IGNORED

First Impressions of Titleist 905R and 695MB

Note: This thread is 6115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I must admit I don't like the sound of that high ball flight. I get quite a nice penetrating ball flight with my current 983E which is beneficial when hitting drives into a strong breeze.

I'm due to have a fitting session with the Titlesist rep in June so it'll be interesting to see the results of how the 905R compares with my current driver.

Am I correct in thinking that most of the Titlesist Tour pros have now switched to the 905R ? Do we have access to the same shafts they use ?!!

BTW, very intersting thoughts from all, I've enjoyed reading them.

• Administrator
And I agree with your assessment on the R. Too much draw bias - I wonder if a small piece of lead tape on the toe would fix it? Would you be willing to test yours with some tape and report back?

I think I'd need a helluva lot of lead tape to compensate. I revise one of my original statements about the face - it does appear a lot more square than I gave it credit for originally. But it's just too easy to flip over, it seems.

P.S. 8 grams of lead tape would probably be needed to make it neutrally weighted, and with the heavier shaft, I'm not willing to throw another 8 down on the head.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I must admit I don't like the sound of that high ball flight. I get quite a nice penetrating ball flight with my current 983E which is beneficial when hitting drives into a strong breeze.

Most of the tour pros were using the T, though. And yeah, they tend to use a stiffer-tipped shaft which helps bring the spin down and keep the face open a little (i.e. if someone who didn't swing 115 tried to use it, they'd just hit low flares to the right).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have both the 905R and the 695MB's. I've had the driver for about 3 weeks now and I just picked up the irons on ebay last week (paid $525)
The 905R has the UST V2 75 stiff shaft and is 9.5 degrees. I can flat out kill this and still maintain very good control. My swing speed is right around 115 to 120 but I have a long swing arc and a smooth tempo swing. The feel is not as good as the 983K but the results are better. The ball gets up fast and then flattens out. I had the Fujikura Pro95 in my 983K and I really welcome the lighter V2 shaft. The lower torque may have something to do with the increased accuracy as well. I'm still getting used to the sound but that's something I can overlook if I keep getting the results I'm getting.

As for the irons, they are very nice but I would not reccommend them to anyone with a handicap higher than 6 or 7. I realize there's a little bit of learning curve when switching irons but my MP30's were easier to hit. This may be why you're seeing used sets on ebay even though the club was just released not so long ago. For some reason, the club I hit the least solid is the PW. I still haven't figured out why. As for the ball flight, it's a vast improvement over my MP30's. The ball gets up and flattens out. I have much better control over trajectory as well. I can hit a 4 iron high or punch stingers into the wind. Although the lofts are 1 degree weaker than the MP30s, it doesn't appear that I've lost any distance. This may be due to the lower ball flight and the fact that the clubs are a little lighter...at least they feel lighter. I still have a brand new set of Mizuno MP37s sitting in my basement and haven't decided whether I should try them or resist temptation and sell them as new. The MP37 heads look shorter and the top line is slightly beefier but having owned MP33s in the past I know how sweet Mizuno blades feel on a well struck shot. I prefer the look of the 695s...they just look more workable and unfortunately a lot of this game is mental so....I may just hold on to both sets for a while and see what happens.

The 905R is interesting in my opinion, because I really don't think it looks like a 460cc driver, it looks smaller to me. I hit it only a couple of times when I was playing with someone who had it and it felt excellent. I still believe that you don't necessarily need to go all the way to 460 but I guess you should take every advantage you can get. From my short use of it I can safely say that the 905 addition doesn't fall short of adding to the Titleist repetoire.

• 1 year later...
I have a natural draw... which can turn into a deadly hook, even when I'm hitting my irons and hybrids perfect.
I rarely hit a high fade, which I definitely would love to do consistently because I get so much distance due to the carry.

i want the best driver for my problem..
I don't want ANYTHING that is draw biased in any way.

What is the difference between the 905S vs. the 907D2?
Also, would the R7 TP 460 be better than ^?

Any suggestions as to which Driver and shaft that I should get would be great.

Swing speed is about 115, average distance is about 290 (when I don't duck hook!)

I'm already looking into the 906F2 fairway woods... definitely will own one soon.
Any suggestion on neutral (unbiased) hybrids?

Thanks!!!!!

• Administrator
What is the difference between the 905S vs. the 907D2?

The forgiveness. The size of the head. A few other things. I used to use a 905S, never quite adjusted to the 905R, and now love my 907D2.

Get the right shaft - that'll help you hit higher cut.
Any suggestion on neutral (unbiased) hybrids?

The 585.H is great, but there are probably some others. It depends on what feel you're looking for - the 585.H feels a tad more like an iron than most of the hybrids out there.

Note: This thread is 6115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!