IGNORED

Will GPS still work if company goes under?

Note: This thread is 5704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm about to buy the iGolf Neo because the price is right, and it will do everything I am looking for. I do not need all of the bells and whistles that a $400 unit has, and considering a 1 year subscription includes 100 courses that you can keep, I think it will work for me. I figure that for a 1 time fee of under $200, I'll be set for a very long time. My concern is that if iGolf does go under, will the GPS unit still work? The satellites will still be there, and the unit will still have the GPS receiver in it. I don't have any reason to believe iGolf will go under, but they certainly do not not have the sponsors or push that Skycaddie, GolfLogix and uPro have.
I don't know too much about GPS units, if iGolf does go under but I have all of the files I want saved onto my computer, will it still work?

formerly tmevoli

Burner 9.5
R5 FW
Halo 2i CG4 3i - Pw Eye 2 SW OZ putteriGolf Neowhatever ball i find

The website says "The iGolf Neo is ready to use out of the box without the requirement of any additional software or hardware if you want to map your own golf course. However a computer and internet access are required if you would like to download pre-mapped golf courses from iGolf.com. In order to download pre-mapped golf courses you will need a Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me or Windows 98* computer with a USB port. You will also need a subscription to iGolf.com ."

I don't know why you have to have a subscription for it to work, but the one I got says basically the same thing. I mean, the courses are on the computer so why can't it work once the subscription runs out. GolfLogix says the only one that will work is the one free one that comes with the unit.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I don't know too much about GPS units, if iGolf does go under but I have all of the files I want saved onto my computer, will it still work?

iGolf = yes. Because they let you save the data files on your computer. Of course, if the course changes, you will have to re-map it yourself.

Also, any unit that lets you map your own course. (But some units can only hold a few at a time.) The satellites are government owned, not privately.

I never thought about that....

definetly check into that before I purchase one, that would really suck.....

Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

Well, FYI:

I unplugged my network cable and tried to load courses onto the GolfLogix. It worked fine. I was wondering if it was maybe going to some external server and when I was saving courses it was just for ease of loading.

Now, I don't know because I am not even one month into my subscription but I would venture to say because of this experiment that it would indeed work once the subscription expires. However you couldn't get any updated courses, and nearly every time I plug it in, it downloads an updated version of a course I have. Now, note that is "a course I have," not a course I play often. Although my main course has been updated twice since I have had the unit. I actually have close to 100 courses downloaded; every one I can ever remember playing! Also, some that I want to play. Just because.

So, even though I think it will still work, it's only 30 bucks a year. So I'll keep the subscription. However, I'll make sure I am updated before the year is out and let it lapse for a while before I renew, just because I am curious as to what will happen!
My Equipment:

The website says "The iGolf Neo is ready to use out of the box without the requirement of any additional software or hardware if you want to map your own golf course. However a computer and internet access are required if you would like to download pre-mapped golf courses from iGolf.com. In order to download pre-mapped golf courses you will need a Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me or Windows 98* computer with a USB port.

Smalls,

The iGolf Neo requires the subscription only for downloading pre-mapped courses. I didn't find any specific text on it, but I am assuming that the Neo is like the iGolf Caddie, and you can save the files on your computer (major benefit.) EDIT: I just saw your second post as well. When I was researching GPS units, I contacted GolfLogix and they confirmed that if you do not renew the subscription, your unit will function only for the 1 free course. EDIT #2 Found the text confirming that course data files are saved on the owner's computer locally:
Where are the files I downloaded from iGolf.com? When downloading files from iGolf.com, you are asked to specify the location to save the golf course file. Unless otherwise instructed, you should always save iGolf files directly into the iGolf folder on your Desktop. You may save the files to any folder, but you must then change the iGolf Neo Sync settings to look for the files in your special folder. We recommend you always save to C:\iGolf and not adjust the default settings for iGolf Neo Sync.

The iGolf Neo requires the subscription only for downloading pre-mapped courses.

Yes, exactly, and look at my post before your last one (my "experiment!"). The OP wanted to only keep the subscription for a year. But what if after a year he was going on vacation somewhere and wanted to have the course on his GPS? It would be nice to have a pre-mapped version that he could only get with a subscription because it would n't be too likely he could map it on his own in that situation. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think anything's wrong with trying to do it on the cheap. But like I said (and believe me, I am a cheap sucker) I'll keep my subscription going. EDIT (MY #1) I just saw your edits! EDIT (MY #2) We need to collaborate before we start posting! EDIT (MY #3) It never asked me where to download my courses to but I can get to them without being connected to the network.
My Equipment:

So, even though I think it will still work, it's only 30 bucks a year. So I'll keep the subscription. However, I'll make sure I am updated before the year is out and let it lapse for a while before I renew, just because I am curious as to what will happen!

Good point, for about the price of a round I could keep it current. I usually play a rotation of about 10 to 15 courses anyway, and in the several years I've been playing them, the only thing that's changed is a few trees, and maybe a handful of bunkers. In each case, I've known about it before teeing off. Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll pull the trigger and post a review Saturday night. I figure it will work as long as I have the files, and I can update them if they change. I'm sure in two to three years' time the better ones will be a little cheaper.

formerly tmevoli

Burner 9.5
R5 FW

But what if after a year he was going on vacation somewhere and wanted to have the course on his GPS?

With the iGolf models, he could either renew the subscription just before he left on vacation (in other words, no need to keep the subscription active until he actually needed it for another pre-mapped course), or he could try to find someone with a mapped course file, who could email it to him.

It's also worth noting that the Sonocaddie V2s come with a cord that lets you connect directly to another V2 unit to get a course from that other unit. Of course, Sonocaddie doesn't charge for V2 downloads, so that's not a huge deal. If they ever went under, I would hope they would make their database available.

Good point. I've never looked for a golflogix forum but I figure golf gps forums are fairly easy to find. And yeah, if he couldn't find someone he could renew the subscription as you said.

I cannot find on the site what the subscription costs though, does anyone know?
My Equipment:

Good point. I've never looked for a golflogix forum but I figure golf gps forums are fairly easy to find. And yeah, if he couldn't find someone he could renew the subscription as you said.

$35 a year, and you can use it on all the iGolf units you have. To extrapolate, if four guys went in together and each pitched in $9, they could each get 25 courses, cutting their revenue dramatically. This system has a lot of potential to be abused, which could contribute to the demise of a company.

formerly tmevoli

Burner 9.5
R5 FW

Note: This thread is 5704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!