IGNORED

Whay are there so many adults playing the First Tee course?

Dub
Note: This thread is 5643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've taken my young son with me to my home course a couple of times but it's not always the best place for a new golfer to learn the game....too much water and a full course...pace of play is a large factor.

We typically go over to the First Tee to play....he is a member and it's a kid friendly course. Great place for him to work on his game.

Almost every time I go, though, there are groups of grown men playing. They aren't playing with their kids...nor are their kids in a group ahead or behind them....Just grown men playing.

Normally it isn't an issue but it does make my son nervous when there are folks standing near the tee box when we are teeing off. They group up and play right behind us....I choose to ignore them and let him play his game and take his time to hit the shots.

The funny thing is that there is an 18 hole muni right beside the First Tee. I can't understand why they don't go over there and let the kids learn on the six hole First Tee course.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I know what First Tee is but what's a First Tee course? A Par 3 nine hole course? If so there would be plenty of reasons adults would be one it. Maybe they are beginners. Maybe they want to squeeze in some golf in an hour and a half. Maybe they are working on their short game, especially if the tees are all grass. Maybe a combination of all three. If there is a class and some feel it should be restricted to First Tee only than the golf course needs to indicate it is booked. Just like a tournament. Talk with the sponsoring course and find out. You can also ask for them to look into changing their policy if the couse is considered open, especially if it gets enough support from others.

Is a First Tee kind of course shorter than an executive course? I know seasoned golfers like to go out and play a course like this to hone in on their short games. I've done it a few times and it's a nice change of pace from playing long courses.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

At my course its completely the opposite. Its a private course with there are more juniors than men aged 25- 40 but there are lots of women and older men

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

First Tee of Augusta course is a course owned and run buy the First Tee Program. They conduct numerous classes throughout the year. Kids 8yrs old and up join the program and attend the classes. The rules are pretty firm. The kids are expected to practice in between their weekly classes. They play at a really reduced rate.

The course is maintained in super condition, although the greens are usually a bit slow....very smooth....just slow. I suspect this is a bonus for the kids.

There are six holes and the yardages (my memory of them) from the tips are:

No 1 - par 3- 120

No 2 - par 3- 125

No 3 - par 4 - 400

No 4 - par 3 - 217

No 5 - par 5 - 500

No 6 - par 3 - 173

I think its great that the course does get play from adults with their kids...it just needs to be a place where kids can learn....not be rushed around by groups of adults, who in my opinion would be better served playing 18 hole courses.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

First Tee of Augusta course is a course owned and run buy the First Tee Program. They conduct numerous classes throughout the year. Kids 8yrs old and up join the program and attend the classes. The rules are pretty firm. The kids are expected to practice in between their weekly classes. They play at a really reduced rate.

This must be something that is still pretty rare. This thread is the first time I've ever heard of a course that was made for that program. I thought it was just a lesson program for disadvantaged kids which worked a deal with local courses to give reduced rates to the participants. I'm thinking that there aren't many such dedicated courses around yet.

As to your question, I'd tend to agree with you that adult play should generally be restricted to parents or guardians out with the kids in the program, but that might not be economically viable. When tee times are not being used, they might have to take any offers they can get. Personally, I wouldn't even care to play a 6 hole course (unless I was playing with my grand-nephews ), regardless of its condition. In 6 holes I'm just getting into my game....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Virginia Beach has a First Tee course almost exactly like this.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

You do see a bunch of adults at "The First Tee". I think you see this primarily because it's cheap and you can play the course in a short amount of time. I've always assumed it's guys tuning up their games or warming up for an up coming outing. Guys doing that probably don't want to play 18 or even 9. Besides a lot of people around here look down on the "Patch" (the muni next door). Those guys might feel better about warming up at The First Tee?

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Note: This thread is 5643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!