IGNORED

The putter or the driver? Of course both?

nutsnbolts
Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In my Edge and Atlas bag:
driver: FT-iQ 9R and Taylormade R9 460 10.5 R
wood: 5 Wood FT-iQ Neutral
hybrid(s): 3 Burner
irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

I think you need to compare the FTi to the Burner. What did you do different between them?

Here is what I have done...between the two. Burner is a regular 10.5 FTi is a regular neutral 10 Burner is obviously longer. with the burner, I have to place the tee at the toe of my left foot...to allow it to close. I also have to stand further out... With the FTi, heel or soft part, comfortable stance. I hit both square a good percentage of the time. However, the FTi is more foregiving in that manner. Definitely boosting my confidence level. I may be close to the rough but I'm on the fairway. The burner forget it, I'm punching it out, or I'm laying it up or whatever..a slice is really a slice! Opening the face or closing the face on the FTi gave me a higher degree of control. A few dog left and right which I took advantage off. The Burner, it's going to slice period. if I try to close it even more, it's going straight or if I compensate by aligning myself to the left and taking my usual grip and swing it will slice onto the fairway...but that is limited. I'm confident with my grip and slice. I apply a strong grip, relaxed, full swings, tempo (with the help of leadbetter, ) it's there. I did get hooked up to a machine and one thing that told me was that my swing speed was fast enough but on the low side. If you are saying I should be swinging faster, I'm just afraid the ball will be slicing on the previous or next fairway....

irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

Here is what I have done...between the two.

Well, some instructors would take issue with moving the ball forward to "allow more time for the club to close". This works for some people and doesn't work for others. Many people move it forward only to find that they now have to chase after the ball, or end up cutting across it through impact, imparting slice spin. Most pros move it BACK to draw the ball. Forward to fade it.

Since the burner is draw biased, and the fti neutral, I get the feeling that the ability to close the clubface is not the true problem. It's swing path, timing, or setup. Or a combination. That being said, you may just like the feel of the Fti shaft better than the burner. The burner is a very lightweight shaft, so the feel during the swing is somewhat reduced. The Fti may just fit your swing tempo better. I'm not suggesting swinging faster. Quite the opposite. I was saying swinging faster and harder will only make you slice harder. Just trying to save you a few buck and improve your swing if we can.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Well, some instructors would take issue with moving the ball forward to "allow more time for the club to close". This works for some people and doesn't work for others. Many people move it forward only to find that they now have to chase after the ball, or end up cutting across it through impact, imparting slice spin. Most pros move it BACK to draw the ball. Forward to fade it.

saving a few bucks is definitely what I would like to do which coincides to ensuring that I enjoy the course. If I'm living in the rough half the time, I don't enjoy it at all.

Tee'ng aligned to my toe does work or shall I say it works a good percentage of the time but one little thing I forget, it's over johnny. Perhaps it's my swing path? hmm but if it's my swing path then how come it's not happening to the FTi?

I feel your pain. The way I look at this is that I'm not on the PGA tour, however I do have 3 people standing quietly watching me while I drive the ball. If it goes on the fairway everyone goes "Nice Shot Lad!", if I shank it or slice it they usually mutter under their breath, sigh and say "Better luck next time". When the latter happens I have to slink off looking for a ball that is doomed. I feel lousy about it and now start stressing about my next shot.

When I putt the ball, if it goes in then I have a smile on my face, if I'm close everyone goes "That's a gimme" and if I miss badly I always say "Close enough for me", everyone chuckles and we all move on. I have found that when putting the level of stress isn't there as no one I play with really putts that well, however typically they do drive "for show".

For my money, i would get the driver, get a lesson, and then convince myself that if I could get a deal on Ebay for that sabertooth putter then its ok if I indulge myself. Hope that helps.

Bob

PS, i'm in the same boat you are in. So thanks for posting the question.

I feel your pain. The way I look at this is that I'm not on the PGA tour, however I do have 3 people standing quietly watching me while I drive the ball. If it goes on the fairway everyone goes "Nice Shot Lad!", if I shank it or slice it they usually mutter under their breath, sigh and say "Better luck next time". When the latter happens I have to slink off looking for a ball that is doomed. I feel lousy about it and now start stressing about my next shot.

You presented great examples. As stated before, I two putt my holes on average. The drive is a hit or miss with my burner. Using the FTi, "I" know I can get it on the fairway. I know that it's probably not the equipment but I can't figure out for the life of me.

How many fairways hit on average and how many putts do you take during a round will help you determine where to put your money first.

Driver
14 possible fairways, the next question is after a bad drive do you make par or double boogie?

Putter
36 putts if you two putt every green and how many 3 putts?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

How many fairways hit on average and how many putts do you take during a round will help you determine where to put your money first.

Definitely driver to purchase.

I usually 2 putt my way through. Yes, a couple 3 putts at times but that's usually having at least 1 or 2 strokes behind due to being in the rough from the start.

Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!