IGNORED

How is Nike keeping Tiger happy?

SwinginCaveman
Note: This thread is 5801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't seen Nike release a set of blades in a long time, or anything that Tiger would use for that matter. He also uses a ping putter, so that leaves the driver, woods and wedges with a Nike logo. Most tour staff members hit EVERYTHING from that company. Is Tiger above all of that or can Nike just not make a blade that's up to his standards?

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

I think he uses a Titleist putter actually, and I think its because of sentimental reasons, but i could be wrong. Nike is the biggest athlete sponsor out there. Im sure they can make Tiger happy somehow with endorsements, mula, and equipment. As long as the equipment is still allowing him to win tourneys and stay at the worlds #1, I think Nike is just as good as the rest of em.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I haven't seen Nike release a set of blades in a long time, or anything that Tiger would use for that matter. He also uses a ping putter, so that leaves the driver, woods and wedges with a Nike logo. Most tour staff members hit EVERYTHING from that company. Is Tiger above all of that or can Nike just not make a blade that's up to his standards?

On a quick side note, Tiger's putter is a Scotty Cameron with a Ping Grip.

I think you might be confused on the Nike Blades as well. Nike has a set of forged blades that many tour players have been using for the last 4 or 5years. Although Nike has not released a new set of blades for a long while, look at the number of players still using them. There can only be so much technology behind a muscle back blade. It is also heavily speculated (if not true) that Tiger does not even play Nike blades. They are Miura Forged Blades with a Nike logo stamped on. Tiger has never been extremely obsessed with the technology part of the game. In fact, he's been known to be stubborn when it comes to changing clubs. A recent golf week article showed that Tiger is third to last in driving efficiency (ratio of ball speed to distance). This can be atrributed to him being more concerned with feel than launch, spn, etc. Although the woods may not be the best of the best in many people's eyes, they are sufficient enough for him. O yeah, he gets pretty decent money from Nike too.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Tiger's deal is Tiger's deal. I didn't get to proofread it but it apparently gives him enough latitude for the Titleist putter (that was a never-ending thread itself).

He wouldn't stick with Nike if they weren't making clubs that suited him. His clubs "probably" aren't exactly like the ones on display in Dick's. Nike could afford a full-time engineer dedicated to Tiger. I liked Paul Goydos take on it. You may remember his Long Beach State ball cap. He doesn't have any equipment deals. He said that nobody will pay him what he would lose by having to play stuff he doesn't want in his bag. I guess he's not Tiger.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

He does use a titlist putter. A really old studio style, if I remember. He uses a pingman grip i use on my putters. You can get them just about anywhere for 10-15 bucks. Nike does sell the irons tiger uses, but I think they only make them for him, so they only come with his specs. So if you like super-extra stiff shafts on your muscleback irons, give nike a call. They'll only run you about 600 if i remember the article I read.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Just because they haven't released a set of blades to the general market doesn't mean they haven't released them for Tiger Woods. They'll keep him happy... if he becomes unhappy with his clubs I imagine they'll do whatever he says. That and pay him truck loads of money.

Didn't they just steal, uhhh, make Nike blades for him to mirror his old Titleist or Mizuno's?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Lots of players will be sponsored by one company and use a different putter. Used to be even more frequent with a player being sponsored by Company A for irons, but uses other companies wedges and woods.

Tigers irons are pretty much Nike knock offs of his old Titleist blades. They save the cast for each iron, catalogue it, whole process for his stuff.

So pretty much, Nike gives Tiger a ton of cash, and they have a custom shop where they build the exact iron he wants. What's the problem, how could he not be happy?

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Didn't they just steal, uhhh, make Nike blades for him to mirror his old Titleist?

Yeah, they just replicated the Titleists.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Yeah, they just replicated the Titleists.

...that were replicas of his MP-29's, or so the speculation goes.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

I'm not necessarily knocking Nike for how they go about business with him, I'm just surprised that they aren't cashing in on something like a set of blades with the advertising "The same blade used by the world's #1." I figured in this day and age, 4 or 5 years is enough to make most anything obsolete. It seems like companies constantly come out with new technology, most of which might be propoganda to sell product, but it's technology nonetheless.

I'm sure Nike takes care of Tiger, It just strikes me as strange that they aren't releasing every club they can with Tiger's name on it. People eat up his apparel line and you can't get a Tiger Woods polo or mock for less than $80. I know it doesn't cost nearly that much to make, but they know people will buy them so why not inflate a bit?

Also, I agree that he's extremely picky and stubborn when it comes to changing clubs, but I'm sure there are a lot of tweaks that go into those clubs. He changed swing coaches last year which could have easily translated into many different approaches to his swing, thus necessitating a change in his clubs.

I just have a feeling if Nike used Tiger's name to market irons, even if they're not Tiger spec (like the One Platinum) people are going to buy them and the more products that sell with Tiger's name on them, the more money for both parties.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

The thread should read :' How is Tiger keeping Nike happy?'

Im still waiting for the day when Tiger dumps Nike or vice versa.

If Tiger brought out his own range of clubs and apparel he could become a billionaire a couple of times over at least.

The thread should read :' How is Tiger keeping Nike happy?'

Im really surprised he hasnt already. He doesnt need Nike's money. All the great ones had their own lines, Hogan, Nicklaus, etc.. But put in that position i too would just rather concentrate on golf and let the manufactuer handle all my eqiupment stuff.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Does anyone even think that Nike actually made any of Tiger's clubs? I imagine they are probably Miura forgings (or something similar) with a Nike stamp.

His putter is a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 GSS with a Ping "Black-out" grip. He has had it in his bag for almost 10 years I beleive.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

Who knows, I know they sell them as collectors items in his exact specs.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Im sure that Nike werent too impressed when Tiger decided not to use the Nike Sumo2 driver. That has to be the first nail in his coffin.

I know that Nike is paying Tiger 10 of millions of dollars per year but im surprised that hed want to be associated with a company that makes sub standard golf gear. I beleive that he should have stayed with Titleist.

Sub Standard gear by what standards, I hate it when people come up with ridiculous statements like that!

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Callaway have poorer mark up prices than Nike, so are they inferior equipment?

And "what" is Nike gear?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 5801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!