at times, so the idea of engaging the legs more might do wonders.  

posture.JPG

I used to have a terribly unbalanced sway to my right.  When I'm struggling and hitting the ball thin, it really feels like my low point is behind the ball at impact.  I end up flipping to reach the ball and still hit thin with lower back pain.  I was afraid of my old habit of swaying too far back and not being able to get fully recentered, so I'm focusing on maintaining a centered pivot.  That being said, I still feel like I'm hanging back too much on my right foot at impact, but when I try to get further left at impact, I just can't do it.  Is it correct to say that shifting right early in the backswing can actually make it easier to properly finish with my weight left?  I'll give it a try tonight on my simulator and see how it goes.

Thanks a million for the input, it's so greatly appreciated!

Edited by ajw426