IGNORED

Oddites. Weird shots. Personal golf bloopers...

Jay-Bird
Note: This thread is 5535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Talk about weird shots, golf oddities, crazy things that have happened on recent rounds...

Today I hit an approach shot from about 115 out. I had to carry the ball over a very tall tree - there was no play around, under or through the tree - so I decided to really go at a 56* wedge. I hit it super flush and thought I had enough on it to get over the tree. The ball clipped a tiny branch at the top of the tree and deflected to the right. I never saw the ball land, but I thought I heard the ball hit the cart path. I heard a loud "click" when it came down, but when I got to the area where the ball should've been it was nowhere to be seen. Not in the bunker, not on the green, not over the green. Gone...I went back to the tree it hit and noticed a small plastic drain grate embedded into the ground between the cartpath and the bunker. I gave it a better look and saw that it was broken open - a perfect hole. I ripped the grate out of the turf and resting inside the drain, on old composted leaves and muddy water was my ball!

Anyone else have anything different happen on the course lately?

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Haha! Yeah actually just today. I was about 220 yards out on a Par 5, so i pulled my 5 wood. The "fairway" was really wet and muddy like a soup bowl. I take my shot which felt like kinda bad contact, but not thaaaat bad. I look up but i dont see the ball flying anywhere, so i ask my buddy "did you see where it went?" hes like "no" I honestly thought it went behind me or something. We looked around for a minute or two puzzled and then realized I had crushed it literally about 4 inches straight down into the ground! We had to dig it out with a divot tool. LOL. Pretty damn funny.

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

Early last season on a short par 4, I have like 80 yards left a full lop wedge for me. I bladed it bad, it came out like a 3 iron. I thought for sure it'd be OB behind the green, but it caught a tree behind the green dead perfect, bounced back and hit the down slope of the backside of the green, bounces really high and lands about 15' away from the cup. My playing partner had a good laugh, and so did I.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

I've got 40 in on a short par 4 at a local exec course. Right behind the green is a steel maintenance building with the doors open. I blade the 60 degree, it goes in the open doors an richochets around against the steel walls.

I just walked to the next hole.

hahahahahahaha.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Hope a trip to a golf simulator counts. For valentines day my girlfriend got me/us an hour of practise time and a round in the simulator. She's only played a few times and with borrowed clubs, so I got her a used set for herself. It was about the fourth hole, a long par 5 and I offered my #1 driver which is a monster compared to the one in her bag. She picks out the tallest tee and proceeded to swing, hitting completly under the ball sending the tee "down the fairway" for an actually very good drive, but alas leaving the ball practically in place on the hitting mat. We laughed untill we had tears in our eyes. By the way, only 23 more day's until golf courses start to open up for the 2009 season here in Connecticut!!!

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

I guess the funniest thing happened to me during a PGA Pro-Am I was playing in...I was playing in a pro-am before a charity event for one of the PGA pro's and this was my first round with my old set of irons, though at the time they were BRAND NEW and had only see the range twice and the course zero.

So we get to like our 8th hole of the day and its a par 4 and I poke my drive out and now I have 144 was my yardage I believe to the pin which was tucked back left. So I grab my 9 iron out of the bag

So I hit a little draw and I'm watching it now and it came off the club beautifuly...I mean one of those shots you don't even have to watch cause you hit it so flush. So I'm watching it and its drawing perfectly...and then all of a sudden WHACK!!!

I have flown the green and hit the house's roof 20 yards beyond the green. Now my entire 4-some is laughing, including the pro that was paired with us (should be a 5 some yes, but our 4th didn't show). I looked down to make sure I hadn't taken an 8, and nope had my 9 iron. No wind, nothin. We all got a kick out of it. I took my drop and got up and down for bogey so it wasn't all bad.

Sumo 5000 UST V2 S
906F2. UST X. 13*
Sumo2 hybrid 2. X flex. 17*
X Forged. Project X 5.5:
RAC 50* Vokey 54* and 58* Cherry bomb Newport 2 35" One Black

A couple of years ago, I was playing a course east of Dallas with my best buddy. I was having a miserable day - nothing and I mean nothing was working. Got to the 16th which was a beautiful, long par 5, dog left. There as water on the left and a bisecting creek about 300 yds. out. It fit my eye very well so I though what the heck. I nailed my drive about 270 yds or so leaving me about 280 to the pin. I "decided" to lay up as the approach from the distance would almost impossbile lengh-wise and thus not prudent. I decided to cross the creek with a five and hit a short-iron approach.

