IGNORED

Anyone Reach Scratch Past the Age of 30?

Chris5573
Note: This thread is 1768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 32 and achieved my + HDCP last year. I do work at a club though and get to play/practice as much as I want. I like that quote by Payne. I believe I have at least 12 years of really great golf left. Then plenty more years of good golf.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Im 16 but already having severe doubts for scratch. I can't imagine working to get to scratch. This year due to lack of practise my handicap won't drop.

Practice isn't necessarily the answer. I was on the golf team back when I was in high school (like you are now), and I practiced and played every day, but that didn't make my golf game significantly better. Back then I wasn't as knowledgable about golf mechanics (and the science behind them). My swing was more automatic (not requiring thought) back then, but it is more stable and consistent now. As your knowledge improves, and you become more comfortable shooting lower scores on a regular basis your index will be more likely to drop.

You guys are right, I always think about handicap as a number that should be going down dramatically from hearing all these stories. I keep thinking that it should go down 1 stroke every time I shoot well, although I dont expect that I keep thinking thats what the number means.

It only takes small things to drop your index. With a few good rounds you could see it significantly drop. Mine for example will officially become a 0.1 as of July 1st due to a couple rounds in the 60's I've shot in June.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Practice isn't necessarily the answer. I was on the golf team back when I was in high school (like you are now), and I practiced and played every day, but that didn't make my golf game significantly better. Back then I wasn't as knowledgable about golf mechanics (and the science behind them). My swing was more automatic (not requiring thought) back then, but it is more stable and consistent now. As your knowledge improves, and you become more comfortable shooting lower scores on a regular basis your index will be more likely to drop.

I noticed it was at 2.7 or so a couple days ago, but because you shot those sixties it dropped 2.6 strokes? Thats amazing! What were the differentials on those scores? It's taken me 3 months to drop from 8.1 to 7.4 :-S My last 5 round indexes have been: 7.6, 7.5, 7.6, 8.1, 8.5, 8.2

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I am 52 now and I have been able to shoot par twice in the last yr
and a few rounds of +3 which I will take for the course I played...

so yes you should be able to, but just playing or practicing 2 times a week isn't going to cut it,
you better plan on at least 3 or more sessions a week to stay in the hunt.
Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

Played in my mid 20's...not bad didn't keep a hcap.

Missed 12 years due to marriage, now divorced and back to a 6 in a year.

My goal is scratch in 2 years, at age 40

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I noticed it was at 2.7 or so a couple days ago, but because you shot those sixties it dropped 2.6 strokes? Thats amazing!

Yes, its still a 2.7 at the time of typing this, but since tomorrow is the last day of the month, and I have no plans to play tomorrow it will remain the same come the start of July (I changed it over now, so I wouldn't forget to in July). The 66 and 69 actually dropped it to a 0.0, but then I knocked a 71 off and replaced it with a 76 I shot on Saturday, and that bumped it back up a .1 .

What were the differentials on those scores? It's taken me 3 months to drop from 8.1 to 7.4 :-S My last 5 round indexes have been: 7.6, 7.5, 7.6, 8.1, 8.5, 8.2

The 66 calculated in at a -4.5 while the 69 was a -1.8 .

In my bag:

Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Yes, its still a 2.7 at the time of typing this, but since tomorrow is the last day of the month, and I have no plans to play tomorrow it will remain the same come the start of July (I changed it over now, so I wouldn't forget to in July). The 66 and 69 actually dropped it to a 0.0, but then I knocked a 71 off and replaced it with a 76 I shot on Saturday, and that bumped it back up a .1 .

That is awsome. I've never shot that much below my handicap before. I have a question though. Does playing 9 holes seem to reduce your handicap quicker? I've shot 4-5 35's this year which are all Even Par, I entered them on the courses that I shot them on, but did not enter the back 9 score (out of curiousity) My handicap went to a 4.5, was this because the scores were added together to make 2 scores of 70?

In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Does playing 9 holes seem to reduce your handicap quicker? I've shot 4-5 35's this year which are all Even Par, I entered them on the courses that I shot them on, but did not enter the back 9 score (out of curiousity) My handicap went to a 4.5, was this because the scores were added together to make 2 scores of 70?

I've only posted 9 hole scores a total of 12 times (none since February), and either it isn't factoring them in, or more 9 hole rounds may be required before it is factored where it will give me a 9 hole handicap index (AKA: Handicap Index (N). Its worth noting that 9 hole handicaps are calculated seperate from 18 hole handicaps, and not combined. (In the 9 hole handicap page it lists me as: Current Index: 0.0 , Low Handicap Index: 0.0, Trend Index (-1.9+-1.9+-.2+.1)/4 * .96 = -1.0 ).

