IGNORED

The Purpose of Grooves

iacas
Note: This thread is 6946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

There are two stances on this:

1. Grooves help to impart spin
  2. Grooves channel away water, mud, grass, etc.
The 98% figure I quoted on the blog is from memory, but is accurate so far as I know. However, there's a lot of misinformation out there, including information from TaylorMade and Pat Ryan . Here's more evidence to support the theory that grooves act as channels for debris and even goes a bit burther:
This means that the face roughness, or coefficient of friction, does not contribute to the backspin produced during stage 1 but contributes significantly to the forces acting against backspin in stage 2.* So, a rough surface, such as rough steel, retards the overall spin of the ball more than a lower friction material such as Teflon.* Therefore the smoother surface generates greater backspin.

The Ping irons of a decade or so ago weren't so great at imparting spin because they could "grab" the ball more, but because they were more efficient channelers of mud, grass, and water.

What do you think (and what sources on the Web can you find) to back up your theory? Either way, I know to keep my grooves clean.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
It really helps with spin. that is why I use the Izzo Groove Docter and my grooves are super sharp. yeah they cut up the ball like a knife but I can spin them like tour grooves.
WITB
R7 TP 10.5* Fujikura SIX
R580 Fairway Fujikura Vista Pro 60
200 Steel 5 wood Fujikura Tour PLatform 27.3
Steelhead X-14 Pro series 52* Black Nickle Vokey 8* Bounce56* Black Nickle Vokey 10* Bounce Scotty Cameron Newport Beach 33"Pro V1 #8

• 2 months later...
I know this is an old thread but I just got here. Did you read the whole article? It says:

"Understand, this is only true of clubs lofted at 20 degrees or under."

and

"At higher lofts, such as over 40 degrees, the nature of the contact period changes. The ball experiences only the first stage of contact, except this time the increased loft means that the ball never sticks to the club face. Instead, it only experiences a sliding up the club surface. This means that the downward frictional force exerted on the ball is proportional to the surface roughness; a rougher club face creates a larger downward force, resulting in increased backspin."

TaylorMade r7 Quad Driver 9.5 Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade RAC OS Graphite Stiff
TaylorMade RAC Black Wedges 52, 56, 60 degrees
TaylorMade TPA VII PutterMaxfli Black MaxHome Course

• Administrator
Yes, but "rougher" doesn't necessarily mean "grooves."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 6946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!