IGNORED

A wedge decision-making disorder . . .

Note: This thread is 5584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is an older thread I know but I have a question...

Would it just be easier for a high handicapper (like myself) to buy 1 wedge (say 56) and just learn how to hit as many shots consistently with it as possible? I don't know the point (unless your handicap is better) of having 3-4 wedges if you can't hit any of them. I'm currently using a old 56 Cobra Sand wedge as my only wedge (pitching not included). I'm getting pretty good at hitting most "wedge" shots with this and my only problem is spin which I think may be made easier with a newer grooved wedge (any suggestions on a new wedge?). Thoughts?

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

I'm probably in a similar boat to you... so I'll tell you my experience. (anyone feel free to chime in thoughts/concerns or whatnot)

(Played for about 5 months so far) At first I didn't have any real wedges... only the PW that came with my set I started getting good at controlling distance with that. But it would roll way to much (my clubs ive found out since are basically a club degree stronger lofted). Also it made flop shots near impossible to get near a flag with not much green room. I decided the answer was some wedges.

Bought a cheap 3 wedge set 52/56/60. Really just wanted the lob wedge as I wanted as much help as possible to stop the ball on these fast greens. The 60 was too hard to be consistent. For whatever reason I just don't like the 52.

Thus, for the past month and a half I decided to soley use the 56... and my wedge play has improved greatly. I have pretty good accuracy anywhere (except sand) within 75 yards.

I still wish I could spin it more... but through some testing i decided its about 60% my ability, and about 40% between loft/grooves.

Overall, I feel that I'm doing myself a great service learning to become very adept with just my 56. Next time I reach my new score goal, I'm going to try buy some "real" wedges... and go with a 54/58 setup to replace my cheap 56.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Note: This thread is 5584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!