The USGA website has facts about 9 hole handicaps and their calculation, but I don't see anything there that fits with your question. http://www.usga.org/playing/handicap...ection_10.html

In my bag:

It is starting to sound like if someone wants to reach scratch, it's all about having the time available to dedicate to practicing. Would you all say that it is pretty unlikely to make it if you can only practice 2 times per week after work, and play on the weekends? That would be 4 days a week of playing/practicing. Let me ask this...do you guys think that hitting balls into a net in your backyard is any kind of a help, or is it non-productive?

It is starting to sound like if someone wants to reach scratch, it's all about having the time available to dedicate to practicing. Would you all say that it is pretty unlikely to make it if you can only practice 2 times per week after work, and play on the weekends? That would be 4 days a week of playing/practicing. Let me ask this...do you guys think that hitting balls into a net in your backyard is any kind of a help, or is it non-productive?

As I mentioned previously it doesn't matter how much you practice if you're not practicing the correct thing(s). I would say practicing two times per week is fine, and I believe David Leadbetter said practicing two times a week is enough to maintain your game in his

Postive Practice book. The more you play the less necessary practice should be to maintain your game. I practice very little these days, and most people would consider what I do more warming up than practicing (hitting balls for ~10 minutes once a week before playing a round, and putting for 5-10 minutes before going out to play). Unless you're using a video camera to record, check, and change your swing you'll probably not see much benefit from hitting in a net (again it may help to maintain your swing, but not necessarily do anything to improve it). Hitting off a mat, and not seeing your ball flight provide little worthwhile feedback. Many people tend to loose focus of their goals when beating balls. If you are going to practice at home I think you may see more benefit from looking at your setup and swing positions in a mirror or window reflection. With that you will have confirmation that you are getting into the positions you think you are, and you can see if changes in your positions make a significant difference.
  • Like 1

In my bag:

With 4 times a week of play, you can do it. Right now I only get to play once a week because of budget, and my loss of membership, and my handicap is still going down. Like Avid Golfer said, it's not all about practicing, the biggest practice is being on the course.

Hitting into a net is just like going to the driving range, although you cant see the flight of the ball, you can have more feel for the club, and just hitting the ball and making solid contact helps, using a net is where you can really look into your swing mechanics, stop your swing at different points, and maybe compare it to the pros' or check if there is something that doesn't look/feel right.
In My Bag

I've only posted 9 hole scores a total of 12 times (none since February), and either it isn't factoring them in, or more 9 hole rounds may be required before it is factored where it will give me a 9 hole handicap index (AKA: Handicap Index (N). Its worth noting that 9 hole handicaps are calculated seperate from 18 hole handicaps, and not combined. (In the 9 hole handicap page it lists me as: Current Index: 0.0 , Low Handicap Index: 0.0, Trend Index (-1.9+-1.9+-.2+.1)/4 * .96 = -1.0 ).

Thats dumb, that makes it so easy to lower my handicap then, although I don't want to do it like that, playing 5 good nine hole rounds can lower it a couple of strokes, that doesn't seem right. So basically I just go out, play 9 holes and do well.. and it lowers? Thats cheap.

In My Bag

I could see it being done...

I'm 23, out of college a year and working full time. I typically only get out for 18 on saturday or sunday and a quick 9 during the week after work. I could see it being done in the right climate, I'll never get to scratch not because I dont get to play enough during the week but theres that stretch from November to March where there is a foot of snow on the ground

I find myself shooting a 95 every March and having to reteach myself how to play golf

If I lived in Florida or any other warm climate it could be done

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Does scratching your head while looking for your ball in the rough count? If so, I reached scratch a loooong time ago.

But seriously, I think anything is possible with enough time and effort.

joining a club really helps, if I was a member somewhere around my house I could see it being done eventually

the key is just getting out on the course and playing a few holes a week, hitting into a net has its uses but astroturf is astroturf and nothing beats the actual lies you'll gain knowlegde from when you're out on the course

I have to dodge out of work to squeeze out 9 and I cant afford to pay for 9 and only get three holes in, the money adds up that way

so private membership and access to a grass range there and bang it can be done

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, hoopedbhoys67 said:

@Chris5573 I know it's been over 10 years, but seriously intrigued to know if you ever reached that scratch handicap? ha 

I doubt we’ll find out.  He hasn’t visited this site in over 8 years...  ;-)

Welcome though.  Hope you will stick around!   :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably not common, but anyone can do it if you have ever hit a ball straight with and iron and driver, or made a putt, or hit a good chip...you can be scratch you just have to have the time to develop the ability to do it on command

Note: This thread is 1768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!