IGNORED

Consistent 220yrds is better than a mix of 200 - 300 yrd drives

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 5656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was out for an end of year round with a few work buddies, a mixed bag of good golfers and hackers. I had a fairly good game esp off the tee and was hitting my usual 220 - 230 drives everytime I took out the big dog. One of the other guys guys ( a golfer who could be a lot better if he knew what aspects of the game were the most important ) was hitting drives ranging between 200 - 280. I took him handy enough on all the approach shots. Afterwards in the club house I had to smile to myself when he was constantly bringing up talk of how his long hitting off 3 or 4 tees saved him from a right hiding. In no way could he understand that consistent distance is the key off the tee. ie being 100 yards from the pin when that is your killer shot is better than being 30 yrds closer when you have no 70 yrd shot. Any one else here a firm believer in driving for a predetermined distance rather than going for a max distance?

I used to be much longer than I am now; however, at that time I was about a 20 handicap. Once I stopped trying to hit the big drive and started trying to hit fairways my handcap dropped dramatically. I'm now a 10 (was as low as 8 last year when I still knew how to putt). I play with a couple guys who currently drive the ball 250-280 and are usually about 15-30 yards longer than me. But I usually hit 9-11 fairways (or more) per round and seldom lose a drive out of bounds or into trouble. They hit far fewer fairways and both are very inconsistent with scoring because of it. The one is about a 13 handicap and the other around 18. I believe both would have a lower handicap than me if they could hit 3-4 more fairways per round (or at least keep the ball in the same county). My average drives these days are around a 230+ carry, which is long enough as long as I'm not playing yardages of 6800+. I purposely hit a very high drive because I like that when the ball hits it doesn't roll out of fairway and/or into trouble - the ball on most days is just a few yards from the ball mark. I used to be obsessed with hitting ball low and letting it run, but too much 'bad' comes into play when you lose control of ball that way.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

hitting it a consistant distance is always an advantage.

hitting it 220 or 230 when you are playing longer courses in tournaments isnt though, they will greatly hamper your ability to score. You will definately be more consistant than most scorewise, but if you have an off day with your driver and say start hitting it 200, you are in deep trouble.

Once i began hitting it solidly 270-280 regularly it helped my a game a lot, those bad mishits still went 250 so I could play them. Back when i drove it 240, if i had a bad day striking it, my ball would go 220 and id be screwed.

Any of you all know those golfers who always to hit a 150 yard slice right down the middle, no matter whether its a 5 wood or a 6 iron, and they always seem to beat ya?

The game is definitely more about accuracy than distance. And you're right, playing to a wedge distance that is comfortable for you, I think, is smart strategy.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

I agree...my drives average 220 yards (range between 210 and 235) and I hit 64% of fairways. When I do miss the fairway it usually isn't OOB. I'll take that any day over the inconsistent but occassionaly long drives.

My short game is what needs improvement.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

A drive on the fairway is always going to be better than one not on it unless there is 150 yrds difference distance wise but the point I was making was if both 280 and 220 yrd drives both land on the fairway you are better to be a certain distance from the pin like 100 yrds say than 40 yrds nearer and stuck with no definite shot for that distance. When I'm on the tee box and I need the ball to go 220 - 230 to leave me aorund 90 to the front then I don't want the ball going 250 or 260,

Was just saying that for me personally if there is a weakness in my game I would rather play and develop that shot rather then play around it. Of course in competition play I go with what I know. So if I am struggling to control my Driver I want to learn to tame it. If I don't play from 40 yards very well I want to learn to play em better.

Hell, I'd be happy to get 200 yards, and 180-190 consistently, never mind 220.

Driver: Big Bertha 460 11* w/ Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 65R
Woods: Big Bertha 3 and 5 wood stock shaft, Light flex
Hybrids: None
Irons: Viper Tour 4-PW -1", 4* flat
Wedges: X-Tour 52.11*, 58.9*Putter: Classic 3 33"The Thing That Goes In The Hole (hopefully): NXT Tour"30 minutes a day keeps...

If I could only hit 220 i wouldn't be a +5.2... I average 300 (carry) I don't get a mix of 250 and 350 (unless there is a strong wind)... even then i hit roughly 4 drivers in a round if I'm lucky... don't have enough long holes to hit driver more... hell... i hit my can hit my 5-wood anywhere from 180 and 265 (on call)... If i have a 300 or so par-4 I'll hit a 60-yard cut with a 5-wood and have a full wedge in... its not a slice its a power fade lol...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
i can break 80 on most courses with 7 iron pw lw and putter and with a full set the score isnt always a huge amount better, i knock the 7 iron over 200 but i can do it all day long and of course fairways hit goes up!

plus 5.2 handicap above? is that even allowed?

