IGNORED

Golf Snobbery

Chief Broom
Note: This thread is 2297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never heard of tennis snobs or bowling snobs.

Bowling and tennis don't have this problem because every player gets his or her own designated and segregated area to play - a lane or a court.

Oh, and ... I know bowling and tennis snobs! Heck yeah! They won't even consider playing with (or sharing a lane or court) an amateur or non-athlete.

When I was a kid there was an unwritten rule that Monday was "ladies day" and most men stayed away from the course because of what was obviously going to be a slow day.

Where do you play?! I'd LOVE to go where there's no men on the course, with their snide little comments!

I suppose we're all looking for some sort of 'golfing nirvana'; a course devoid of snobs, the uncouth & the stupid.

I try not to get overly concerned about the snobs because if 'ignorance is bliss' they're obviously in a very blissful state & a bit like a sleepwalker, I don't want to snap them out of it. I just let them wander around in their own little world. The uncouth & the stupid tend to annoy me a tad more than the "snobius maximus"; although by definition I think to qualify as a snob one would need a large measure of stupidity as well.

Unfortunately, golfing nirvana doesn't exist, so most of us just look for a pleasant day out. It seems that the same ingredients make for a pleasant round; good pace of play, courtesy, plug marks/divots repaired, no fivesomes & not being hit up on. Have I missed anything?

Just by stating it you imply that it's OK for muni's because they are just 2nd class golfers (and/or citizens) anyway.

True, but not with the ire you are implying. I won't revamp the whole entire "attire" thread, but the average quality of golfer and golf citizen at the munis near ME is significanlty lower than at other quality public courses or private clubs.

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I think that in a lot of ways there is a lot of snobbery in golf. Just look at all the people on here who look down their noses at those who wear jeans on a golf course.
Personally, I couldnt care less how someone is dressed or how expensive the clubs in their bag are.
To me, golf is all about getting outside and enjoying the game. Its not some sort of, "Im richer than you" fashion show.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think that in a lot of ways there is a lot of snobbery in golf. Just look at all the people on here who look down their noses at those who wear jeans on a golf course.

I agree completely. I don't care what someone is wearing, as long as we have a great time on the course, and they have good etiquette.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I don't care what someone is wearing, as long as we have a great time on the course,

Agree completely

True, but not with the ire you are implying. I won't revamp the whole entire "attire" thread, but the average quality of golfer and golf citizen at the munis near ME is significanlty lower than at other quality public courses or private clubs.

We have munis here in the Denver area which are among the best courses in the state. Courses like Murphy Creek which hosted the US Amateur Public Links this year, Riverdale Dunes (by Pete and Perry Dye), Breckenridge Golf Course (by Jack Nicklaus) to name a few.

My home course, while not ranked with those courses, is a mature, well maintained golf course which offers a quality round for under $50 with cart... and you can wear jeans if you want. Very few snobs, but plenty of good players... plenty of average players too. All in all a pleasant place to play, and isn't that really what it's all about?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My home course, while not ranked with those courses, is a mature, well maintained golf course which offers a quality round for under $50 with cart... and you can wear jeans if you want. Very few snobs, but plenty of good players... plenty of average players too. All in all a pleasant place to play, and isn't that really what it's all about?

I'm sure the definition of "muni" differs across the country. That said,

most CT town-run courses are inexpensive, awfully maintained, have no rangers, no starters, few ball washers, dirt tee boxes, grumpy old men in the clubhouse, etc.

Nah, I'm not going to bite. I've personally never heard someone come to a course inappropriately dressed and say, "I had no idea!"

You don't go to a wedding in booty shorts, church in a miniskirt, a funeral in a wife beater, and that's just the way some things are.

I would never call someone out to their face or treat them any differently, but there is just a certain protocol for how to dress at the course.

I played yesterday with a guy who had a bag full of great clubs, sharp slacks, and a peter miller polo shirt and he didn't hit one shot without taking a massive divot and of course he didnt repair the divot. I finally said something on the 7th hole or something and he just blew me off and called me "a little shit"

my playing partner had jeans on, and struck one pure shot after another always reparing his divots. snobbery sucks and they'll always be those people out there, its just hard to avoid it

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I don't care what someone is wearing,

(playing devil's advocate here.)

Is that actually true? You "don't care" or you are willing to overlook it? Would you care if the starter placed a single (dude) wearing a wife-beater and cut-offs with your group? Me? I'm willing to overlook it (well, I might b!tch about the wife-beater guy.) But I do care, and I do wish people would dress nicer on the course, and in life generally. I mean, c'mon, a polo from Old Navy is, what, $8.00 ? And khakis, another $8.00 ? I think how you dress, to a certain extent, show respect for the game, and for those around you. But it's not the most important thing. And neither is handicap index. Etiquette trumps them all.

Harry, the fashion term "wife-beater" hasn't crossed the Pacific yet. Are you able to fill us Aussies in?

Yeah, it hasn't traveled to Alaska either. You informed us before I posted. Harry you are correct, I worded my post poorly. I should have said that the people I play with don't need to be dressed like a tour pro, they just need to wear respectable clothes on the course. Now I do like to dress nice, I wear a nice pear of pants (from SubSeventy) and nice golf shirts, and a pair of clean shoes, but that's just how I have learned to dress. My mom always tells me dress for success.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Ribbed tank-top undershirt

FYI, the mustard stain (as shown in that picture) is strictly an optional wife-beater add-on

I should have said that the people I play with don't need to be dressed like a tour pro,

Sadly, now "dressed like a tour pro" isn't even sufficient to cover the most basic apparel requirements.

Although, I believe the phrase will soon rid itself of this notable exception and return to it's former meaning.

Sadly, now "dressed like a tour pro" isn't even sufficient to cover the most basic apparel requirements.

Hey! He doesn't have his Tour Card so he technically isn't a tour player

Here's what I play:

Harry - I was looking for that pic but couldn't find one on photobucket... The one I found was from a dude's bachelor party (gag).

Grogger...God help me but I laughed out loud!

Note: This thread is 2297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!