IGNORED

golf for the masses

jasongst
Note: This thread is 5854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started really getting into golf a few years ago, and during that time I ended up in a situation that I really enjoy: Golfing every day. It may only be a few holes, but nearly every day I get a chance to go out and swing the sticks. This piecemeal approach even makes it easy for my wife to stomach, believe it or not, because it becomes part of a daily routine: She does a workout video, I play golf for an hour or two. I wish more people could have this kind of experience playing golf. (And one day, maybe I'll talk my wife into learning.)

The thing is, this is only possible through a reasonable 3-year membership I happened into (and the fact that I live 10 minutes from the course). I'm really privileged to be able to do this. At most clubs I would never be able to afford it, and at most public courses they do everything ala carte, meaning you pay at or near full price for every round. (I'd be broke in a matter of months!)

So I have this vision for golf, where anyone who can afford cable TV can afford to play golf every day. It's a tall order for sure, but I think it would open up the game to its true potential. It's a game that should be enjoyed as a game, not just as an occasional weekend event. And I don't intend to cater only to duffers here. Quite the opposite: I would hope that by making the game more accessible, that it would produce a new category of lower to middle-class golfers who actually have the means to put in the practice necessary to excel at it.

Running a course like this would obviously bear little resemblance to running a typical upper-class golf course. Plenty of concessions would have to be made. But so what? Let the fairways get a bit wild. Let the grass go thirsty. Allow the greens to play a little slow. Set up a lemonade stand in the parking lot (I kid). Do whatever it takes, but find a way to do it. Elite course conditions are very nice to have, but they are not at all necessary to the game of golf.

My local course actually comes close to this, but I'm suspecting it has been a bit of a desperate act to try to bring in money to a money-losing organization (I could be way off base here). They have $50/month rates for afternoon golf sans-cart, all you can play. This is fantastic, but with new ownership in place this looks to be going the way of the dodo.

Does anyone share my enthusiasm here? Know of any courses like this in your area? (I know plenty of par 3 courses are built for similar reasons, and that's super, but let's face it, par 3 golf isn't the whole game.) Better yet, does anyone have any ideas for how to make something like this work?

Flexible work hours and a cheap club membership has allowed me to play nine holes every weekday for the past three years. Plateaued at bogey +- about a year ago but I continue to enjoy the challenge and exercise.

Joined a local golf course the other day. I added up all the rounds I've paid for in the last 3 months and it's a bargain.

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

I have just signed up with a 9-hole evening group. They meet on Tuesday's and get in 9-holes for $9 starting at 5pm. Sure, this only works in late-spring and summer, but with daylight lasting until 8pm it works out fairly well.

I'm sure I could join another group that plays on Mondays and Thursdays and end up with 9-holes 3 days a week if I wanted to.

Evening Golf is the BEST way to get in cheap golf on established courses.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

Note: This thread is 5854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!