That's where the "fun" began. I pulled my 5 iron into the water on the left. Dropped where the ball crossed the hazard. Now I'm about 270 out still, just a slightly different angle. Now I was mad, I pulled out my 5 wood. Boy was I going to show the world. Naturally I topped it. Now I'm laying 4, 250 from the hole. I'm really, really hot. Grab my 5 wood again but this time hit a scorcher. After much looking we were about to give when my buddy looks in the hole and finds my 250 yd 5 wood for an eagle. I couldn't hit a 250 yrd drive with any consistency much less a five. I could hit it again with a gun to my head. But however it got into the hole, it may have been the longest hole for par in the histry of golf.

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

I was playing at this really nice country club all courtesy of our family friends. Well wouldn't you know it I was playing one of the worse rounds of my life. Now bear in mind this whole course is just 90 degree dogleg after 90 degree dogleg. So we're on the final holes and I finally hit a great drive that cuts right around the corner and lands into the middle of the fairway. But this hole is the hole that borders the parking lot all the way around (horrible course design if I do say so myself). Anyway I'm sitting pretty in the fairway with a perfect 7-iron to go (ironically my most consistent club). I pull it and set up and think to myself "Ok there's no way I can hit those cars, right? Just don't shank, don't shank, don't shank". Well what do you know, pulled right into the parking lot. Luckily it only hit a hub cap. But I turn to my friend and say "Oh damn I think I just hit that car". And he replies "Thats my car!!"
Luckily there was no damage so I take my drop and have a perfect approach to the green, but wouldn't you know it I hit the one branch sticking out of a lone tree and the ball clinks back into the parking lot. I just walked off hahaha.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Many, many years ago as a teenager I had this start to a round...

I smother hooked it off the first tee and wound up next to a tree trunk. After taking an unplayable lie penalty, I tried to play back to the fairway. I hit another tree, the ball hit my golf bag (add two), then me, (add two more) then rolled up next to yet another tree for another unplayable lie.

I took the only sane option and picked up the ball and went home.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I got 2

1. I was about 100 yards out and hit thinned line drive that did not get above waist high but rolled onto the green about 12-15 feet from the pin. I 2 putted for par.

2. On a par 5 i was again 100 yards away with a forced carry over water. this time i shanked my ball, skiped on the water twice, then rolled up the hill and onto the green.

I was at this Local Course just outside Montreal , on a 30*dogleg par 4 and i pushed my drive way right. Now the course is verrrrrry open on that side , so it's playable from the rough , but i'm about 15 feet lower than the fairway , in some kind of ''ditch''. I took out my 5 iron with about 175 to the green and proceed to blade it really bad. The ball got up to ''fairway height'' and it was flying really low like 8-10 inches off the ground for a while . Without ever touching the ground , it struck the 100 yard Marker ( it was a small 4x4 piece of wood , about 8 inches tall , with the top shaped like a house roof) on the top portion of the marker , and flew maybe 25 yards in the air and 50 to the right , almost killing my best friend. we still laugh about it every time.

Driver : Sasquatch 5900 aka ''The square thing''
Hybrid : 3DX 18*
Irons : TA6
Wedges : tour action 588 Reg. 56*
Rac Satin 60*Putter : Eye2 black dotBalls : Pro V1x or E6+Bag : Carry bag

Re: Oddites. Weird shots. Personal golf bloopers... Man if you're really into this you need to follow me around.

As far as odd or weird, I'd say that was when my foursome decided to use my ball in a scramble, lol.

INDOOR GOLF (YARDAGE DONE BY COMPUTER)
My 5-iron that normally goes 150 went 200 SAILED THE GREEN
My pitching wedge that normally goes about 110 went 150 SAILED THE GREEN
Lost nearly a dozen balls, in the tiny little crevises in the corners of the screen.