A drive on the fairway is always going to be better than one not on it unless there is 150 yrds difference distance wise but the point I was making was if both 280 and 220 yrd drives both land on the fairway you are better to be a certain distance from the pin like 100 yrds say than 40 yrds nearer and stuck with no definite shot for that distance. When I'm on the tee box and I need the ball to go 220 - 230 to leave me aorund 90 to the front then I don't want the ball going 250 or 260,

Personally, I'd rather be 250-290 yards in the fairway then 220 consistently. Most par-4s I play are well over 300 yards, so being further down the fairway doesn't usually put you in an awkward position. Plus, me personally, I'd probably rather have a 40 yard chip shot then a 120 yard full wedge...but then I like chipping. Also, with the longer drive, I'm going to be going at some par-5s in two.

So, if we are talking about balls going in the fairway, I'd rather hit it further even if the distance control was not there. I've got a whole set of irons to get the ball to the green. If we are talking about hitting 220 yards and 13/18 fairways or hitting 290 and 3/18 fairways, then I'd have to lean towards hitting 220.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

I guess it depends on what tees you intend to play.

If you're always going to play the whites , then maybe 220-230 is fine.

But I can't take that and play the 7000+ yard tees that I like to play on some courses.

Even if i'm playing a shorter course i'd rather have it 50 or 60 yards from the green than 120.

DRIVER: 905r 8.5 UST V2 75 X
3 WOOD: 906f2 15 UST 85 X
HYBRID/IRON: Rapture Hybrid/3 Iron
IRONS: MX 200 Dynamic Gold X100
WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

Was just saying that for me personally if there is a weakness in my game I would rather play and develop that shot rather then play around it. Of course in competition play I go with what I know. So if I am struggling to control my Driver I want to learn to tame it. If I don't play from 40 yards very well I want to learn to play em better.

completely agree with this.

That said... I found when i switched to just hitting a 3 wood the game became a whole lot easier. much easier hitting 220-250 in/near fairways than chasing errant drives all over the place ranging from 100 yards from the good ones to the bad ones.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Well most of the courses that I play range between 6000-6600 yards and I usually play the white tees. I'm really big on playing to a comfortable yardage which usually sits between 95-155 yards to the hole. This puts a full shot in my hands with a club that I can rely on (for me 7i - GW). Off the tee this usually means a few different clubs. I can hit my driver 240-260 but that does me no good on a hole that is 310 yards. I'm happy taking hybrid or 4/5 iron off the tee if that is what the shot needs. I am really big on playing to what few strengths that I have so if I feel that I am more likly to hit the green by hiting 5 iron off the tee, I won't hesitate.

The guys I play with outdrive me fairly regularly, however, my regular foursome has not beat me over 18 holes in over a year.

In my Ogio Bag
Driver - Cobra 10.5 F Speed
3 Wood - Cobra LD speed
Hybrid - TaylorMade Burner 22 degree
Irons - Callaway X-Tour 3-PW 52.08 Degree Gap Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled56.14 Degree Sand Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled60.07 Degree Lob Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin MilledPutter...

I guess it depends on what tees you intend to play.

Had a chance to play a local 7000+ yd course with my nephew who was at the time playing on one of the several satelite tours. I was struck by how few times he hit driver off the tee and how many times he used a fairway wood or even long iron. If you are playing off the proper tees (which is were we all should be playing, notwithstanding the ego thing), a tee shot should only be a prelude to the "best" approach shot and nothing more. (But then, he could hit his 5 iron 190 yds. That makes a difference.)

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

i noticed the same thing yesterday. I went out alone and ended up pairing with a professionall caddy that had tried a few years earlier to go pro since it got pretty busy towards the last holes. he didnt even have a driver in his bag. when he hit is wood (not sure what it was) it would go about 250-260. Not sure how far it would have gone on a normal day... the wind was ridiculous yesterday.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Personally, I'd rather be 250-290 yards in the fairway then 220 consistently. .

Obviously 250-290 in the fairway is better than 220 in the fairway. Most people I see who hit 250+ miss a number of fairways. On an unforgiving course, they would be better off 220-225 hitting more fairways.

I played a 5-club event a couple for weeks ago and carried my 3-wood rather than my driver. I didn't hit as far off the tee as I can hit my driver, but I only missed one fairway. Not having the driver made no negative difference in my score. Stenson just tied the course record in Sun City yesterday (-9) and never used his driver. And that is a long tough course. SubPar

Note: This thread is 5656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!