IGNORED

Dent on My Driver?

Note: This thread is 4738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i called nike today and damange to the bottom or crown cant be caused by "normal play" so is not covered

In My Bag:

Sumo2 5900
Sasquatch 3w
Slingshot 2 Hybrid Slingshot 4-AW CG10 52* Forged 58* Studio Select Newport 1.5

wow, from the pics its kinda discouraging to get that kind of a driver. I've been "abusing" my driver with the same hits (topping, turf smashing etc.) but I've yet to get those kinds of defects.

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

well went to a driving range today and seems to be no affect on the club from the dent, thanks for all the help and input

In My Bag:

Sumo2 5900
Sasquatch 3w

that really is a little suspect that people are getting the same dent, location about the same size... and really from topping a ball? That's gotta be real tough to dent it like that from topping the ball..it looks like you hit downward with the club smack into the ball.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

off topic but DJYoshi i remember you at the rutgers games...i am season ticket holder, lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

that really is a little suspect that people are getting the same dent, location about the same size... and really from topping a ball? That's gotta be real tough to dent it like that from topping the ball..it looks like you hit downward with the club smack into the ball.

Actually, I think it's more of a collapse or buckling than a dent. I think it's caused not so much from topping the ball but actually from catching the ball toward the bottom board near the hosel. I would think the club head would be very weak there.

This is just what seemed to cause it when I got my "dent".

i talked to a guy today and he said the most common way of gettin this dent is when someone swings and hits behind the ball in the dirt(so are really really bad swing) and on the up swing the ball hits the bottom

In My Bag:

Sumo2 5900
Sasquatch 3w

• 3 weeks later...
I just got a new set of woods yesterday. I went out golfing with my 14 year old nephew and on the first hole, I decided to hit the 3 wood and let him hit the driver. Well he "topped" it by which I mean he literally hit the bottom of the club on top of the ball. I didn't notice until a couple of holes later that he had dented the club, it looks just like the picture earlier in this thread except there is a small crack as well. I hadn't even hit the club yet!! I did hit it a few times and it seemed to perform ok, but I plan on filling the dent with epoxy so it seals the crack.

I just got a new set of woods yesterday. I went out golfing with my 14 year old nephew and on the first hole, I decided to hit the 3 wood and let him hit the driver. Well he "topped" it by which I mean he literally hit the bottom of the club on top of the ball. I didn't notice until a couple of holes later that he had dented the club, it looks just like the picture earlier in this thread except there is a small crack as well. I hadn't even hit the club yet!! I did hit it a few times and it seemed to perform ok, but I plan on filling the dent with epoxy so it seals the crack.

I'd be so angry with a Dent in the driver, I would honestly cry, I couldn't stand to see such a nice looking club with a big ugly dent in it.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

• 2 years later...

This guy is not your friend.  I unfortunately wouldn't be able to handle this matter as easily as you appear to be handling it.  I really would let him know in no uncertain terms what an a--hole he is.  Probably would not limit my exchange with him to just verfbal, but would pound him.  Take a tire iron with you.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck and the lame friend.

It's good to hear that you (and others) haven't noticed a difference in the play of the driver, but I'd be very surprised if this dent isn't affecting the clubs performance to some degree.  Remember that at impact, these clubs deform a considerable amount.  Engineers use FEA to optimize the thickness of the material around the clubface to provide consistent trampoline effect and ball speed for center and off-center hits.  This dent will change the stresses within the titanium and likely change the clubs behavior as it deforms.  It may not cost your distance now, but these new stresses are what is causing the above poster's club to crack.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Note: This thread is 4738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!