OUTDOORS GOLF
(Why I'm not using a driver until I get lessons)
Par 5, Driver, sailed right into an open garage attached to a house, inside the garage was a mercedes. The ball bounced around in there forever, and suddenly the garage door began to close. (Did the ball hit the button?) I did knock on the door to check for damages, after no answer, I left a note & contact info.
Par 5, Driver, hit the toe with enough backspin that the ball shot right of the target line, gained altitude and began to slice. Literally going behind the tee box about 100yards. My foursome hides behind trees now if I even look at a driver.

I used to play a few rounds with coworkers at a local executive course, though most of the people weren't really golfers.

During one round into a ~100 yd hole my boss thins a wedge that bounces a couple times and comes down straight into the cup for an ace.

The next time we played, on the same tee a different guy shanked his tee shot 90 degrees to the right, directly at the green on the previous hole. It hits the pin on the fly and drops directly into the wrong cup.

The first was the only ace I've seen, and the second was the only time I've even heard of someone holing out on the wrong green let alone seen it happen. That they both happened from the same tee, to me is pretty weird.

What a great thread! I'll share a couple.

One time, a roommate who never golfs decided to tag along and play an exec course with me and one other roommate. Amazingly, his golf skills got worse and worse as the round went on. Highlights were a complete whiff with the driver with him landing right on his butt, and on the last hole (a tiny 90 yd par 3) we all laughed uncontrollably as he whiffed the ball 17 times in a row! He was a great sport and got as much of a kick out of it as the rest of us.

Another time, my friend had about a 110 yd approach shot over water to a par 5. For some reason, he got himself especially nervous about this shot, sort of talking to himself about not chunking it into the water over and over again for about a solid minute. Sure enough, when he swings, he completely chunks it and a huge mess of turf flies into the air. But none of us saw where the ball went at all. When we looked down, we realized he had hit so far behind the ball that there was about 2 or 3 feet of fairway missing behind the ball, but the ball was resting in front of the massive divot completely undisturbed. I've never seen anyone psyche himself out so bad in my life, and we were laughing so hard we could barely hit our next shots.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I was playing one of those neighborhood courses and sliced my drive so badly on the 18th hole that it bounced on the road running parallel to the course. It got 2 huge bounces and hits the front door of one of the houses across the street. A guy answers the door, looks around, shrugs his shoulders and goes back inside. It didn't appear to occur to him that it might be a golf ball hitting his door.

Despite that aweful shot I just hit, I'm really quite bad at this.

Now I'm laying 4, 250 from the hole. I'm really, really hot. Grab my 5 wood again but this time hit a scorcher. After much looking we were about to give when my buddy looks in the hole and finds my 250 yd 5 wood for an eagle.

How is that an eagle? I counted 6 shots.

Played with my father and brother many years ago, we were all green card players, so the results were never great. One hole my father his second shot into some bushes with a difficult lie. He hit the shot and the ball disappeared. That is, we didn't look and he didn't see it. So, nobody knew where it was. After a few minutes we decided to finish the hole. You have probably guessed it by now, the ball was already in the cup.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my 1st time my pop took me to play golf...I was using a driver from 210 yards out on a par 3.... yeah..from the whites... i was young...it was the 1st time i ever went out on a course and the last time until 2 years ago when i picked the game up again.

calm day in jersey. 85 degrees. i cracked it pretty good... hole in 1...
i said to myself.. this game's pretty easy.

hahaha and now i have problems getting it close with a 9 iron from 155 away!

my worst EVER was last year playing for money with a few of my friends.
I was having a TERRIBLE day. It was my 1st time at Crystal Springs in north jersey. i play TERRIBLY most of the time when it's the 1st time that i've seen the course...
18th hole...i already have a 102 so i'm about 15 strokes above what my hc states i should shoot... i'm gripping the club hard. really hard.
i say to myself..i'm gonna crack this drive 300+.
WHIFF
2nd attempt. i actually hit the tee from underneath the ball and my ball popped straight up into the air (don't know how i accomplished that)
3rd attempt - smashed it... but it went ob
4th attempt (5th shot) - bombed it down the middle.
6th shot - onto the green
7th shot - 1 putt. awesome right? yeah that's me. hahaha... pretty terrible.
since that day, my game's gone to crap and it's been in my head.... thus me always asking to help completely rework my swing for this year.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!