IGNORED

Consumer Reports Tests Golf Balls

xian
Note: This thread is 6485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone see this? Nike One Blacks came in first. Nike Power Distance Softs came in second (say what?). ProV1s came in 4 and 5 just behind the HX Tour 56. They claim to be "slicing through the hype", but I am willing to guess that people will disagree with some of the results. Unfortunately, they don't see to provide the raw data (i.e., distance in yards, spin in rpm, accuracy in yards) for each ball. They only give Excellent/Very Good/Good/etc.

Check it out here:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/t...6/overview.htm

• Administrator
Anyone see this? Nike One Blacks came in first. Nike Power Distance Softs came in second (say what?). ProV1s came in 4 and 5 just behind the HX Tour 56. They claim to be "slicing through the hype", but I am willing to guess that people will disagree with some of the results. Unfortunately, they don't see to provide the raw data (i.e., distance in yards, spin in rpm, accuracy in yards) for each ball. They only give Excellent/Very Good/Good/etc.

I'm surprised the Bridgestone or other Japanese balls weren't rated most reliable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i am surprise that Nike One come in first...i though it might by titleist pro v1 before entering this thread...
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

I've actually been playing the Nike Power Distance Soft ... my wife bought me four dozen of them for Christmas because they were on sale.

It's a surprisingly good ball, especially for the price.

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

I'm surprised the Bridgestone or other Japanese balls weren't rated most reliable.

Yeah me too, especially since the USGA uses them for their club tests.

• Administrator
Yeah me too, especially since the USGA uses them for their club tests.

FWIW, my comment was mostly intended to be a sarcastic comment on how Consumer Reports consistently says this about Jap cars, etc.

In other words, Consumer Reports is what it is. Take that for all it's worth.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
I was surprised the Nike One Platinum was not rated. The most consistent ball I have ever played. I've een playing for almost 40 years!

• 2 months later...
They do test the products themselves, and they also go by asking people in surveys about what they found about the products. I would say they are pretty safe to go by, being that the public is asked and thats what they go by. Consumer reports also test many products themselves.

hmm... Yeah i'm surprised the ONE Platinum wasn't rated, i like that ball as well. Also note that the DT-solo scored higher than the NXT, interesting

Equipment
Driver: Titleist 983k 8.5 speeder stiff
5 wood: Taylormade r540xd
Irons: Cleveland TA-7, 3-PW
Wedges:Titleist Vokey Oil Can SM 54,60*Putter: Odyssey 3300 DFX bladeBall:Titleist ProV1

Where did the Maxfli BlackMax come in!?

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

• Administrator
Where did the Maxfli BlackMax come in!?

Who cares? The Consumer Reports test was a pretty big joke.

My thoughts exactly. I leave equipment reviews to people who know equipment. If I'm shopping for a microwave or a lawn mower, I'll check Consumer Reports.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I care, it would be nice to see how it compared in their "test".

For what its worth, not much I am sure, the Nike ball they refer to plays very well for a short hitter like myself, about the same distance as a noodle with a driver, but I feel it is a better ball for shots into the green. For high handicap golfers moving up from from top flite xls, pinnacle etc. either of these is a good first step. If I lose two balls in a round it was a really bad round, so cost isn't the issue. Many golfers are like myself, short hitters, who can't consistently control their spin yet. I have tried both callaway hx and Pro V's, I had real problems with the Callways durability and on the pro v's good shots spun back as much as 12-15 feet sometimes and sometims released 10-15 feet. Nikes distance soft,noodles even stratas are more consistent for me.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
I care, it would be nice to see how it compared in their "test".

You shouldn't is my point. It wasn't a very good "test" at all.

To me, it really seems that there is no one real test for a golf ball.. Testing one aspect of the ball, like how long they go off the tee is nice to know, but there are soo many variables that need attention when putting balls to the test..

Test all of these areas with fast/slow swing speeds
1. Off the tees
2. Iron shots
3. Approach shots (Not sure how they accuratly test how much spin a ball has, but i'm sure they have something..)

Having a really detailed analysis of these areas, such as ball flight, distance, spin(i'm sure there are more, but I dont really want to waste too much time) These would be the areas of my interest.

• Administrator
These would be the areas of my interest.

And these are the things you must find out for yourself. I can tell you a Pro V1 will just about always spin more than a Pro V1x, but I can't tell you whether you want a Pro V1, a HX Tour 56, a TP Red, a One Platinum, or a B-330S. The differences in those balls are too small - and thus too unique to various clubheads, attack angles, swing characteristics, course conditions, etc. - to tell you. Only time and testing - yourself - will tell you.

And these are the things you must find out for yourself. I can tell you a Pro V1 will just about always spin more than a Pro V1x, but I can't tell you whether you want a Pro V1, a HX Tour 56, a TP Red, a One Platinum, or a B-330S. The differences in those balls are too small - and thus too unique to various clubheads, attack angles, swing characteristics, course conditions, etc. - to tell you. Only time and testing - yourself - will tell you.

Good point! Balls are pretty much unique to each player's game basically. Each person's swing is slightly different, giving different ball characteristics.

Note: This thread is 6485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!