IGNORED

LPGA State Farm Classic [Spoilers]

Harry Longshanks
Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know she is "just a kid" but when you fancy yourself a professional and accept millions of dollars in endorsement deals, you think something like signing a scorecard would not be overlooked.

Exactly. It's nice to know there are a lot of us on this topic that think it's a dumb rule. Again, don't confuse that with should Wie have been penalized. She should have, but it's a ridiculous rule.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
That said, it is a dumb rule. She signed the card and attested to an accurate score, but

I still don't see it that way. It's about eliminating the grey areas. You have to define when a scorecard is "turned in," and on the pro circuit, it's when you leave the scoring area.

To say or do anything else would be to introduce a grey area. And it's not like it's a hard rule to follow. As to whether it's a "dumb" rule or not, well, perhaps your boss should tell you he thinks it's dumb to have to sign your paychecks. Again, see the earlier, lengthier post (by someone else, not me) for my thoughts on the act of signing your card. Plus, Wie could have signed her card on the first tee and it'd have been fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As to whether it's a "dumb" rule or not, well, perhaps your boss should tell you he thinks it's dumb to have to sign your paychecks.

We stand helpless before your ability to see equivalence where there is none. Brilliant parallel.

SubPar

i would sign my scorecard before i got to the first tee

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Who here thinks that the rule should be changed because the penalty does not seem to match the infraction. I think a simple change to rule 6-6 could solve this. Below is the original text:

6-6 b. – Signing and Returning Score Card
After completion of the round, the competitor should check his score for each hole and settle any doubtful points with the Committee. He must ensure that the marker or markers have signed the score card, sign the score card himself and return it to the Committee as soon as possible.

3. Returning Score Card
Rule 6-6, page 31. (A player is deemed to have returned her score card to the Committee when she leaves the roped area of the scoring tent or leaves the scoring trailer).

I think the rule should be changed to indicate that a returned score card should be constructively deemed as signed by the player.

Once the player has reviewed the scorecard and returned it, I think that it is an indication that the player believes and is attesting to the fact that everything on the scorecard is accurate and correct. A signature really does not do anything extra in my view.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

• Administrator
"Constructively deemed"? Effectively, a player would never have to sign a card at all, ever?

Agreed. Especially since you could encounter a situation where your opponent turns your scorecard in without your knowledge. That'd be lovely huh?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
Just heard an interview with David Fehrety on the radio. He also thinks it's silly for players at the professional level to be responsible for their scorecard.

He said that there are now scorers on every hole that ARE WATCHING FOR STROKES TAKEN on the course by each competitor.

He works in the business and knows it better than any of us. He even thinks it's stupid.

It just seems that the penalty does not match the crime. Being disqualified for signing a scorecard after you leave the scoring area seems a little harsh.

And if someone wanted to cheat, I do not think a cheater will feel bad signing a scorecard that is wrong.

And if someone wanted to cheat and turn in your scorecard, they would simply sign your name and turn it in. A signature is not much of a deterrent for a cheater.

However, I do agree with the rules committee's decision. That seems to be the way the rule reads so their decision was the right one. IMO the rule should be changed.
In my bag:

Come on guys, is it so difficult to remember to sign your score?
Have you ever seen Paula, Annika, or Morgan, doing so dumb errors.
Last but not least Michelle should start to use her own brain, and think about golf.

driver: FT-i
woods: x-woods 5
hybrid: 585H 24°
irons: AP2 4-PW
wedges: X- tour 52° 56° 60°putter: kastern B60balls: tours ix or pro v1x

Come on guys, is it so difficult to remember to sign your score?

Yes, just last year Natlie Gulbis forgot to sign her score card and Paula added up her strokes incorrectly. Both were disqualified.

In my bag:

• Administrator
Yes, just last year Natlie Gulbis forgot to sign her score card and Paula added up her strokes incorrectly. Both were disqualified.

You can't get disqualified for adding incorrectly. The committee is responsible for adding your score.

This thread's run its course.

Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!