IGNORED

Rules Questions - Hazards

MrSandman
Note: This thread is 5782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yellow v. Red Stakes?

Red = 2 club lengths from point it entered.
Yellow = drop at the point it entered, as far back as you want between the drop point and the hole; or go back to original position with a stroke penalty (like OB)

Any other difference?

Questions about drop areas:

1. Are drop areas optional? (example: There is a designated drop area for a water hazard, but you would prefer to take the line where the ball entered, may you do so?)

2. There is a course in New York called Lido. The 16th Hole has a hazard that is reachable for a long hitter off the tee, but really comes into play for the second shot. There is a drop area across the pond should your ball go into that hazard. There is nothing on the scorecard indicating that the drop area is for non-tee shots only.

So if I bomb my tee shot into the hazard, am I entitled to use the drop area across the pond?

Here is a picture of the hole:

16th hole.

Ideally, you want to place your tee shot on one of the two blue dots to the left or right of the water indent.
The Drop Area is located where the 129 is across the pond.

If I hit my tee shot in that water, can I take a drop where the 129 yd Drop Area is, or do I have to take a drop where the ball entered the hazard?

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Yellow v. Red Stakes?

The two have the same options in rule 26-1a (stroke and distance) and 26-1b (go back on a line). Lateral hazards then have the additional option of 26-1c (two club lengths)
Questions about drop areas: 1. Are drop areas optional? (example: There is a designated drop area for a water hazard, but you would prefer to take the line where the ball entered, may you do so?)

See the local rules for the course. Drop areas are usually optional but I have also seen courses where the DZ is mandatory. Stroke and distance is always an option, though.
2. There is a course in New York called Lido. The 16th Hole has a hazard that is reachable for a long hitter off the tee, but really comes into play for the second shot. There is a drop area across the pond should your ball go into that hazard. There is nothing on the scorecard indicating that the drop area is for non-tee shots only. So if I bomb my tee shot into the hazard, am I entitled to use the drop area across the pond Ideally, you want to place your tee shot on one of the two blue dots to the left or right of the water indent. The Drop Area is located where the 129 is across the pond. If I hit my tee shot in that water, can I take a drop where the 129 yd Drop Area is, or do I have to take a drop where the ball entered the hazard?

It seems reasonable that the local rule would not differentiate because of where you took your stroke from. If the DZ is for that hazard, then you may use it regardless of how your ball ended up the hazard. You may like to read decision 33-8/2

You may like to read decision 33-8/2

link?

thanks also, when you say "go back on a line", it is a line from the point it entered to the hole, not the line of your original shot and the point it entered?

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

also, when you say "go back on a line", it is a line from the point it entered to the hole, not the line of your original shot and the point it entered?

That is correct.

As Martin said, local rules differ for drop zones. For example, a course I play has an island green, tee shot over water, water left and right of green. There is a designated drop zone on the far side of the green, but a drop there is only allowed if your ball first lands on the far side of the water (on the green or in that area) and then rolls/bounces into the water. I.e., you can't drop there if your tee shot goes into the water fronting the green without hitting land on the other side first. So, another reason to check the local rules for that drop zone on the 16th hole at Lido.

Bill

Shouldn't the local rules be printed on the scorecard? And absent any such local rule on the scorecard, then one can assume that the drop zone is valid for any shot in the water?

I've looked at the scorecard up and down and haven't found that local rule. I was actually surprised when somebody told me that rule at first, but I haven't been able to find anything that says drop zone does not include tee shots.

What's in the bag

Shouldn't the local rules be printed on the scorecard? And absent any such local rule on the scorecard, then one can assume that the drop zone is valid for any shot in the water?

There may be times when there just isn't room on the card for all of the special conditions for a course. In such a case they may also have a hard card available, but it's always a good idea to ask in the pro shop if there are any special considerations, as there may be temporary abnormal conditions that exist on the course. Also, any drop areas should be clearly marked and designated, especially if you are playing in any sort of competition. For a properly run tournament, there should be hard card for the tournament format and to define any conditions for the competition, including local rules and drop areas that are in effect for the tournament.

My home course is a public course, but it is freshly marked for all Men's Club tournaments, as well as any local high school or junior tournaments or qualifiers. We try to keep the paint lines pretty fresh all season long.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!